1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help against Lei

Discussion in 'Lei' started by Hiryu, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Hiryu

Hiryu New Member

I play as Lau, and I think the Lei Fei is the hardest opponent.
    Does anyone has any combos or moves that are effective against Lei?
    And does the items have any other use other than change the costumes??

2. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

If you find one move that you can "spam", your not facing a good Lei. Leifei is a tough character to fight because you need to know him to know how to fight him. Once you have that, you will probably still have trouble, but you have to go through per situation and figure what your options are to fight against him. GL, HF /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Shaolin_Hopper

Shaolin_Hopper Well-Known Member

The best way to learn how to defeat Lei Fei is to learn to play Lei Fei. He has many sabaki and reversal traps that he can set up. If you're not willing to learn by playing as him, you'll find yourself falling prey to them all the time. If you learn nothing else about him, go through the list of his sabakis, learn to recognize which stances they come from, and learn which moves in your current character's arsenal are 'safe' to use against which stances.

More overall analysis:
    His biggest disadvantage IMO is that he cannot sidestep in the majority of his stances (IN stance has a sideslipping attack), so take advantage of that. His second biggest disadvantage is his nonstandard punch - his quick pokes sucketh mightily, yea and verily. These two disadvantages seem to hurt him against fast characters with decent range, such as Jacky, Lion, and Sarah (Those are the three that give me the most trouble, at least). Overall, his moves are fairly slow with long execution times. And finally, his throw game sucks hind teat on a Brahma bull, if you get my drift.

His advantages - he hits fairly hard, he has some of the easiest high damage combos in the game due to a large assortment of long range crumple stun attacks, the largest sabaki arsenal in the game, the auto punch reversal mind game, and he's one of the few characters imo who is more dangerous at long range than up close, since many of his moves have long reach or cover lots of ground.

4. IamthePope

IamthePope Well-Known Member

Your biggest advantage when fighting Lei with Lau is going to be you speed. Lei is not very fast, he makes up for this with his relentless attacks. Lau can be extremely fast, so try to interrupt Lei whenever you can with moves like [2][P]+[K], or just a plain [2][P]. whatever you do, DON'T TRY TO THROW HIM. you cannot throw a character in a stance and Lei is always in one. Hope this helps.

5. _stroppa_

_stroppa_ Well-Known Member

you can throw lei in certain stances.

6. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

only in [8][P]+[K]+[G], and even then, they will likely just [6][K]+[G] if you try.

7. Shaolin_Hopper

Shaolin_Hopper Well-Known Member

I've been thrown out of every stance Lei has except evade stance and bokutai. If someone is right next to you (within throw range) and you're in a stance without attacking, you better be in IN stance trying to draw a punch reversal or hesitating to draw a bokutai counter, or you're going to be eating a world of pain. Standing still in a stance is not something you want at point blank with Lei Fei against remotely competent players - one of his weaknesses is that most stances are vulnerable to a certain type of attack or counter, which balances out the strengths against other types of attacks that most stances have. Combine this with near immobility when in a stance, the inability to duck a throw, and the inability to sidestep, and it's easy to see why being in a stance up close without attacking is a bad thing.

8. Nybec

Nybec Well-Known Member

Evading Lei-Fei's attacks is pretty easy. If then Lei get in a stance after he attacked you have a lot of advatage since he can't block in them. For example when he is in his [8]+[P]+[K]+[G] stance and does the [2]+[K]. If you evade the [2]+[K] you can float him very easily with your heavy launchers.

I'm not an expert against Lei-Fei but this is what I believe will work in alot of situations against a beginner Lei-Fei.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Do more of [3][P]+[K], [9][K], and [6][2][K]. They all have good range and avoid certain attacks. The first two can net you huge damage. Remember that Lei Fei can't guard while in stances, so the risk-reward game against him is a little different.

10. Kimble

Kimble Well-Known Member

Learn the properties of his stances and moves and you'll find it easier to fight against Lei Fei. Lei Fei is very very weak in close range (no poking power) so take advantage of that too. He is very strong against Lau because Lau has way too many punch based attacks. He can't block or evade in stances and if you hit him in a stance you give counter damage. That's what i hate about Lei Fei.

11. haste

haste Member

This might just be beginner's advice, but I find a lot of Lei's strings and patterns to be linear. A simple dodge works well for me most of the time.