1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New VF4 info

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Yamcha, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this posted yet so I guess I'll do the honors. From IGN PS2:

The latest issues of Japan's Famitsu DC and Dreamcast Magazine have new information regarding Sega's upcoming Naomi 2 version of Virtua Fighter 4. Unlike our previous story, these new details are of actual substance.
    The magazines make first mention of Charge Attacks. When inputing commands for certain attacks, if you continue to hold down a button, the attack will become a Charge Attack. Charge Attacks seem to increase the damage over their non-charging counterparts proportionally to the amount of time the button is pressed. Additionally, a Charge Attack can apparently break through an opponent's guard. You cannot do other attacks while you're charging (Note: We're using the phrase "charge attack" only as a translation of the information given in Japanese. A different English phrase may be more appropriate once we've played the game for ourselves.)

Joining the Charge Attacks are so-called "Avoid Attacks," which seem to allow for a more defensive form of play. These attacks allow you to unleash a counterattack while you're avoiding an enemy's attack. We presume this is how Pai and Lau were parrying a la a super ninja action movie in the game's early video trailers.

Finally, the magazines make mention of the game's walls. Walls can be used as part of attacks, and can also be destroyed. By destroying a wall, you gain the ability to perform a ring out.

As mentioned in yesterday's story, VF4 is 55% complete and is on schedule for a June release in Japanese arcades. We're still hoping for a PS2 release later this year, and expect E3 to shed some light in this area.

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The "Avoid Attacks" sound like the sidestep attack (escape P+K+G?) that was posted about earlier Charge attacks eh? Maybe all that Birdie training will come useful after all...still though, charge attacks sounds like something that'll benefit the capable defensive player. I can see it: stagger, opponent dashes in to throw, recover, BOOM!

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

'charge attacks' reminds me of that FV/FMM charge up thingy. not good.

- phil

<font color=green>think you can win at THAT level?!</font color=green>

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Looking at the videos and thinking about the new ring-outs.......oh my good it sounds so stupid.........it seem s like SC were you have to hit the opponent pretty hard to achieve a ring out and in VF4 you have to break the gate/fence/wall , to do that, incredible innovation, I hope the wall throws still be there. and every ring looks like the other ohhh my good, just keep it simple or the mass market may refuse it....
    The more i hear about this ' VF ' game the more i'm convinced that it will be way behind the incredible third installment........but for PS2 standards it will certanly be fantastic

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I thought of too. But then, it also kinda reminds me of Tobal 2's fireballs, maybe it'll be like that where it's a high risk maneuver but also highly damaging.

As for the walls, well it sounds ok to me, I just want the uneven terrain back.

6. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Hmm what about this

I'm surprised no one noted this is JUST what it's like in Soul Caliber the longer you hold the button during certain moves, it charges the attack up where at it's hight of power it either cause a tremendous bounce back when block, or can crush through a guard, of course it needs to be charged first leaving the charging player vunerable. Hmmmm Yu if stealing from Namco, that how it appears.........

- The VF Student -

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Hmm what about this

Yeahhh in the past it was the other way around , and now AM2 is starting to steal ideas from Namco(SC), how low can they sink!?
    I remember an interview with AM2 some time ago, they talked about SC and how good the game was(easy accesible)......

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

True, but wasn't the guard crush stuff taken from Samurai Shodown? And Art of Fighting 2 had the tap for weak attack, press for strong attack idea before SC. Also we have no idea how many states the Charge Attack stuff has in VF4...

It's a complicated world we live in my friends; everyone steals from everyone.

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm...the charge attacks could be a welcomed addition to VF...I'd really have to see how it works out during gameplay. I think with 55% done we really can't quite say how anything is going to be...because even when VF is 100% done, we might see the VF2 situation with tweaks released.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu