1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Nobody likes a drunk.

Discussion in 'Shun' started by TheWorstPlayer, Mar 5, 2010.

1. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

So I decided to make a late and wrong Shun thread. Anybody care to share some flow charts or anything pertaining to Shun? One things for sure, most people hate the old bastard. To be honest I ironically hate fightings against him too. My shun is primarily offensive to a fault, how do you like to play your shun? Discuss.

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Heh, I think most people hate that most of the Shun-players online are turtles, or that turtles often choose Shun as their character. Im afraid I dont know Shun well enough to comment on him now, sorry.

3. TheWorstPlayer

True enough, Schakal comes to mind. I was fighting him with Goh the other day and his Shun was extremely defensive always keeping almost a half screen away from me at all times. I just can't seem to play that way effectively. Turtling in and of itself takes a different skillset. If you have that skillset and a mule kick/big assed sabaki then you're going to hurt some fools.

What I noticed is that turtling shuns like you to give chase primarily to suck you into a not so random sabaki. Reason being not many people will run at you with a low and the sabaki will beat almost anything else that's not 2 handed. If they do come at you with a low the Mule kick will eat any low out there. Asides from mule which has some awesome evasive properties shun doesn't really have any good in your face launchers. If you miss the mule kick your at -13. Offline and online I've noticed its really not good for much else than interrupting some highs and most lows. (which is good)

Anyway I'm trying to become more knowledgeable with Shun so I can be more effective if I'm going to continue being more offensive. Shun players like Shuns movelist though seem a bit...disorganized [​IMG]

4. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    I don't really play online, so I can't share any online tactics or observations, but here's what I've noted about Shun in the offline world.

1. Learn the special properties of his moves. Everyone know that mule kick beats [2][P] and occassionally [P], but keep in mind that [K]+[G] might open up more doors vs [2][P], and that if your opponent is high-attack-happy you may be able to score 4 drinks by using [6][P]+[K]. [3][K]+[G] is slow but has good range and can occassionally avoid mids and other lows. [6][K] gives you advantage on block, but gives you limited options even afterwards. Which brings me to my next point...

2. Keep your opponent guessing. This is important for every character, but Shun's bread and butter moves have significant limitations (Chowan is special mid, mule kick is -13 and doesn't give good damage). Coupled by the fact that he has no 14frame elbow, you really have to mix it up to counter your opponent. SK stance is helpful, but people are aware of it so make sure to not attack from it as often as you do attack.

3. Clean inputs. Once again this applies to every character, but a botched input make the difference between a loss and a win. Things like [4][4] > [3][P] turning into a [4][3][P] instead, and then watching as you were just out of range and your opponent smashes you for whiffing, or accidentally pressing the second [P] from [6][4][P][P] out of habit when you were in a situation where you could have benefitted much more from simply throwing out [6][4][P].

4. Zero frame throws. Your best friend. The damage isn't as important as the DP. Never stop drinking.

Enjoy playing with Shun.

5. TheWorstPlayer

I appreciate the input. Any suggestions on how to avoid the accidental 43p? I don't get it often because I'm afraid of attempting that back dash punish chouwan. If I could reinstate it that would be amazing. On other notes, excellent notes.

8k+g actually does net good damage with 8dp with something as simple as 3ppk. I actually think that I've sacrificed many matches due to trying tgo drink to much.

I curious tho, I've had mixed results with people trying to punish me off of 6p+k. Can someone always punish shun afterwards? I've had pretty reputable players screw up the retribution.

6. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    The best way to avoid the accidental 43P is to guard cancel after backdash. Backdash Chowan is much stronger and doesn't require guard-canceling, but it's not as safe and doesn't have as much range as 3P. Try implementing both into your game to increase your options (and thereby increase your strength).

Pace yourself when it comes to drinking. It's important to drink, but don't forget #2, keep your opponent guessing. If you're predictable with your drinking, you'll get beaten down. Keep practicing and trying new things.

If you mule kick and 6P+K afterwards, you'll be at enormous disadvantage, and a few characters have guaranteed attacks after they techroll (like Wolf using 66P+K). Every character can put Shun in nitaku. Only do it if you really think you can get away with it and/or need the drinks badly (but it's risky).

If you knock down with 6P+K, however, I noticed that I usually don't have any problem countering the person who rushes me. Not sure if Shun has positive or negative frames, but it's definitely not nitaku.

7. TheWorstPlayer

Maybe I'm just messing up my input for chouwan because I tend to get that 43p when attempting backdash chouwan. True on the 3P, is there anything guaranteed after a CH 64P?

8. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    I think you're guaranteed Chowan when you're in open stance, but I don't use the move very often so I'm not sure.

9. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Is it possible to play a Shun without any drinks whatsoever? I'm really interested in knowing this!

10. TheWorstPlayer

I do it all the time but you do more damage with drinks and get more moves including a launching CH 3p.

11. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    You don`t do it all the time, you usually hover around the 15ish to 20 drinks. I mean like disabling the P+K+G all together and playing matches after matches without going for a drink. No neutral throws or anything that goes into getting a drink either.

12. TheWorstPlayer

Why? Do you play Jeff without doing his knee combos?

13. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Nope, it's bound to happen lol. I get your point.

14. Freeman75

Freeman75 New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to forums and I haven't played much online, but have played offline with shun since vf2 and he's still my favorite vf. I like Shun beceause he's flexible/varied and uses the 'icecold' drunken kung fu [​IMG].

He has so many (hidden) brilliant moves, like this one I just found out even though I play vf5 since it has been released on the xbox 360 (I dont know if this is already common knowledge or not in this forum, wouldnt be suprised if it did with so much information here):

The move named Sou Rou Teki Sen has (I think its 2P+K) a very short sabaki property somewhere in the fourth frame. It can sabaki mid punches/elbows (I havent tested it thoroughly though).

I've also learned that the move named Ten Shin Gyou In from Sou Koku Kyuu (6P+K+G) also has a sabaki property. Whith the right timing it can also sabaki mid punches/elbows (I havent tested it thoroughly with all characters yet though).

Anyway, I just wanted to share something on this forum and like to find some friends to train with online or offline [​IMG]

15. TheWorstPlayer

16. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    I welcome other's input on this, but here's my 2 cents on DP:

0DP - Shun is lower tier
    8DP - Shun becomes formidable and middle tier
    16DP - Watch out! Top tier
    40DP - Best character in the game (probably even as low as 23DP)

@ TheWorstPlayer:
    People often forget or don't know this, but at 23DP Shun's 3P will launch on CH.

@ Freeman75
    The move "Sou Rou Teki Sen" is horrible! The problem is that you cannot predict when to use it because the sabaki frames are 40-52. I'm not even sure what Sega was thinking when they gave him this move. I'll use it very rarely to add flare or confusion, and it's only good thing is that after you perform 1P+K then P, it has very quick recovery, but still, it sucks! =)

This is a total guess, but, I've probably played over 100,000 matches with Shun since he's had that move in VF4. I've tried using that move, let's say, a few thousand times (not much considering how many matches), and I've had a successful sabaki easily less than 100 times. WOW!