1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Online VF dreams crushed, thanks to VF producer; says 1Up.com

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Mr_Frankie, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mr_Frankie

Mr_Frankie Active Member

Here's the link of info from VF producer Hiroshi Kataoka, today from 1up.com

1Up Article web page

Sad day for us Virtua Freaks that's for sure

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

thankfully

3. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

ditto that,

I cant stand them online whiny kids.

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

I was reading the GAF thread the someone posted on irc. Basically everyone saying they won't buy VF5 because of this. All I could think is, who gives a shit? These people will play the game for a month and quit.

5. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

i dont think it is sad,, I trust their opinion and if the game is going to feel different, Ill end up getting pissed.

Dandy J hit it right on,, those who say they would only play VF if it was online would only dedicate a month or two to learn it ,, play it ,, then dedicate the rest of their game play to first person shooters and Grand Theft Auto,, then think how great their ultra combo's in teken and DOA are the freak'n best.

BTW, I love how EGM conintues its love of VF.

dude-stino

6. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Mr_Frankie said:
    Sad day for us Virtua Freaks that's for sure

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's a happy day actually. Online fighters aren't the same games as played 1:1 on the same machine.

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

You know, its great to say "well, just play at the same machine" when you have people close to you to play. This is utter bullshit for people who may have nobody within miles to meet up with. I have to drive about 30 minutes each time I want to play with someone else. I know its a lot more for a lot of our players in the midwest. Even if it felt a bit different, at least you would have that option.

8. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

you complain about driving 30 minutes LOL

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Face it jewish boy, VF isn't coming online. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. Shadowdean

They may take my online, but they can never take my bitching! :p

11. Mr_Frankie

Mr_Frankie Active Member

I personally think that it wouldn't hurt VF5 if it wasn't online; I mean look at VF4 & Evo- I still have Cpu kicking my ass! But I mean Online wouldn't hurt. But, that would still bring up what we already discussed w/the other VF Online thread (frames, lag, etc.) I guess what I'm saying is I would love to see it happen, but as long as Am-2 keeps breaking ground with the VF series, I won't complain.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    "If we ever wanted to do an online fighting game, it would have to be called something besides Virtua Fighter," Kataoka says.

[/ QUOTE ]

So call it VF Online Megamix Jam, or whatever. I'm pretty sure VF will go online one day in one form or another, especially after all the other fighting games do.

13. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    "If we ever wanted to do an online fighting game, it would have to be called something besides Virtua Fighter," Kataoka says.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So call it VF Online Megamix Jam, or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
    My thoughts exactly. By all means bring a VF megamix with fireballs and shuriken tossing kangaroos type of game online. Leave the real, competitive VF game offline, like it's supposed to be played. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:
    shuriken tossing kangaroos

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I would pay lots of money to see this!

15. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:
    shuriken tossing kangaroos

[/ QUOTE ]
    Man, I would pay lots of money to see this!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't that happen in a certain game that starts with "T"?

16. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

dont forget a fighting piece of wood (vf has a fighting piece of metal ) and cute stuffed animal > vf kids pai carried it as well..

17. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Of course the exactness (is that a word?) of the game is going to suffer online. But that by no means makes the game unfair. It just introduces an element of chance into a game primarily aimed at skilled play. I think its this that made them make up their minds on not going online.

Offering online play would broaden the market, yes, possibly bringing in new players. On the other hand it would detract from the primary goal of the developers, to create the most skills-based fighter they can. (Unlike some other games which seem adamant to add elements of chance *cough* Lei Wulong's nuetral stance *cough*)

I'll remain ambivalent on this one... and say:
    Ah, why not? Maybe it'll work out. From a programming point of view its a small effort. And the possible gain if it hits could be massive. It certainly graces them in this prospect that they won't succumb, a romantic gesture really.

And this is coming from the point of view of someone who indeed has nobody to play with within a 15 miles radius. I've only seen a VF-cabinet once in my life, and that was VF2...

18. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Just got the EGM magazine that the 1up.com was mentioning about....thanks for working on the interview Zero-chan and Fishie.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment, but in the long run $$$ > sentiment. I bet VF5 will go online at the mid-point or near the end-point of its console lifecycle.

20. Shadowdean

You honestly believe that? I just don't see sega putting forth the effort to put VF5 online on a console.