1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Playing dirty? Playing... clean??

Discussion in 'General' started by tonyfamilia, Jul 31, 2012.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Can someone please help me understand? What is playing "dirty" in a fighting video game?

I'm not talking about lag switches and all this other lag-related stuff. I'm asking about stuff that would be considered "dirty" even offline... what is dirty about using every single move and tactic at your disposal to beat your opponent?

The flip side of this question is: what is playing "clean"?
    Is it doing what you expect me to do?
    Is it not attacking "out of turn"? ... (lmao, is this a fighting game or an RPG??)

Seriously, does anybody out there know, outside of lag-related nonsense, what is "dirty" in VF?

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I get accused of playing dirty all the time by randoms, no idea what they're talking about. They just must not like that [3][P]+[K] taste.

3. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    <Insert PO essay/rant here>

4. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    Bad: Spamming elbows 'til the yellow light shut down. Playing with no combo, no mix up, etc...
    Good: Making wonderfull combos, mix-up, etc... and destroying you're ennemy after letting him win a round or two. (last part only for opponent that are subject to rage quit ,etc...)

5. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

So if they keep hitting buttons that aren't guard while you have the advantage and you can elbow them each time for a counter hit, that's bad play?

6. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

That reminds me! I need to take a shower.

7. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    You've just taken a part of my reply but:
    This is not really 'BAD' because you've understand that you're opponent is a masher. But you could use (in certain cases) much more powerfull or interesting strategies.

Using ONLY elbows is boring, it works but it is certainly the most frustrating things to beat an opponent with only one move... By doing this you show you're opponent that one move is sufficient to beat him...

8. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    There's still nothing dirty or clean about those things though. That's just preferring what choices someone is making.

There's no such thing as "playing dirty" in VF unless you're using a lag switch or hacking the game somehow.

9. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Or picking Taka on the character select screen.

10. Johoseph

Johoseph Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lau of America
    LOL. I was gonna post something like this earlier but thought... nah I complain about him enough. Taka is the epitome of playing dirty [​IMG]

All joking aside though. I guess playing dirty = abare and clean = moral? Either way, if you play strictly clean or strictly dirty your gonna lose. You have an elbow blocked? 2p. But next time your elbow is blocked you gotta pull that Billy Mays special to clean up with a guard. [​IMG]

11. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Or Akira for that matter. No just kidding. Playing a top level player will make you think a lot of things are cheap or dirty. I know I've played against Akira, Taka, Jean, Eileen, Jacky, Wolf and I've been hit with things and said to myself "man that's cheap", but what I really mean is "man that's a good move, I better not get hit by that".

People basically call things cheap when they haven't figured out a way out of it and get hit by it a lot. But with this game and half life combos coming from pretty much every character, or Jacky's flipkick and Akiras bodycheck doing insane damage, I think there's more things considered cheap or dirty or easily abused. But IMO, if it's in the game and everyone can do it, then it's not cheap and if any complaints should come out, it's to Sega for putting them in and not the player who uses what Sega gave them.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    People usually consider "dirty" one single situation:
    If there is any technique / attack they dop not know how to defend against; then you find this weakness and use it against them.
    I was called "dirty player" because of using throws against people who do not press TE 24/7.
    I was called "dirty player" because of using stagger into big starter against people who do not unstagger at all.
    I was called "dirty player" because of using low attacks against people who did not duck at all.
    I was called "dirty player" because of using sabakis against people who just mash P with Lau.

And this is what "dirty" is.

13. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    What if you do moves that normally people could react to but it's near impossible online due to latency? I mean you're playing straight up but you're getting away with things that you wouldn't otherwise.

Is that dirty?

14. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    Its common for people to claim this is possible. I would like to see this tested on a 3 bar green connection, 2 bar, etc. Don't get me wrong, latency is there and can cause some issues but I do not believe it is as obvious as being able to spam a move and get free wins.

15. Johoseph

Johoseph Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lau of America
    Actually "spam" and latency have a tendency of working hand in hand very well together. I don't have any proof of this concept but just hear me out. Fighting games are heavily based on reaction time, VF especially.

Say if I block that 2p, I react with an elbow. If the person doing the 2p is "spamming" or whatever you wanna call it. Your time to react just got considerably shorter, he's already decided in his head to do another 2p after the first one, REGARDLESS of the outcome of the first. So his 2nd 2p is coming out on the first possible frame it can. Meanwhile the person on the other end actually CHECKED to see if he blocked that 2p. He did and now he reacts with his elbow. Unfortunately the latency was iffy and you get stuffed.

I feel like I don't need proof of this concept other than the tournament scene players. They all know it's true. Shit just ain't the same online. That same scenario played offline results in the 2p spammer getting CH'd all over the place.

IE someone playing with reaction instead of reckless abandon will perform MUCH better offline. Whereas the person playing with reckless abandon will get much more success online ESPECIALLY when playing someone who is trying to play with his reactions.

Not saying spamming is "dirty" play but I was just responding to spamming equaling wins, which it can do online.

16. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    There is no such thing as dirty play. "Dirty" is just a word used to describe something that the player can't handle properly. I was called dirty because I constantly use Sarah's 9K combo on people that don't know how to use space properly.

However, you also have the issue of lag. Lag makes dealing with random mashers and string happy characters a bit tough. Yet, I still wouldn't consider that dirty. Unless your opponent is purposely manipulating the connection to lag up the game, it's not "dirty"...

People need to stop whining and learn to play...

17. FlyMike

FlyMike Well-Known Member

PSN:
    FlyMike45
    "STAWP YEWSING DISHONORABLE MOOFS!! Or I gif yew BG thread/showtbox hate."

Seriously though, I think I need to change my current VF Dirt plan. I used up my alotment of 2Ps, throws, finished strings, not skipping replay, and moving after K.O., for the week.

Is there a way that you can upgrade to unlimited or something? I wish to maintain the utmost honor and class in the eyes of my thoroughly defeated opponent.

How many grabs are allowed on Tuesday mornings? If I 2P on Easter, do I need ti wait until the next full moon before I can 2P again? SOMEONE PLEASE, I NEED TO KNOW...

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    As my friend loves to say to such players:
    Stop complaining. The game allows it. Either get used to it, or stop playing the game.

19. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    only VF monsters play dirty. [​IMG]

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I wasn't a believer, but then i went to an offline event and got blown up by people i was hanging with and sometimes even beating online (thanks for that, Krye). At the same event there were others who i was even with online but i was beating no problem offline. This was Vanilla, but i found that even with 3 bars there is a difference with what people can block and react to consistently to offline.

Lag is the great equaliser as it affects higher end skills more. Using that lag to make things safe or when you know your opponent can't react to it is bollocks imo, and the only thing i'd consider 'dirty' in the game (other than the top tier characters, LoL). Offline, there are no excuses. Anything goes.