1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Power Supply / Voltage Help for VF2 Arcade Cabniet

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by JHow77, Aug 18, 2015.

1. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    Hi everyone.

Just recently when I powered on my VF2 machine, I would get a warning screen with something talking about the voltage. I would power off the machine and power back on and it would work. I knew this was a temporary fix so I purchased a new power supply. The first time I turned it on it worked right away. But a few days later, I got a new error message that was slightly different. I wish I had taken a picture of the first one because I can't remember exactly what it said, but the new error message reads, "WARNING! VOLTAGE OF POWER-SUPPLY IS TOO LOW. PLEASE INCREASE THE VOLTAGE UP TO 5.0V..." So again I would turn the machine off, then back on a few seconds later and it would work fine. But now it won't go past that error message.

My question is, could this problem be something other than the power supply? I find it hard to believe that a brand new power supply is faulty. And if anyone has any ideas about why there would be two different but similar warning messages please enlighten me.

Thanks everyone!

2. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Sounds like the BIOS battery is dying? Can happen in old arcade machines.

3. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
  4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I'd test the PSU just to be sure. Once you've eliminated that with certainty you can look elsewhere.

5. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    I just remembered what the original message said before I swapped power supplies. It said something about power or voltage, and that the backup ROM would not be saved. Because of this, every time I turned the machine on I would have to change settings. I figured this was an indication of the power supply, but could this indicate something else?

6. Das-Muel

Das-Muel New Member

I used to have this problem with my model 2 supergun setup. I used an ATX PC power supply and it usually threw up that error message. Changing superguns fixed the problem, even though the power supply was the same. So it might be a wiring issue - could you try adding some more/thicker wiring?

7. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

As someone who has set up a few Sega superhuman in tthe past, if you are having a power supply problem, it is usually the wattage that is the problem, not the voltage itself. I would look up what the voltage was for the original power supply for a model 2 and use that. The operating system for the later VF games like R was Linux. It tends to repeat an error message from the last boot , regardless of whether or not that error is valid any more.