1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ps4 Console Network Question

Discussion in 'Console' started by Auvii, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    Hi All,

I know a few times this has been brought up but I was looking for a more up to date discussion....

I have generally played on the Xbox when considering VF5 online play. Now the servers seem to be totally broke and playing ranked or rooms is near non existent. So I gave PS4 a try and subbed to the PSNow for access to the streamed version of VF5. This results in mostly low connection strength and a ton of lag. There are a few cases where I get a solid connection and the game is smooth. I have an excellent internet service and live in Virginia Beach, so lag is not a concern with any game or online activity for me.

So, does anyone else use PSNow version of VF on ps4? If yes, is lag an issue? I am considering grabbing a PS3 and downloading the full version of VF5FS to play via that method, since you cannot download it on ps4 (odd?). It seems a bit more logical that the downloaded version will have less lag compared to the streamed version. But unfortunately I cannot find any solid information to confirm that.

Any thoughts?

SoulTruth2013 likes this.
  2. SoulTruth2013

SoulTruth2013 Well-Known Member

I actually use PSNow to stream VF5FS. Lag can be an issue if your connection isn't that good. If you have at least 50mbps, it will work. The problem with the PSNow servers is that it will lag randomly at times. So it's best to go get a PS3 and play it from there. I think the PS3 version is much more stable than on PSNow. Reason why I am using PSNow to play VF is because I don't have a PS3 right now. But I will get a PS3 when I get the chance. Also PS3 games cannot be downloaded from the PSNow library except for PS4 titles and PS2 titles.

That's my take on it. Choose what you feel is comfortable to you.

Phoenix Force likes this.
  3. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

PSNow is not worth it. PS3 works and has a functioning ranked mode, but the servers are worse than those on xbox. Room match still works on xbox but you're unlikely to find games outside of arranging matches in Discord.

4. Phoenix Force

Phoenix Force Member

I concur, you're better off just buying a PS3. If you're Internet service is as good as you say it is then you shouldn't really have any problems playing PS3 online. They can be had pretty cheap these days depending where you look. Plus you gain a BluRay player if you didn't already have one.

Also the PS4 version doesn't even include the extras I.e costume packs and other modes so you won't really be getting the full experience playing on that version anyway.

The slim version of the PS3 is widely considered the best version I believe. That or Super slim.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Didn't know where else to put this, but this thread seems somewhat on topic.

After over a decade of not playing VF, was excited to get VF5US and played a few dozen ranked matches today. I was mostly matching against Japanese players which is bad considering I'm in Singapore -- and the lag is unbearable.

It's not as if characters are teleporting all over the place but inputs seem delayed and it feels like I'm moving in quicksand. I dropped most of Kage's TFT -> knee combos, and I can tell some of my opponents struggled as well.

Is this level of lag normal? Or is it just a reflection of my area? I'll try tonight and hopefully have more locals playing.

6. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Were you able to filter to a certain connection level? That sort of lag sounds rough, were they all four/five bars?
    Then you've got things like the other players are likely on WiFi, which would affect your experience.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey MadeManG74, I only searched for the "Best" connection quality. I didn't see any four or five bar symbols though.

So, my connection is probably the one at fault, because I'm the one on WIFI! Sadly, my Internet situation here in Singapore is not ideal for gaming as my sister was the one who set it up. The router is in the shoe closet and my bedroom is several walls away; I rely on a mesh network to get connectivity.

One thing I did try was to connect a LAN cable to the mesh node in my room and that helped tremendously! The majority of matches after were playable.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

A follow up -- after drilling a couple holes I was able to finally get a wired connection! It's night and day man, most games are really good now though there's still the odd laggy match.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  9. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Hmm, I tried setting the match making in Ranked to 'best only' and it was giving me awful connections. I'm fully wired up too, so I think the bars are just really inaccurate.
    I'm just going to avoid Ranked from here on out.

10. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    I jumped on this morning to test the game and the bars are very deceptive. Rooms were showing full bars but when I join the room it's all red connections everywhere.

MadeManG74 likes this.