1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Random tweaks.

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by CreeD, Jul 2, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

None of these deserve more than a mousefart worth of effort, so if you have other priorities... have at them.

1. Does anyone else want the "Continue" button moved to directly below the edit window? I mentioned this to myke before, but if anyone else is wondering why it matters - I'm fond of being able to press tab a couple of times then enter at the end of my post.

2. Is the forum nav bar (main index, search, my home, etc) supposed to extend all the way to the left and right edges of the browser, or was it supposed to fit with the rest of the table?

3. Any way to fool with cookies in such a way that pressing refresh doesn't automatically remove the little unread-posts indicators (red digits to the right of thread subject)? It still remembers what you have and have and haven't read sometimes, and other times it's all read, and I'm fuzzy on the rules.. but in general I'd prefer if it just always remembered what was unread.

4. We should have a dbpm instant command button.

5. Superdeformed VF char heads in place of these various gay smilies would be wonderful. Or even in addition to.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    1. Does anyone else want the "Continue" button moved to directly below the edit window? I mentioned this to myke before, but if anyone else is wondering why it matters - I'm fond of being able to press tab a couple of times then enter at the end of my post.

I like this idea too. Done.

2. Is the forum nav bar (main index, search, my home, etc) supposed to extend all the way to the left and right edges of the browser, or was it supposed to fit with the rest of the table?

I had no idea the nav bar was that way because I never run my browser (or anything really) at full screen. Thanks for pointing it out, it's now fixed.

3. Any way to fool with cookies in such a way that pressing refresh doesn't automatically remove the little unread-posts indicators (red digits to the right of thread subject)? It still remembers what you have and have and haven't read sometimes, and other times it's all read, and I'm fuzzy on the rules.. but in general I'd prefer if it just always remembered what was unread.

This is weird. Whenever I refresh, anything unread remains as unread. Not sure what's happening in your case.

4. We should have a dbpm instant command button.

*mousefart*

5. Superdeformed VF char heads in place of these various gay smilies would be wonderful. Or even in addition to.

While I'm not totally against the idea, what purpose would these serve?

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

While I'm not totally against the idea, what purpose would these serve?

Give this board identity, make it really seem hardcore-into-the-subject-matter. My dad does wine BB's, my mom does quilting boards on rare occasions, and I've seen various video game boards like TZ, and they all have the same damned gay smilies. Having the same concept, but with VF heads, would really look cool to newbies and it would give experienced posters something fresh and not-vomit-inducing to see when they're making a dozen posts a day.

I'm thinking like a perky pai for the smiley, a redcheeked lion or something for embarrased, a grumpy jeffry for the frownie, jacky with his shades for cool, and maybe shun for confused.

4. Dougydug

Dougydug Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm new and have used those "gay smiles" once ... But I even felt gayer just using them. I'm not sure the VF heads would be much good though - they would really small. It probably wouldn't attract me to the site anymore: smiley faces aren't the reason I come here. You could just have one bigger pic just to empathise with your post - /versus/images/icons/mad.gif for flaming, /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif for posting your win record, /versus/images/icons/blush.gif for apologising etc. Here are some ideas:
    /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif Shun -for stupid posts
    /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif Jacky
    /versus/images/icons/mad.gif Jeff/Aki/Wolf
    /versus/images/icons/blush.gif Shun
    etc...

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

hey, another random tweak I'd like to see, though only if others give a shit.... how about making it so that when I click on the flashing envelope icon that signifies new PM's, it opens in a new window? It wouldn't interrupt my usual posting routine and would save a few clicks.
    I think the change itself would be relatively simple, sticking target="_blank" into the url...

6. ono

ono Well-Known Member

yea, i agree with creed....it is a bit annoying having to go back to the 'versus city' page after i had already been there about to read a search page that i finaly found after 30 minutes of searching and 2 hours of reading.....just an example of why its a good idea.

-ono-

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I usually right-clicked over the flashing envelope and selected "Open in New Window" whenever I received new PMs, since I usually didn't want PM checking to interrupt my normal navigation either. So, I've made the small change, and, by default, a new browser window will open.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

[​IMG] You're pretty okay for a crocodile hunter, myke! [​IMG]

9. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

As for the super deformed gifs... well,

from TZ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from GI...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from Shoryuken.com...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from VFDC ...

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

/versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think you guys are doing a great job here. I run a forum myself, and I know what a pain it is. But a cute little Aoi animated gif would be nice. Something like:

[​IMG]

Uhm, ok, thats FFX's Yuna, but close enough, I suppose.

10. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Deformed characters

Those characters from TZ, GI, and Shoryuken are interesting looking and add color, but I think their implied meaning might be unclear in too many situations. For instance, would the use of Ryu indicate something different than the use of Ken? Is one just vaguely pissed while the other is ludicrously aggravated? Do you use Ken to indicate a flame?

I think smilies are far less open to interpretation (except for the visual difference between /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif and /versus/images/icons/smile.gif ) heheh /versus/images/icons/grin.gif