1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Reaction time!!

Discussion in 'General' started by El_Twelve, Jul 30, 2012.

1. El_Twelve

El_Twelve Well-Known Member

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

So according to this site, the average human reaction time recorded to visual stimuli is 215 milliseconds.

Do note that this is only an online website and as such would not be perfectly accurate. It should give you an idea though about how you match up to others. It also doesn't measure reaction time to audio stimuli which would be different.

My own average is 250 milliseconds.

215 milliseconds is equivalent to 12.9 frames in VF. This means someone with reaction time of 215 ms could block or evade a 13 frame startup attack on reaction if they were looking out for it.

In my case, at 250ms, I'd struggle to even block/evade a 15 frame attack on reaction, but someone with reaction time of less than 200ms could easily react to jabs.

Do note that high level Street Fighter players regularly react to stuff like Ken's low medium kick, which is 6 frames startup. That requires a fairly insane reaction time of 100ms.

Note that this works as long as you already know what you're going to react to and what button/direction you're going to hit.

Also note that fastest possible reaction time only comes with peak concentration, which cannot be maintained for more than a few seconds, and definitely not throughout a match.

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    My average after 5 tries is 196ms, but this shit doesn't work in lag unfortunately. Good to know for offline games though, thanks for sharing!

3. El_Twelve

El_Twelve Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. With lag, just add your estimated ping.

So if my ping is 50ms, my reaction time will go from 250 to 300ms. If my ping is 250ms(which is often the case for Australians), my reaction time goes up to 500ms, meaning free 30 frame launchers if I'm not constantly holding G. AAAAARRGHH!!!

4. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Mine was in the 190s last I tried. In a match you won't be this fast, unless you could get into the zone, but at that point you already know what your opponent wants to do anyway.

5. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    average 350.8
    1st attempt

6. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Hahah, 673 for me. I wonder if me doing it on my phone makes any difference. And that it's 5:50am and I haven't slept yet...

7. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that this measures your reaction time to just one stimulus and it is averaged, so mixing in other stimuli that require different inputs would probably reduce it a bit.

8. Jaytecx

Jaytecx Member

PSN:
    Jaytecx
    reaction time: depends how drunk you are when playing :)

9. Dae

Dae Member

XBL:
    Daemondym
    Well, my reaction time, after a long day of work and fairly tired, is an average of 221, with my best times being in the 195-198 range, and my worst times being in the 250 range.

Granted, this is using a trick I use at first person shooters, where I push down on my mouse button till I know it's just shy of clicking. My actual 'push' speed when reacting to a fighting game is likely quite a bit slower, as the buttons there don't lend themselves to that state of 'hair trigger' readiness.

Also, I'd likely be a little faster if I weren't so tired.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    average 260. Pinged the site. Ping 190.
    ROFL [​IMG]

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    246ms after 10 tries.

12. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I wouldn't trust the benchmark avg on this site. It's pretty easy to cheat, and a few good cheaters would really mess up that avg value. I'm good and slow at 344 using my macbook touchpad.

13. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

The input device definitely has an effect on your "reaction time." A mouse is the optimal tool.

14. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    5 tries, my reaction is 291... this explains why i can't block lows

15. Kobi

Kobi 'Noh' One Bronze Supporter

XBL:
    Waverusher Kobi
    I average 263.4 after five attempts.

16. End

End Active Member

Lol, average about 190.

I still hate Lion.

17. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    averaged 209.0 on 10 clicks. top 50 on the leaderboard. i feel so accomplished... [​IMG]

18. gastinell

gastinell Well-Known Member

402 1st try. 325 average after 10

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    This.

Not that anyone is taking this seriously, but I'd be careful about drawing conclusions of being able to react to a "XX frame attack if my reaction speed test result is YYY ms".

While these tests are fun for comparing raw reaction speed, the decision making process has been significantly dumbed down -- you're looking for one event and when that one event occurs you push a button.

In the context of a fighting game, in addition to looking for many events, you then need to decide on the "correct response" when a particular event occurs. For example, if the red box changed into green, blue or yellow and required you to left, right or middle click, respectively, that would probably give a better indication of your reaction and processing speed -- both of which are pretty key to fighting games.

20. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    246.4 average after five tries. Not buying it. I'm as slow as they get.