1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Remaining Notes on Post.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Akira Yukii, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Akira Yukii

Akira Yukii Active Member

I read approximately 7 flame mail letters. I laughed. In fact, I choked on my root beer, so I was also pissed off. But. That's not in point.

I'm going to finalize the discussion with several statements which should be read carefully and attempted to level with. If your not mature enough to accept opinions, and perhaps some actual PROBLEMS with your favorite fighter series, don't bother with me. Your simply not "ready". Furthur flame mail will be replied to negatively.

Drift on this.
    I give opinions. My opinions, are ALWAYS well thought out and legitemit. Please do not act like your in gods country while placing VF and say EVERYTHING is perfect. My honest opinion is the combo system works like a rusted gear. Acknowledgment for linking movements by the system is atrocious.

I'll be generous to the stupid and sum up what I'm getting at in one word.
    Virtua Fighter games as of and up to 3, drasticaly lack DYNAMICS. Again, for your dainty incoherant ears. DYNAMICS.

I find this problem is exploited by MANY 3d fighters, including both PS2 titles, SFEX3 and T3. The focus is without a doubt on fluent movements and graphics;
    both aspects Sega manages to capture FLAWLESSLY.

However, the classic dymanics are simply dismissed. Vibrant, flamboyant, irridecent madness exploding onto the screen after you whoop some rastafarian Jeff Ass. Tremendous flaring voices that chant Victory after a hard earned win against the clearly issue infested Lion. These small tidbits make things so much more rewarding and entertaining.

Next. I recieved a letter regarding my remark on plot. Not enough plot in VF. You know it, I know it. Don't think you know it? It's hiding deep down in your ass. Give me a flying cow and call me jesus. It's blatantly obvious. Who in high hell is Wolf. Some red haired erotic dancer? I want past. I want future. YES, flamers. I AM GREEDY. I'm simply suggesting we see some improvments in VF4, which Sega and without the shadow of a doubt PS2 hardware is capable of.

For the flamers. And for all loyalists or VF.
    Good points, since I lost my root beer for it. (bastards.)

The graphical quality in all VF games is OUTSTANDING.
    Creativity is captured easily in character appearance and of course moves.
    The general gameplay system is pretty unique; though classic ring outs piss me off. Whatever.
    Enviroments. Not bad. Need work. But not bad.
    FLUENCY. My god yes. Such fine pixels. It's. Good. Very.

Lastly. Whoever the hell deemed me insane and "fucked up" deserves a good pre pubescent spanking by their birtha of a mommy.

That's all I've got to say for now.
    Actually. I'm happy my posts caused so much hype.
    Entrances are important, ne?

Peace.
    -Z'

In fighting games, it's always better to fight defensively. This allows taking advantage of jump ins with a nice fulfilling uppercut special.

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Just a technical issue... why don't you post your "remaining notes" and "follow-ups" in the same thread as your main post? The way you're doing it now, you're just pushing other, resourceful posts down the board. Be nice, don't spam.

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I read approximately 7 flame mail letters. I laughed. In fact, I choked on my root beer, so I was also pissed off. But. That's not in point.

Those weren't 'flame letters', they were simple, coherant replies. No need to take everything personally, though some replies were of a 'direct' nature.

Drift on this.
    I give opinions. My opinions, are ALWAYS well thought out and legitemit. Please do not act like your in gods country while placing VF and say EVERYTHING is perfect. My honest opinion is the combo system works like a rusted gear. Acknowledgment for linking movements by the system is atrocious.

You are complaining because people aren't taking your points seriously, but what do you expect when you don't back your opinions up. You know, with facts and 'mature' stuff like that. In fact, just your opinions as to why you don't like specific combos, or even the entire VF 'combo system' would suffice nicely, and would mean you wouldn't get all the flames you got.

I'll be generous to the stupid and sum up what I'm getting at in one word.
    Virtua Fighter games as of and up to 3, drasticaly lack DYNAMICS. Again, for your dainty incoherant ears. DYNAMICS.

Again, you are making statements without a cause. Back up what you are saying, and maybe people will give you more respect.

Next. I recieved a letter regarding my remark on plot.

Do you think no one else can see people's replies? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif You sound like a wannabe celeb addressing his so-called fans.

One last point I would like to make:
    In order to keep the board clear of 'spam', please just press 'reply' next time you want to reply. Everyone else does, so why do you think you deserve a new thread each time you have something to say? /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Anyways, this isn't a 'flame letter', just my thoughts.

It was getting kind of hard to read, so I changed it to italics.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 08/16/01 03:44 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Hmm..
    apologies for messing up the format of this thread with my last post. I was merely trying out a new (to me) FAQ feature.

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

You still haven't cared to explain any of your claims, and specific examples of how VF lacks these so called "dynamics". No one is trying to flame you, but as the old saying goes, don't talk shit unless you can back it up.

6. Akira Yukii

Akira Yukii Active Member

Re: Remaining Notes on Post. ( for Yamcha)

Alright. A thorough explanation for dynamics for you and everyone else.
    By DYNAMICS a mean, small tidbits that make
    the game really stand out and EXPLODE sort to speak.

This IS an opinion, well. Actually. A preference.
    I and many others I familiarize myself with are fans of seeing
    a shit load of screen numbers, icons, what not.

Wouldn't it be neat to see something like KoF's "Striker" system in VF?
    Think of the jugglers! That's a dynamic.

I'd like to see Huge radiant numbers showing how many hits I obtain with a combo; clouding the screen wouldn't matter. It's rewarding.

I hope this helps everyone out with what I mean by DYNAMICS.

-Z'

"In fighting games, it's always better to fight defensively. This allows taking advantage of jump ins with a nice fulfilling uppercut special."

7. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

It was getting kind of hard to read, so I changed it to italics.

Yeah, cheers. That's what I was trying to do actually :)

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think you must have been playing vs. games for a while. You want loud sound effects, explosive onscreen effects, and lengthy hack stories. And combos galore.
    And the 'uppercut jump-ins' gave it away too.

You will never like virtua fighter unless you get over the fact that it is not a capcom game or a capcom-inspired game. I will cheerfully give credit to street fighter, but the combo system in VF is by far the better one.
    The big problem is that street fighter invented chains, which are just a way to crap combos in by hitting buttons. You're mostly doing combos the designers *want* you to do. Even in the Vs. games, which have huge combo systems, 4 out of every 5 hits is preprogammed. Chains are a lame way to make a combo system because they completely ignore the recovery times of each attack. Your attacks are changed to allow simple button-mashing combos. In VF the attacks don't change, so you have to really pay attention to which moves are fast or slow enough to work in a combo, and you have to find creative ways to speed things up, like the PKG's in VF2 and modified crouch dashes. Knowing these little tricks and having the dexterity to pull them off makes the combo system very fun, even though you will rarely see a ten hit combo and never a 20.
    VF is also more 'situational' than street fighter. Combos change according to the presence of walls (the SF equivalent is the corner but it's not the same) and also according to slope (in VF3). You also cannot get hits in combos without considering things like the weight of your opponent. The opponent's size and your stance almost make differences in whether or not regular attacks will connect.

Anyway, I don't know if you got any of that. But hell, who cares. You don't sound like you've been playing very long. You don't like 'traditional' ring outs. You probably are still trying to jump during fights. Again, this is not street fighter.
    It doesn't need a story, or supers, or flashy effects. It's a game about thinking, positioning, and reflexes. The fun is in being able to outwit your opponent. Anything else is a waste of Sega's time. I'd rather they spend one more hour tweaking the gameplay than another year on the storyline.

I can't believe I wrote all of that on a lost cause. Oh well. Maybe you'll find someone who's good to show you what you're looking for.

<font color=blue size=11 face="Times New Roman">
    CreeD </font>(possible sig)