1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Response from DailyRadar.com

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Nutlog, Nov 9, 1999.

1. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Jason,

Thanks for the update. I am going to speak to the editor-in-chief of the console section about what kind of coverage we might have for this
    event. I'm sure you realize that things are hampered a bit by the distance, as we won't be able to send a reporter and get some pics. We might
    try to arrange a phone interview with several players and piece together a feature on the undying popularity of the game. I'll email you if I am
    able to get anything useful to happen. Thanks again for keeping me posted.

-Jim

At 08:09 PM 11/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
    >Well, the Omaha VF3 gathering is shaping up nicely.
    >Omaha Jeffry and I will be picking everyone up at the
    >airport on Friday morning, and most of the prep and
    >setup should be done by tomorrow night. We will have
    >the 8 players I mentioned before, and we will be
    >having a formal "Mini-Max Battle" format.
    >

I might have my tape names mixed up, but you allknow which ones I mean...

>The "Max Battle" was a Japanese gathering of their
    >best players showcasing the characters, with each of
    >the players wielding their best characters against the
    >others. So in the spirit of the "Max" we will be
    >having everyone who is specialized in a character
    >playing their best, with the remaining 4 characters
    >spread between the rest of us, depending who would
    >probably give the best showing for each.
    >
    >The "Max" event should be starting around 3-4 PM and
    >will probably last about 2-4 hours. We will be taping
    >the entire event, and then editing a kind of
    >"Highlight Set" for each character.
    >
    >If there is anything else you want to know, please let
    >me know, and I'll respond as quickly as possible.
    >
    >Jason Clontz / Omaha Sarah / Nutlog

Practice up (for those of us who need it). Hopefully we can raise some more awareness of this great game.

2. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Re: my goodness...

"Max" battle....eh? I never knew I was that good at VF3 myself....

And...do you realize that I have rented out a DC to my girlfriend, since the NY gathering in August??

Also I feel obliged to use more than 4 moves with Jacky....geez...I'm not used to doing that.

3. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Hey. This is America. Land of the VF students, not Land of the VF Masters. We can probably make a good enough showing for most of the American crowd to spark so more interest.

Plus it'll add a little incentive to play to the edge. :p

4. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Jason, give NA a little more credit - there is no reason why NA could not become the Land of VF masters. Myself, and others I'm sure, are sick of the dogma that we, as north americans, cannot reach the almighty skill of the japanese, etc. ;) Bah.

Cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

5. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I agree totally. However, I think I'm pretty accurate when refering to how we are right now. There are a few who would be described as the gifted and excellent, but on the whole, we still need quite a bit of work.

6. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Hehe...I knew this was coming, Llanfair.

Since I am not a racist nor a reverse-racist, I say that everyone is capable of becoming a master in this game. Heck...most of the VF masters and my VF friends in Japan are highschool-/college dropouts (well I should not say this, since "education" has nothing to do with playing VF).

However, I can say that NA (again, as far as I see) still lags BIG TIME behind the top Japanese players. They don't read Gamest or check Internet for the VF strategies. What they have is the vast amount of playing experience.

Not to be condescending, but I can use my one hand to count the NA players who can beat me consistently (say...10 times in a row?). Whereas losing ALL NIGHT to 30+ people is not uncommon in Japan.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I thought you had two hands, Shota. Some industrial accident at the office with the shredder? Maybe with you having only one hand I can join that top group now :p

Nutlog

8. Llanfair

Why would you "know this is coming"? Is it because I disagree with ridiculous lists of who's great and who's not? Is it because I believe there are truly great players here in NA? Man, I'm frustrated.

Shota, your opinion weighs heavily on this board - no doubt about that. It just sickens me to see people uncredited, that's all. It's amazing that before this 2nd generation of VF3 players existed, when someone was credited with being a great player, it was accepted - especially if others agreed. There was none of this "Oh, well *I* haven't played them before so then the statement has little value". Why is it, Shota, that you value my opinion so little? It shocked me to read your statement about mine in the Soul Calibur vs VF3 thread. I made mention to the value of the soulcalibur.com system section and you went and knocked it as being of little use stating that the Japanese sites you visit are far better. wtf? I would love to ask Redpath (winner of many tournaments in NA) what he thinks of it? Then again, *I've* never played him so I guess I can't really trust his skill or knowledge of the game.

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Llanfair, I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I don't think people are really tryin to piss you off. Perhaps you have been really and truly, well..., blessed to play most of the best in the land. Most of us haven't. When we have to put together lists of folks to post on who we think are the best, it's very difficult to pull an abstration on someone who occupies more myth in VF than recent showing.

*Many have heard of JoShun, but how many can have seen him play? VF3, that is*

Some rumors are of the near stupendous nature, and seeing how unpopular VF is in NA it's hard to imagine such. I have to admit, the first time I played Hiro, he opened my eyes. But such sightings in NA seem VERY few and far between. For most of us, from Toronto we've seen a LOT of good players in VF3, but no GREAT ones. (At least I haven't) From Chicago, I've seen a few good players, and again, no GREAT ones. (Harold has the youth and potential though, and Jay is the Kashiwa Jeff of Chicago) The only person I know to lump into GREAT in NA is Hiro. The next closest would be Adam (NYC), Rich (Boston), Harold (Chicago), Shota (Chicago), Mike (St. Loius).

Now maybe quite a few others belong here. I dunno. Names like Jason Cha, Ice-9, Omaha Jeff, Nelson, Andy (Chicago), KBcat come to mind, but I don't know enough to respond knowledgably on those. I gave names of some of the best out there because that's what they are.

I'm not purposefully excluding anyone, but maybe greater exposure in local areas and makin more fuss and having more gatherings will broaden all our horizons.

Nutlog

10. Llanfair

Jason, don't worry - I'm not pissed at anyone...nor am I trying to start a fight or a flame thread, etc. ;) Really I'm not - you've met me, I'm not that kind of guy.

I do agree with you - great players are few and far between. I dunno, maybe I'm being 'old school' but there are many out there who were very good at this game. I'm not going to name names, etc because we all it's useless. You do have a point about the gatherings - they are very useful and loads of fun. But we all must finally realize something - VF3 is a dead game. We are the last who actually play with any consistency. It's too bad, really, because it's such a great game. I just think that greatness in players is now something of the past not the present...ok, I am going to name names ;)...the Brian Mak's, the Robertson's, the Lan's, the Superdoug's of this game are no more. And it's disapppointing. Maybe I'm just getting defensive when I see those who were deemed excellent players replaced by the 2nd gen of VF3 - who knows?

Anyway, I do apologize for the brashness of my last post. ;)

Cheers,

11. Guest

Guest Guest

>you've met me, I'm not that kind of guy.

i was going to say that i *was* that kind of guy, and i wrote a really vicious post/flame regarding people i've played, and the people who post here, and what i think of them. what little brain i have looked over what i wrote and said..."rich, you'd *really* better not post that". so i deleted it.

i'll just say that, for me, the current generation and period of VF is nowhere near as fun as the VF2 and early VF3 days. the gatherings were more fun, the play was better, the atmosphere on the net and in person was warmer (even the flames and spats and tiffs were better then).

i just don't get as much out of VF and the new VF community as much as i did before.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Rich...you've only been to one gathering and you left early too at that! I think you need to give this current VF community more of a chance. I for one, immensely enjoy these gatherings, not only for the VF play but for the camaraderie and the friendships formed.

ice-9 | Sennin