1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Reversal + throw escapes

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by archangel, Jan 3, 2004.

1. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I was going throught the guide the other day in vf traning menu and i came across reversal + throw escapes. I started having a go at it but was pretty unsucsessfull at pulling it off or the cpu just does not fall for it . Doing a reversal with pai leaves you extremly open to attack and found that 9 times out of ten the cpu just does a combo starter and well the rest is history. My quesion is does anybody have any solutions to using reversal throw escapes or is it possible to evade while doing all of that.

Archangel now goes and sits in the corner and hopes somebody doesnt say "use the search" /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Dunno about this (gonna look up the training later) but I guess the theory behind it is that you use reversals when you're at a disadvantage and that the opponent can use his advantage after a blocked move against you to threathen with a throw or an attack. With a reversal TE you can get out of the trow part (but you can still get your ass kicked by the attack that would MC you).
    So this all boils down into a hardcore situation with Yomi that the computer generally doesn't do etc but would work against a real opponent. Say the opponent believes that you will try to evade at your little diss and will try to throw you = you win with the correct TE's etc etc. If he does an attack that you happen to have guessed right on you reverse him. Stuff like that. The computer will generally not try reverse Nitaku / delay attacks etc and will attack you when it has a small advantage and not try to throw you (unless it has a TC situation) making it so you should really try this against a real person and not a computer.

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmm, well there's no doubt about it you are vonerable to attacks when you whiff a reversal.

i don't know how many frames you are vonerable by, but it would probably be abit more helpful to find out how much time you have. Most people are not likely to make a choice as soon as you whiff, so you may not be always as punishable as you think. mabye you'd reversal, TE, G no? my guess is that you'd be upto knee class vonerable max, but if you have enough time to guard a big launcher, then by all means it's worth doing.

as KwiE mentioned, it's best to do it in a 2-taku tight choice of like a you're at -6 blocked where you either eat a small attack (i'd say up to elbow class) or throw, that way, you'd make use of the reversal TEs, and not be at as much of a risk. but also, it's best to make use of this against opponents. or for example as you TR, and the opponent comes in for an attack or throw, you can then use the reversal TE method for a catching an attack, or avoiding a throw.

*Tbbw taunts archangel with low P cut reversals* /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

I would think you would only want to use RTE or TMTE when you are at disadvantage, but not enough to give a free throw. Here as you can defeat his elbow or knee class attacks and avoid 2 to 3 throws. Imo, 99% of the time rte is useless. It's just not worth it to risky being floated with your weight class. there are better options generally speaking.

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

i didn't even know ps2 had training for this... silly me.

imhNoobieO,

i agree that RTEs are mostly useless, and ETEs and its variants are better generally speaking. but, i use RTEs somewhat, but only with Aoi. i actually do RTEs when i'm at a big disadvantage. i'm probably wrong about this, but i think reversals which are 1 frame exec, are faster than evades. and the fact that Aoi's reversals cover crescents, and moves that appear to track, helps too. i think Aoi is still better off doing ETEs mostly, but RTEs just gives her another option to mix things up, combined with many of her other defensive options (her sabakis, YY, b,b+p+k, b,df+p, etc) i do have have some success with this, at least against my scrubby competition.

i'd never do RTEs with any other character- they just don't have the reversal coverage to make it worthwhile (no crescents, shoulder, etc), and i don't see the point of doing them over ETEs for the other chars. heck, Vanessa's reversals don't even cover elbows and knees, making her reversals esp risky.

i'd love to hear more regarding from the others.

6. archangel

Thanks for the opnions people, i've been trying it out recently at a friends house seems to be pretty usefull against the right characters, and a mix between ETE and RTE is the best way to go about it .

p.s is there a list of reversalble moves anywhere.

7. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

I do them somtimes with Akira. Mid reversal, two biggest throws. Sabaki, two biggest throws. Doesnt work in Quest, CPU will stop thier move and duck. However on VF4 it was very effective. After sabaki, throw breaks will cancel your next move. So Id opt for catch throw.

8. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

For Pai it's just any single-limbed attack like High/mid punch, high/mid elbow, knee, mid kick or heel kick. IMO, RTE is better when you want to react to your opponent's move (like if you're crouching and you want to bait them into an elbow or something). I think it's too risky to use after a move gets blocked because there's alot the opponent can do to mess up your timing.

9. KingofcarnageVF

Blocked sweep is good example. Reversal, low throw break depending on char. Because of the crouch I would the attack Will be mid. A high throw would require a slight delay by the opp.

10. agios_katastrof

Yeap, a blocked sweep is the most common situation where I use a RTE. It makes Aoi's d+k+g so much better (safer)- the enemy almost aways responds with low throws or mid attacks (usually a knee or something).

11. KingofcarnageVF

Yeah forces them to think and not be machine-like

12. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    agios_katastrof said:

Yeap, a blocked sweep is the most common situation where I use a RTE. It makes Aoi's d+k+g so much better (safer)- the enemy almost aways responds with low throws or mid attacks (usually a knee or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a RTE after a sweep gets blocked doesn't have many points. If your opponent knows what's garanteed after it, chances are you have no chance of reversing it even though they use a mid attack.

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"general response"

i guess reversals in general are pointless unless they are for uncounterable attacks. with big knees, you have alot more choices if you simply block the move.

infact, it's sortta the same for blocking high disadvantage attacks to like elbow type attacks. i guess i would say that it DOES pressure the opponent into using their attack less, or switch methods especially if you face a jacky who can't stop using the same old F+P crap..

then in that sense pointless is'nt the correct word, i'd say it's a straight intimation tool, especially if the opponent knows you are good at it. ^______^

btw, when people bait crouches, they normally get low thrown blaytant :p atleast where i play.. but yeah, if you can punish kage's K+G crap then i see your point (shang)

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    archangel said:

p.s is there a list of reversalble moves anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, the VFDC command lists have a reversal column.

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Pretty much ANY time you go for a reversal, you might as well go for an RTE--just in case.

16. KingofcarnageVF

Very good suggestion!

17. archangel

thank u myke /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. agios_katastrof

hey, that is a good suggestion! feel stupid for not doing that already.

re: guaranteed moves after a blocked sweep stuffing reversals- yeah, i guess so. but for some reason, perhaps due to my scrubby competition, i'm pretty successful with mid reversals after a blocked sweep, esp when they are of the knee/floater variety. and they tend to do the these big moves, since they are already in the D position, lending easily to Sarah's D,f+k+g type of moves.

19. Mysterious_Red

Mysterious_Red Well-Known Member

I use akira, believe him to be the best reverserler (if that's even a word /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) in the whole game. well the reason is because he can reverse every attack level low high med, and the reverse commands are SOOOO easy. i realli couldn't reverse that well when i started but the trick i've learned is DO NOT ENTER THE REVERSE command exactly when cpu/oppenent has attacked, wait a bit, then do it. wrk's all the time /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. archangel

yeah and what does that have to do with throw reversal throw escaping. Your wrong aoi is is the best person for reversals as she is the only person in the game to be able to reverse shoulder rams,flip kicks etc etc etc. I have no problem doing reversals but thanks for your seggestion anyway.