1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SEGA CUP travel thread.

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by 00000000, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    Hey guys! Use this thread to organize and find your way to Sega Cup. Make sure to let people know where you're coming from.

Also, my place is up for housing, I live in Downtown LA and I can drive up to Four people to Walnut with me. I'll need to know ahead of time how many people, if any, need to stay here so I can make arrangements as I do not really own bedding other than my own. If people are staying here then I'll go out and get blow up mattresses and blanketing. If staying or riding with me, I really only ask for gas money, I"m unemployed so times is tough. PM me if you're interested.

Here are some maps to give you an idea what the area is like (Album http://imgur.com/a/X4xAl):

LAX to Walnut:
    [​IMG]
    Burbank Airport to Walnut:
    [​IMG]
    Downtown LA to Walnut:
    [​IMG]
    Holly Wood To Walnut:
    [​IMG]
    Nearby Hotels:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ShinyBrentford and BLACKSTAR like this.
  2. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    I'm coming in from MA - it's my first time travelling cross country for a major so any advice regarding planes and hotels is appreciated.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm considering the trip from the UK, so information on hotels/places to crash travel would be greatly appreciated.

BlueLink, Chefboy_OB and cobratron like this.
  4. MotorCityJacky

MotorCityJacky Well-Known Member

Just booked online with delta from Detroit to LAX for $361 round trip, Tuesday 16th - Monday 22nd.

Chanchai and Craigbot like this.
  5. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Anybody have housing or willing share a room?

6. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    that is the biggest issue for me here I need a reasonable hotel at a decent price. I was told that price of flying would be decent but the price of the hotel would hurt the most financially. Going to Winterbrawl was okay because it is so close to my where I live on the east coast. Going to Sega Cup is something completely differently though. Any info in this area would help alot since I am limited in the area of cash most of the time.

7. Craigbot

Craigbot Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Craigbot
    That's good, I hope you'll be prepared and ready to take down people.

8. nou

nou Well-Known Member

MarlyJay likes this.
  9. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    If anyone would share a room with me it would be great that way only the flight there will be an issue. Yes Blackstar I would gladly be willing share a room with you or any die hard VFer on that matter if it will make the situation easier for me financially. If anyone is interesting in this let me know via PM or something. Right now I am only concerned with getting there and checking out prices for cheap flights from DC to LA at this point. There is still time to reserve everything but that will come after I get paid again unfortunately.

10. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    Does anyone know how many people we can fit into a room? The more the merrier (and cheaper)

at the area Femto listed

11. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    When I went to SoCal Regionals I had a hotel & car - i REALLY recommend the car because I dont think there is a linked metro system from the closest airport is at least 20-30 minutes away by car. (John Wayne or Ontario - dont remember which one is closer)

I recommend United Auto Rental for those of you between the ages of 18-24 that don't have credit cards (they take debit cards, prepaid cards, and cash. Deposit goes based on car type with minimum $250 which is standard deposit for car rentals). If you are 25+/have a credit card or good credit you have a lot more options open to you.

Overall, Getting the true California experience just can't be done without a car so i would REALLY recommend that.

Also, I haven't arranged my flight/hotel plans yet but if anyone wants to figure something out let me know when u get a chance.

*note - you must bathe and have knowledge of teeth brushing

00000000 and Chefboy_OB like this.
  12. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I've been looking at several hotels since Sega Cup was announced. This seems to be great spot with comparable rates and closer to Super Arcade than Shiloh Inns. Also they have actual "suites" unlike Shiloh Inn which are more like one big room.

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=2&pn=1&ps=2&tab=description&searchDestination=1211 North Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789, USA&hotelId=113552&arrivalDate=04-18-13&departureDate=04-21-13&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

Last month it was $95 a night today its $83 which is only $4 more than Shiloh. It could go back up or get even cheaper from now til then.

13. nou

nou Well-Known Member

^ That one is showing $76 for me.

14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Delete your cookies. They actually raise the price as you visit the site more ;)

Chefboy_OB and Dennis0201 like this.
  15. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Hey shadowmaster, pm me

I'm getting ready to buy a plane ticket before the prices go up 60 bucks, but I wanted to ask everyone; are your plans to come to LA on Wednesday (for WNF) or Friday?

16. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

From what I hear WNF and a Friday Casual event should be happening at Super Arcade. I am also guessing someone from Socal will be having gatherings throughout the week.

Even though I think Super Arcade is safe, I would also check about Hotel cancellations in case the event moves to a new venue. This also adds to the importance of having a car rental as well.

My recommendation is to try to group up and split the costs of the hotel and car rental.

Best time to buy a plane ticket is Tuesdays 3pm EST. Discounted airfares are pulled by Thursday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday you are probably paying full price.

oneida, 00000000 and BLACKSTAR like this.
  17. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Man, hotel prices are nuts... looking to split a room if possible. Planning to fly in Friday night and leave Sunday or Monday.

18. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    That is my basic plan to show up on that friday and leave that monday. I can't afford to stay long along to take part in Wednesday night fights like I would have wanted and I need to find a roommate when I arrive staying there for about as long as I am too.

19. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    If I wanted to wait 'til two weeks from now to buy plane tickets, how much more would I be spending?

Shadowmaster if you're still looking for someone to split a room with I'm in.

20. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Just bit the bullet and dropped $306 on plane tickets. Gotta do it anyway, better sooner than later.