1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sega Forever Discord: Official Sega Discord with Port Request Channel

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Aug 2, 2020.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Hey team, Sega has opened an official Sega Forever discord;

This is primarily a retro Sega hangout officially run by Sega. Interestingly, they have a channel specifically for Port Requests.

A lot of people have been asking for Virtua Fighter ports to PC/Next Gen already, but it's worth getting some more voices in there to let them know we want it.

While we do do spam twitter a lot, and of course Sega Europe knows about our tournaments and support etc, considering this is an official discord with a specific channel, I think it's worth voicing our wishes there.

discord.gg/SEGAForever

Jotamide, VFnumbers and beanboy like this.
  2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Given that working on a new VF game is obviously not SEGA's priority right now I propose that we, as a community (of potential buyers), come up with a list of features we would like to see for a VF5FS re-issue. I mean if we're going to campaign for a re-issue, might as well :)

I know there are couple of threads with feature requests for a potential VF6 (for example https://virtuafighter.com/threads/vf6-wishes.13849/) but most of the proposals in those threads require significant resources to be dedicated to developing a new game. I propose we come up with a list of features that even a part-time intern would be able to implement.

Some ideas:
    • All existing VF5FS console DLC (frequently the case for "gold"/"remastered"/"ultimate" editions)
    • All music from previous versions of VF (this is already the case for VF5R music so it shouldn't be that hard to implement) with option to randomly select/predefine for each stage (suggested by @Tha_FeauchA)
    • All modes except online ranked: toggle option to show frames (see here for rationale)
    • Online features: Dojo mode while waiting for an online match; option to see connections as a latency number rather than the five bars (suggested by @MadeManG74); random costume option
    • Online player match features (online versus): instant rematch for online player matches without having to go back to the loading screen (like for offline matches), First to 3/5/10 mode; select stage option
    • Online lobby features (online multplayer): bigger lobby, tournament mode(s), the ability to join a room at any time instead of only when no one is fighting (suggested by @VF2011); option to show selected characters; "around the world" option to rotate out players when they beat everyone else in the room; loser stays option (useful when leveling up newbies); host stays option (useful for streamers); spectator option (to skip the queue but still observe matches); simultaneous matches when the room has 4+ players (suggested by @MarlyJay )
    • Special sparring mode: completely random (currently only teams)
    • Dojo mode: remember settings (with an option to reset everything)
    • Replay mode: pause, rewind and fast forward (suggested by @Tha_FeauchA)
    In other words, apart from the DLC, mostly quality of life features that would justify double-dipping in a 8 year-old game.

Some notes:
    • I am hesitant to add requests for re-balancing to the the list because it probably require a 3d artist (so that would mean dedicating a team to the game, not a single maintainer)
    • I am also hesitant to add requests for features from previous games because they might/probably have been coded in a different programming language (so that would require a team of coders to adapt). Believe me, I would love to see a return of the VF4 AI training mode, and if the bots were made available online, it could also solve the problem of not finding online opponents, but that doesn't seem very realistic.
    Overall, I am afraid that SEGA might scrap VF forever if a re-issue is not as successful as they would like - kind of how Konami scrapped Silent HIll after a minimal last effort with PT. So if there is a re-issue, it would be in our best interest to help SEGA make it as attractive as possible, without burdening them too much. So if you also think it's worth compiling such a list I can keep updating this post with any other ideas mentioned.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    MadeManG74 and jimi Claymore like this.
  3. MadeManG74

Good post @erdraug !

I agree with all the changes you suggested, especially the DLC inclusion and ability to wait in Training Mode while looking for matches.

I also definitely think there shouldn't be any balance changes or the like, just give us the game on more platforms!

I'd maybe suggest an option to see connections as a latency number rather than the five bars?

Obviously people would ask for rollback netcode, but I don't think it would be an easy task/possible without huge amounts of work for Virtua Fighter.

Tricky likes this.
  4. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    The ability to join a room at any time instead of only when no one is fighting is a must. Even when the game was released it was impossible to find a room since you had such a short window to find and join the rooms.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  5. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Yeah even though it causes a lag spike and fucks up matches. As long as you can join a room , because that's what's important.

6. MadeManG74

Would it be possible to 'Join' the room by being put on a waiting list if not? That way you can see when there's an availability and wait to join when the match is over?

7. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    A possible solution that should not require that many resources to implement would be to disable spectating for anyone joining a lobby once a match is already underway. This should not create any lag, but just in case it does (I'm no coder), another solution would be to send a request to join the lobby; once the match (that everyone already in the lobby spectates) is over, the lobby's creator receives the request and can accept or decline. On accept [6_] join the lobby; on decline [6_] receive a message that the join request was denied + be placed on an 10-minute-increment timer (to avoid spamming requests that would be somewhat annoying for a lobby creator).

beanboy, MadeManG74 and jimi Claymore like this.
  8. Jotamide

Jotamide Well-Known Member

MadeManG74 and jimi Claymore like this.
  9. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

So Virtua Fighter games have been the most requested thing is the #port-request-discussion channel, please join the server and keep the momentum going!
    come on!

10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Yakuza 7 comes to PC in November. The hope is to run the VF5FS in that game for online play, yeah? I wonder if Sega is even going to look at how many times it gets accessed in the arcade?

12. Thesch28

Come on dude let's not settle for less for once, the Yakoozer port is literally the worst version of FS what would be the point of playing that version with parsec when we can already play the much better ps3 version with rpcs3 online using parsec? even then playing games online with parsec is not ideal at all!

We need a proper pc port with extra features and online.

Let's all do something and get everysingle person interested in a Virtua Fighter pc port into that Discord and ask together.

https://discord.com/invite/SEGAForever

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    jimi Claymore likes this.
  13. MadeManG74

As Thesch28 said, the Yakuza 7 version is trash. We'd be better off running an emulator for PS3 and doing that instead.
    Even that is a half-way solution that isn't great, we should keep letting Sega know there's a market for VF.

14. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Yes ... The Yakuza/Judgement version of VF5FS isn't something to fight for.

We deserve better.

Superspacehero and MadeManG74 like this.
  15. Thesch28

MadeManG74 likes this.
  16. MadeManG74

OK everyone;
    Sega's port requests channel has been updated in their Sega Forever forum. Now they have a voting system so you click the little thumbs up. They're hoping to collate the most voted for games to consider ports. You know what to do, hit the little thumbs up reaction on this post (Do NOT hit the TV reaction): https://discord.com/channels/370196367647309825/795749182841028618/798633032545337405

If you haven't joined already, go to this server: https://discord.gg/9HFTrzJS9V Everyone please do go and vote, this is an official Sega channel and they're formalising 'votes' for games we want ported.
    Make sure you READ THE RULES on the channel :)

You can add your own requests for games once every 6 hours, so feel free to also request other VF titles/games. Please SEARCH FIRST to see if the game is already requested, then you can just vote for that one. Duplicates will be deleted, and you will get locked! Just hit the little thumbs up for games you want to 'vote' for.

EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT CLICK THE TV MONITOR EMOJI. READ THE RULES IN THE CHANNEL, THIS IS TO REPORT AT MISTAKE ONLY :)

ALSO PLEASE SEARCH FOR A GAME BEFORE REQUESTING, IF IT EXISTS, HIT THE THUMBS UP.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    beanboy, Mister and JED-VF3 like this.
  17. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Be sure to follow the rules or you will be flagged with a role that prevents you to vote until they fix your mistake.

beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.