1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun Di strategy

Discussion in 'Pai' started by NightAntilli, Aug 30, 2012.

1. NightAntilli

NightAntilli Well-Known Member

For some reason, I have huge trouble against good Shun Di players. I don't know what it is exactly, but I get the sense that I can't get inside his defense and evasion. If I'm playing close, he can easily evade my attacks and beat me out, and if I'm far, it seems that he has more effective ranged attacks than mine and ends up beating me out too. His lows seem a lot more effective than Pai's as well, so I feel outclassed. It's not that he's impossible, but, I often get the short end of the stick in the fight.

Is there any particular strategy specifically for him? Also, what kind of weight is he? I get the feeling during the fights that he's heavier than Jean and other similar weight fighters or something, causing some weird gravity stuff that don't connect on him. Might just be my delusion though lol.

2. Konradinho

Konradinho Well-Known Member

PSN:
    konradinho2
    He is a mid weight character, probably.

Shun is strongest at long - mid distance. Try to beat him at a close distance, keep poke'ing. Remember to punish his [1][P][K] with a low throw, best option is [3][3][P][+][G] and combo.

Also it's good to know that his Choukarou [K] gives him advantage even on guard and can be followed up with another [K] that crumples (?). Very annoying is also his simple [P][P][P][K], which can be cancelled to Choukarou and followed up with [K] -> crumple -> we're fukkd up.
    Remember that this string is linear and last kick can be evaded -> punished.

When he is in a stance that he is standing on his hands, his [K] attack has an enormous priority and can stop attacks that you've never doubt it can. I try to get to him at mid range, not so close cause [K] will hit me , and sweep him.

Go to practice and see, which of Shun's moves can be punished with [3][K][+][G]. This is the key, show him that he also has some lacks and isn't unpunished. "Punishing the cast" video can help.

That's not all my observations but all I remember right now :) Cheers

3. bingalaszatanu

bingalaszatanu Active Member

Shun Di must drink a lot of wine and have red nose and face! We must drink a lot of vodka and beer in real life!

beanboy likes this.
  4. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Actually, you should have named the thread "strategy against Shun" or smthing. ;)

I am a long-break semi-noob veteran VFer but I try to help. What character(s) you play as? Check out the "Punishing" video series for guaranteed punishment after blocking certain moves. Those situations should be bread and butter for any versus-threads.

I guess Shun's one main weakness is the lack of 14f mid, so after opp blocks Shuns 5P he cannot cream opps 5P or 2P with a mid (elbow usually). Obviously every serious Shun knows this and have developed tons of ways to compensate. Many Shuns also keep mid/longer distance to cloak this (not a bad idea at all).

Shun also has no good full circular until at 10dp (214+P) so evading is a option if player likes big frame moves. My tactic for evaders usually consists of elevated throw game, 1KK, 4p, 46P~ string abuse and K+G, stance work too. No easy way to those, just need to watch Shun's habits and adapt.

I believe there is a sobering thread somewhere too, worth checking out.

Against good Shuns there is no jail free card, the drunken mofo will eventually prevail! (after 35 dps at least)

Lastly, if u live in euro area and have psn, add me. We can have some player matches -> virtual dojoing. I'm happy to help.

5. NightAntilli

NightAntilli Well-Known Member

Well since this is in the Pai section, I obviously play Pai lol xD Yeah I should've named the thread better.. Like, Strategy against Shun Di with Pai or something. Oh well.. Can't change it now sadly. I don't have PSN sadly. I only have XBL. It really sounds as if PSN has more players..

In any case, thanks all of you for your input. If you have more, feel free to add xD

6. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    After 1P blocked Shun is -10 (throw) and K ender -21. :D

Other lows are low kick K, which actually can duck under tons of mids, usually in open stance. It's -15 though.

Chou K gives +6 on block only after 1st hit, then it's 0, so anything faster than 17f hits Shun if he does another K. His P is high but full circ and 15f, P+K is 15f mid, those are much better. Kick spamming in chou is for fishing for ch and throw attempt, on normal hit first is +9 and subsequent +8. Low kick is -18, look out for that and of course the Chou throw. That P ender after 2nd kick is -9, barely safe and linear - great opportunity to evade.

Also, is Shun goes to Chou from 46P+K, he also gets +6. Same from his K from hands up- stance. The rest of the kicks are always 17f and 0 on block.

Yea K from handstand has nice hitbox or smth but -18 on block. Only thing that keeps peeps sweeping Shun is the range really, throw can be ducked. Nothing worth sweating really, unless Shun cancels into lying down stance :eek:.

beanboy likes this.
  7. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Lol!:ROTFL: