1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun:how much should i drink

Discussion in 'Shun' started by HwoarangExpert, May 19, 2004.

1. should i drink as much as i can early in the match
    or
    learn the exact number of drink for the moves

2. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Drink as much as you can, if you wanna do his drink moves. Chances are good if you only do as much as necessary, your opponent is going to use an attack that sobers you and you'll be in trouble. It's best to have a few extra drinks in you so that when they DO hit you with a sobering attack, you can just keep on going with your plans.

3. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

You want to drink as much as possible regardless of time. If you can, you can win with Shun.

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Drink every chance you get.

As soon as you win a round, don't waste time. Just immediately hit [P]+[K]+[G], then [2][P]+[K] [P]+[K]+[G] for a quick 4 drinks.

5. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

drink as much as possible, but its not always good to sacrifice damage for drinks. Some people are extreme enough to sacrifice the first round(s) to get as many drinks as possible.

You should definetly know what drinks 'unlock' certain moves, along with properties of moves ([P][P][2][K][K] guranteed on hit, block, [3][P] float, combos that require X drinks, etc)

your opponent's style along with your own really decides how many drinks you will get - often times I will be in a match where i never reach 8 dp, or sometimes i will pass 16 in the first round. Of course, more is always better.

check out the drunk shun guide for help on drinking

6. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

There's a great write-up about Shun's drink properties on this site. Just click on his name at the home page, it'll be there at the bottom of his profile.
    My personal advice: Learn the moves that give you drinks ( i.e. [6] [P]+[K] , [P]+[G] , [8] [9] [6] [3] [2] [1] [4] [P]+[G] ) and how best to drink at the end of a round, which depends on your stance (or lack thereof, in which case perform a quick Oushin -- [4] [1] [2] [3] [6] [P]+[K]+[G] -- followed by [P]+[K]+[G] as many times as you can. When I time that right, I can get six drinks before the replay starts. (Super tip from watching the DVD replays. /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )) Also, whenever your opponent is really far away, or turtling right next to you, just take a swig and do an evade attack if they react. Don't overdo it, just learn when it's practical to drink. Let me tell you, it helps. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Well, there's my ten cents' worth. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Chuck

7. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Oh, and a nasty trick . . . /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    If you manage to get 40 drinks (I've only done it a few times -- Iron Fight was great for it!) Do the following:
    [4] [K]+[G] (hold [K]+[G]), then when your opponent comes at you with an attack, do [6]+[P]+[K]+[G] --> [P], [K] [K] [2]+[P] [K] for something like 107 damage, plus down attack if they don't recover, or follow-ups if they do.
    Use this only in extreme cases. Overuse will make it too easy to predict.

-Chuck
    /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif (I HEART SHUN!)

8. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

its [4][1][2][3][6][P][K] for the laying down stance - the shun guide has a list of moves that leave time for this.

And that combo will only work in closed stance, 16dp is also enough for it if you neglect the P, which if i remember right, is actually more damage.

Just nitpicking /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Sorry for the technical mistake ([P]+[K], not [P]+[K]+[G] -- what was I thinking?)
    But the combo works in any stance if you hit with the [6]+[P]+[K]+[G] , [P] . That'll float, leaving your opponent open. That's why it's a nasty trick. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And you do need 16 DP. That was implied when I said you should do the move when you have 40 DP. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, and you omit the [K] under 16 DP, not the [P]. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Chuck

10. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

As stated, you should drink as much as possible, but you should get used to NOT using his 8DP and 6DP moves. Any good player will capitazlize on sobering you up, and then your screwed if you can't use him efficiently at 0DP.

After the round is a definite, and only when you're playing some boring as tits guy that likes to keep his distance. Don't drink every time your opponent goes down.

In fact, I'd recommend practicing with matches where you don't drink at all.

11. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

I drink as much as possible, but after 6+ drinks I don't resommend playing Akira. And after 12 I have a hard time finding my way home, but I'm usually as happy as a clamp. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HungOver likes this.
  12. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

sigh, just heed to the wisdom of Sega America, and only *pretend* to drink.

/versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. Wonderful

Wonderful Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Cuz said:

I drink as much as possible, but after 6+ drinks I don't resommend playing Akira. And after 12 I have a hard time finding my way home, but I'm usually as happy as a clamp. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL !!! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif that´s hillarious !

I´m still very much a newb, but I´ve just got a crush on the old drunkard. I agree that you have to be able to use him effectively without drinking (I´ll have to work a bit on that, but it´s a hard habit to kick /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), but I drink every chance I get, I´m often at 20+ DP at the end of fights. And that´s even if the enemy is trying to sober me up /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

When I started with Shun however I made a mistake of prioritizing drinking in a fight, and tried to knock my enemy down every chance I got to get a drink in, this is not a good tactic except to use in between because your opponent will catch on and punish you for being too defensive. I´m now getting to the point where I can drink and fight smoothly, that is if I´m on top of the fight, if I´m not... well we all have those days. I´m still getting used to the different attacks/properties with different DP I´m sure it will take time, fine as long as I´m having fun.

I´m quite sure that this "Old geezer" (that´s my ring name btw) has a lot of untapped potential, I just love his flowchart, and sometimes taunting stances.

So, from my limited experience: get shitfaced !! But do it with style, it sucks getting your ass kicked because your drinking. When fighting a human opponent it can be hillarious to just stand away from him drinking and wait for them to come in, and then explode into a flurry of Shuns fast punches/kicks (not at all reliable, or safe, but extremely funny) when they least expect it.

Could anyone recommend a site where I can find some vids of good Shun players ? All links I´ve found on this site to movies are dead....

14. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Have you seen the vids on the DVD? They're the best I've seen. ( /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Which isn't really saying much . . . )
    If those don't give you enough tips on ways to get better . . . I don't know, try google. It's pretty good about finding stuff.

-Chuck

15. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

i don't play Shun, but my brother does and so does LiMeng who lives in Scotland. They both have different tactics that work quite well.
    My brother (Elite) fights to win the first round, but if he is losing, (if there is a 75 health difference between us) then he goes on an all out drink fest. he uses beatdowns and neutral throw. he also uses that lie down and drink/attack to great effect, coz if i come in for an attack he gets me with his, and if i wait he gets a few drinks. (plus, Shun doesn't take much damage when he gets hit from the lying down pose, as there are not that many powerful moves that go low enough to hit.). if he loses the first round then he dedicates the second round totally on getting drinks, and by the end of this round he has aroung 25-30 drinks. then he can go on the all out attack and win three rounds straight! this is risky though because he cannot lose one round after that as he will lose the whole match, it is a big risk.

LiMeng (very good with Shun) prefers to go for the win straight away. he seems to accumulate around six drinks in the first round, and then he is satisfied and goes for the win. he plays a very safe game and uses all of Shun's poke moves (such as that annoying low kick).
    i think you should choose a strategy that suits your play, if you prefer to use pokes then try LiMeng's strat, but if you like to use high risk/high damage attacks, then maybe you should try the first one. alternatively you could try and blend the styles and go for around 10-15 drinks, whilst gaining the first or second round.

btw, does anyone know what Jacky and Jeffry's sobering moves are?

16. Wonderful

Wonderful Active Member

Yeah, I´ve watched the clips on the DVD-rom a couple of times, and yes, they have helped me improve. The problem is that the guy "Sorry Shun" doesn´t seen to have that great a repertoire of moves, he seems to use mostly Shuns fast poke attacks and the dodge attacks ([1]/[7] [G]+[P]+[K] [P]) but sure, it works, and he´s very good the way he plays, but I´m sure Shun can be a lot more unpredictable, taunting and well... wacky ! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif That´s why I want to see other playing styles.

17. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Yeah, SorryShun is a little boring. But he wins alot. /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I guess that's his trade-off: simplicity for win ratio.
    I prefer a more diverse style when I play Shun. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And that was a good point about the "lost match." If I find myself in a round where I'm looking at almost certain defeat, I drink as much as I can. I do it for two reasons:
    1. It will help in the next round (more drinks = more moves and more power.)
    2. Drink moves, like the ones I mentioned earlier, are really very good attacks. The [6] + [P]+[K] is great for getting counter hits; the [8][9][6][3][2][1][4] [P]+[G] and [P]+[G] are good to throw in after your opponent does a guaranteed throw move; and moves from his stances are great for dodging and confusing, plus you get chances to take a quick swig. If I change my style with the objective of drinking, sometimes it'll catch my opponent off guard, and I can not only get away with it, but win the match. That only happens about one in ten times though. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Just a little more advice from an old Shun fan.

-Chuck

18. Wonderful

Wonderful Active Member

Hehe, my favourite stance switch to mess with an opponents head is [2][P]+[K] to sit down [4] go into handstand then [P]+[K][G] roll into lying down position (while most of the time I execute the attack instead so they usually don´t see it coming). From this little funky dance there are so many potential attacks/swigs from the bottle as well, and the opponent is going wtf ? as long as you don´t do these useless silly moves too much Shun can be very unpredictable /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding Sorry-Shun, I´ve learned a lot from watching him, like the way he uses [1]/[7][G]+[P]+[K] into [2][3][6][P] and how he can completely overwhelm his opponent at times with series of quick poke attacks in random patterns, very effective. That´s what I love about Shun, he has a lot of slow AND fast attacks, and some slow... seemingly predictable patterns that can be varied into a flurry of pokes.

Against an opponent that doesn´t know what he´s doing he really looks like he´s just an Old geezer on a bender that just "accidentally" kicks the guys ass, heck I´ve even managed to freak the AI out at times hehehe.

PS. who makes the movelists on the site ? there is an error in Shuns movelist for evo ver.B (correct me if I´m wrong this IS the ps2 movelist right ?) the movelist says that you can press [4] from lying down stance to enter handstand stance, this is (on my version AT least impossible)