1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Side Turned Slipping Unblockable?

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Myke, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    So the other night during a player match with @Jihoon, my Brad happened upon a sequence that appeared unblockable. Here's the clip:

As seen, I was at Vanessa's side after a successful evade and hit with [2][P] then immediately followed with [6][K][P] (slipping) [K] which hits Vanessa in the back. I've tried to replicate this in training mode but with no success:
    1. Start in open stance
    2. Evade the first hit of Vanessa's [P][+][K][P] then crouch under the second hit
    3. Whiff punish with [2][P] then immediately enter [6][K][P]
    4. While Vanessa's side guarding [6][K][P], slip in the direction of Vanessa's back and perform (slipping) [K]
    I've pretty much recreated from the clip in training mode except Vanessa always guards the (slipping) [K]. The only unknown is that I can't exactly tell what Jihoon may (or may not) have been doing while he was side guarding the [6][K][P]. Or, this may have just been a random planetary alignment thing.

If anyone can shed some light or knows how to reproduce this consistently, let us know!

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Hey Myke,

In that video clip, my guess is that Jihoon pressed down briefly to anticipate ducking under high cross attack after Slipping animation (Slipping [P][+][K]). However, the Slipping knee attack came out instead.

Kruza

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The lack of any coloured flash (yellow for CH for e.g.) leads me to believe that he did not attempt any attack. It's a plain white flash indicating a normal hit.

Interesting! I might try to see what happens if one attempts to duck at the last second.

One new thing I noticed only after saving and watching the video frame-by-frame is that it appears that Vanessa's arms begin to drop just before the hit, indicating that the G button may have been released? It's really hard to tell, but this is another thing I'll test in addition to crouching before the impact.

5. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I know its off topic but sometimes i see a orange-looking flash. What does that mean? I know a blue flash is side CH but what does Orange mean?

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    So, was it a true unblockable? Let's find out! :D

Jason Elbow, VFnumbers and Kruza like this.
  7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The orange flash indicates a stagger or stumble. See the images in the Stagger or Stumble sections of the wiki for reference.

8. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Thanks.

9. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Keep your hands up Jhoon!

SHOTS FIRED BY MYKE. "Swear he held guard" I blame the lag.

Myke likes this.
  10. Tricky

I think we should make it a Meme whenever someone gets hit like this to scream "Jahooooooon keep your hands up!!!!"

MadeManG74 likes this.
  11. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I tested all options in both stances in the video. Or did I miss something? o_O

12. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    My bad myke i saw it :)

Myke likes this.
  13. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Oops, you're right, you'd get a blue flash if Vanessa were attacking. Oh well, at least I was correct that occasionally intruder hook can count as sidehit :) (as seen @2:13 when you get a backcrumple) Lol @ magically evading & getting a counterhit as well :ROTFL: (as seen @4:46).

In defense of Jihoon, letting go of guard is legit with DS vanessa if you expect a High Punch due to her [5] inashi.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Tricky and Myke like this.
  14. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ooh, that's a good point!

15. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    But what did he hope to accomplish by not blocking in that situation? Was he trying to make a read?

16. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I don't think it was intentional. Judging by his surprise, I think it was accidental.

17. Tricky

Does it work from BT though?

18. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Pretty sure it should not work from BT, but when Jihoon first blocked Vanessa was only side-turned so it should have worked.

Probably.

I am embarrassed to admit I am not confident in my answer :cautious: Given how DS [5] was nerfed in VF5FS to only parry HP, it has not received much attention or playtesting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  19. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    @Myke u tried to evade on van backside?

20. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm fairly certain her DS neutral inashi works from Side Turned as well.

I'm not sure what you mean? I tried evading in both directions as Vanessa, and both directions were successful as expected. If you're referring to Brad's initial evade, then yes, both stances (closed and open) were tested. At 4:13 I change to open stance which makes Brad's evade to Vanessa's back.