1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Something To Know When Playing Against Shun!

Discussion in 'Shun' started by JHow77, Jul 30, 2010.

1. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    While playing Denkai's Lion the other day he reminded me of something that I never see anyone do when playing against Shun. This can be key and sometimes a match determining factor. This has also been around since VF3 and surprises me that no one knows about it.

Here it is (why do I keep giving secrets away?):

After Shun's 43P+G or 3P+G it's inevitable that you will get hit, and mostly with Chowan (hook punch). Because of this there is only one thing you should ever do (unless you're Aoi) and that is hold down. By holding down you will be hit from a crouching state thereby lessening certain follow up attack options because you won't be lifted as high. You actually don't see your character crouch but nonetheless it's as if you were.

It makes me wonder if many people struggle after the throw or try to attack. The fact is, you can't, so you should just hold down.

There goes my new combo now... it won't work if people crouch. Lately I have been having fun after the 43P+G throw doing Chowan followed by 44K and then BT K+G or BT P options. Unfortunately 44K won't connect if the opponent is crouching.

2. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Makes for more exciting matches? a crouching opponent makes for different mind games?

3. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I do this. Learned if from Ladon. I thought everybody knew already.
    I know you won't be able to do the combo you mentioned but I also know this sets up a backturned opponent to even more shenanigans that can end up costing him even more than if he just stayed standing. Unless the opponent is good at stagger recovery [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing your secrets JHow, I will be using a lot of the things I've learned from you once I come back to Shun, my secondary character in VF2 [​IMG]

4. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77

Heh, yah I'm all about more exciting matches! I don't mind giving away anything. The more people give me grief the better I'll become.

5. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

This whole thread is a setup. This is part of JHow's mind-games. [​IMG]

I'll try the crouching thing next time, but you'll probably just 3K for a back stagger, into a back crumple, into some insane 150pt juggle.

I'm on to you [​IMG]

6. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    LOL! Damn, you got me! =D