1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony exclusivity is ridiculous

Discussion in 'General' started by Ali, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

This is a ranting thread.

I find the fact that this hasn't been even hinted to be coming to other platform is beyond SEGA's usual stupidity. I have a full functional PS4 Pro, but I have friends on PC and Xbox who were/are still willing to play the game and get exposure to the series. What have we gained from making this PS exclusive so far ? A trailer posted by Sony for the PS+ month ?

I find it a bit strange that SEGA did this when they went full support for xbox and PC with the Yakuza series and Judgement (well no PC for political reason) and it's sorta sad to only have Ps4/5 as the option to buy it.

2. Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu Active Member

No it is not. VF5US is basically only for Japan, they didn't expect anything from the western market. So choosing SONY as a partner to release this rushed down version of VF5 is understandable. Maybe in the next months they might consider xbox / PC, but honestly I'm not holding my breath for that.

Dennis0201 likes this.
  3. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

This is fine for what VF5US is. Think of it like an arcade version of VF that was never meant to come to consoles. VF5R and VF4FT never came to consoles. Odds are that this version of VF could easily have been Japanese arcade exclusive and never come to any console at all which was the usual pattern. This version was a simultaneous console and arcade release, an extreme rarity for fighting games. This is not a typical release at all for VF.

All VF5US is, is a watered down featureless port of VF5FS. With even less costumes. No Quest, no rollback, no tutorials, and so on. This is basically like a test of the VF system in a new game engine that was given a small public release. Not really meant to be new major revision nor a new game. They also wanted to see what the numbers would be for free downloads as well.

4. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Did you really expect anything different from sega of Japan? Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t North America one of the top downloaded numbers out of the world? If so, what does that really mean to us? The facts are no roadmap, no item dlc, and tons of glitches to still be addressed. Their focus currently is only on Japan esports seasons. This doesn’t surprise me, because it’s always the same. Fail..

5. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

If you typed this prior to the mess they did with this game, I'd have started defending them, but now I truly see why people seem to constantly remind themselves how idiotic Sega is.

The worst part is them admitting that they didn't expect the US downloads to be the bigger portion.... really ? It's 2021 and you still thought you are dealing with the 2000s market ? Haven't they learned a lesson or two with the Yakuza series ?

Now a good few months since release and not even one clue that this will land to other consoles. I am a bit mad because peeps on this site kept a scene living and they did it as much on the Xbox frontline as they did with the much limited accessibility of PS3.

Yes we own sega nothing, yes they don't have to even listen to any of our demands, but if they ever call this game unsuccessful, I'd rather see it fall when it was given all need support for success and I really want to have fun with my guys on Xbox and PC.

6. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

If they think it did well on Sony platform… imagine what numbers Xbox GAMEPASS and PC will do. Sega is ran by a bunch of Ass-Pirates

7. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

It's possible, that the reason they are so focused on the homeland Japan, is that they are trying to slowly get back the large fanbase, and momentum they had back in the 90's in Japan. And of course they could have done better in achieving that. But I give them points for trying after for so long.

I mean Japan was always known as VF home central, and Virtua Fighter in Japan, is still the hallmark and standard, for competitive 3d fighting games. And for anyone who has played VF, it is obvious why VF is always categorised, as the pinnacle of fighting games, especially in Japan, and held to such high standards even to this day. Not even Tekken, DOA, or unfortunately, what is even left of the great Soul Calibur, has reached that level yet. Even the smash bros. director called Sakurai, brought that up, (what I highlighted in black), a few times in interviews.

As for why it is still exclusive on PS4, it is probably due to that exclusive agreement, with their rival Sony. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony, to help push playstation sales, deliberately lengthens the time on the exclusivity, to help it sell more PS consoles and get the hardcore VF gaming population, and gamers who hate Sony but like VF, to buy a PS4 and increase playstation sales. I mean if you take a look at the PS5 situation and sales, it makes sense for Sony businesswise. Unfortunately, as the older gamers would say, this whole thing is a well timed business proposition for Sony. And it seems to be working in Sony's favour.

Hopefully, it ends up on Xbox, PC, Mac and switch soon. Because releasing the game on those platforms, would give them alot of momentum and a larger playerbase, because realistically speaking, not everyone likes sony or will buy a playstation, and there are alot of gamers out there, who despise both.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  8. Jotamide

Jotamide Well-Known Member

9. beanboy

Thanks for the link.
    So they were planning a PC steam version. Wow! Despite the setbacks, due to cross platform cross play, I'm glad we got some sort of an answer on this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  10. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is more to due with Sony and SEGA's relationship with the Yakuza series? Yakuza 5 wasn't going to be released here and Yakuza 6 was in question at the time. Sony did the translation and localizations for it. MS paid truckloads for Yakuza support,among other Japanese companies post 201. I really wouldn't call that support as much as a "make it worth my while" type of agreement. The only reason Sega had solid support for MS systems initially was because of Peter Moore, but when he left MS for EA, that was pretty much it for MS consoles getting exclusive SEGA content.

11. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I'd laugh at the stupidity of sega if this lands on PC but not Xbox... tho that will be half the redemption they need.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  12. nou

nou Well-Known Member

A lot of fighters and games in general, skipped Xbone last generation. Sony nabbing SFV as a console exclusive was already writing on the wall back in 2016, and the list of games grew from there.

13. beanboy

This might sound silly, but maybe Sony is holding on to the exclusivity, to buy time until Tekken 8 gets revealed and comes out. I have a suspicion Tekken 8 is going to be a PS5 exclusive. x_X

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022