1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Stagger combos - Do VFDC players consider them cheap?

Discussion in 'General' started by Junsuina Chikara, May 14, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. I was curious to know what are your opinions on stagger combos. I've met a number of players online who tell me "stagger bullshit" or whatever. Since then, I've stopped doing stagger combos because I don't want to seem cheap. Instead, I give 2 options to my opponent by doing a standing P and either a. GBoD or b. (if they're crouched) SPoD. That way, I gave my opponent a choice to either defend high or low, rather than getting a stagger combo that's nearly impossible to avoid. However, with stagger combos, I can get +20 more damage than a GBoD and more again against SPoD so sometimes, when I'm desperate, I go for a stagger combo but otherwise, like I mentioned before, I give my opponents a choice. Staggers can be escaped ofcourse but is it really considered cheap to use them? Or did I just come across salty players? Thanks.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Claiming something is cheap because I do not know how to deal with is stupid, but somehow nothing unusual for many players (no matter game / gender they are playing).

Stagger combos are just like any other juggle in the game, but breakable. It is not YOUR fault your opponents do not know how to unstagger or do not bother to learn how to unstagger properly. It is like when people who are just mashing buttons claims that juggles are cheap - because they do not know how to avoid them and with their way of playing, G=>jgl starter guarantees MC every single time. The stagger issue is the same, only more "sophisticated" (in terms of what kind of game mechanics are involved).

And one last thing... Abusing someones weakness is annoyng and depressing for that person (and you should be aware about this)), but it is also chance for him to get better. But it is up to him to decide if he will take responsibility for his faults or if he will blame someone else (you, the ame, whatever) for his fails.

BlueLink and erdraug like this.
  3. Junsuina Chikara

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    MC? What does MC stand for?

That's exactly the point for me. Staggers can be escaped. Escaping staggers is actually easy (Roll the joystick and hold G, that's it...). I've played against players who use staggers as part of combos so I thought "Well, if you're going to do it, I'll do them too". Although I know it seems harsh, I'd rather my opponent learnt how to escape a stagger rather than me holding back and not using them. Like any other situation, if they recover and I go for standing palm and they guard it, then I change my play style (e.g.: throw instead of standing palm).

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Major counter, which is explained in the wiki I believe. In short, it means yellow flash, when the attack interrupts the opponents attack. You get more damage and more advantage on hits that hit as MC instead of recovery counter.

As for the topic, stagger combos are generally an online thing mainly..

5. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

Stagger is a bit of a lag tactic, but not really. Even if someone breaks the stagger, they're not doing anything else so you get loads to advantage. It's kinda a nitaku between stagger break/not break.

6. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    witout stagger combos i ll be lost... For sure online it s harder to unstagger but not impossible, so ppls who says that it s cheap, it s just coz they don t unstagger. It s like me, i hate guard breaks coz my char doesn t have this (unfortunately) but i can t blame a akira using that on me... My mistake if i don t crouch...

7. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Complaining about getting floated from a stagger is a bit like complaining about getting thrown. Or getting sweeped. Or just complaining about losing.

Who's problem is that exactly? The players who is landing his hits and winning or the players who is getting hit and losing.

(Answer: don't downplay or tone down your game because of idiots.)

nou and EvenPit like this.
  8. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Hmmm, after seeing your other thread about Lei's doku low kick online i'm wondering who's really finding stagger combos cheap here :)

Anyway....

No.

There can be a little more to it than that :p

9. Junsuina Chikara

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM

I don't think they're cheap, I just wanted to know how to escape a stagger properly so that I can avoid it. Whenever it happens, I accept it and just take some damage, I'm not salty about it ;).

10. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    My complaint about my own character's stagger combos is that they are not guaranteed; my complaint about every other character's stagger combos is that they are not just yielding positive frames instead of a stagger ;)

Joking aside, IMHO it's worth spending half a day to train some decent ones - if i accidentally stagger my opponent and then fail to capitalize on it, then i always feel i am missing out.

11. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Stagger Combos cheap? Can't be serious....

12. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Why would anyone care about staggers!?

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    People love to buy cheap stuff, so thats why!

Sozos likes this.
  14. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Yeah..Then again.... Staggers are cheap compared to Guard Breaks.

15. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Yeah, just don't get hit by it....

BlueLink and Mister like this.
  16. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    Staggers are w/e. They just add more depth to the gameplay imo. Because the more depth VF has the better.

17. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    If it's in the game, it's on on the table.

nou likes this.