1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting out with Pai - best moves

Discussion in 'Pai' started by GodEater, Jun 12, 2012.

1. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

First pass of what I consider to be Pai's "hero" moves. I created a new thread because I think the relevant data should be in the first post, not 7 or so replies down.

There are a lot of moves worth considering, despite having a lot of things taken away she has some fantastic tools at her disposal and I may come back to this list and think, "why didn't I mention this" but everything is an evolution. I think, at her core, these moves represent her strengths very well. everything else complements these once you've got her basics down.

I welcome feedback on this from veteran Pai players.

ESSENTIAL MOVES
    [P] – 11 frame execution
    Give +2 on guard. Standing Punch is your best move to open up her other attacks an options, potentially getting a neutral or counter hit.

[6][P] – 14 frame execution.
    Mid level chop. -5 on block, +3 NH, +7 CH. Keep people honest with pokes and chips.

[9][+][K] – 14 frame execution
    Swallow kick. -5 on block, +1 NH, +6 CH. One of your best mid options. Safe on block and allows for lots of mind games on NH and CH.

[​IMG][3]+[P][+][K] – 16 frame execution
    Mid level launcher. Only floats on CH. -8 on Block, +4 on NH, KD on CH.
    Great combo potential despite relying on CH situations. You’ll need to fuzzy or guess if blocked. On NH you can fuzzy or choose to abare with launcher if the opponent is doing unsafe things to retaliate (say throw).

[3][P] – 21 frame execution
    Low blue fist – sets up Bokutai traps. -9 BL, -8NH, +3CH
    Bokutai is a potentially devastating mixup but it relies on NOT always going into stance. Alternating between [3][P] then fuzzy, [3][P][P] (mixup from there) or [3][P] bokutai for best strength.

[3][P][+][K] 12 frame execution
    Mid level fast move. -6 BL, +2 NH, KD CH.
    Great for interrupting strings, or pressure on guard. You can WS[K] if they don’t tech on KD

[6][P][+][K] - 15 frame execution
    Mid level attack that has a mid level follow up. - -6BL, +2NH, +7CH
    The second [P] is delayable, can create some good pauses in your opponent’s offense while keeping the -6 on guard safe as they look for the rest of the combo. +2 on NH allows for you to switch tactics and not always do the followup.

[6][P][+][K],[P] - 22 frame execution
    Second mid level hit in the string - -9BL, -1NH, +5CH
    Your block stats are the reason to consider not doing this follow up. But with delays and healthy mixups this can become a safe pressure tactic.

[K][+][G] - 21 frame execution
    Special high full circular attack. -5BL, +6 NH, +9CH, +7 (catching [2]:p)
    Can’t be evaded, eats low punches, sets up some nice mind games and side turned situations on counter.

NICE TO HAVE

[3][K][+][G] - 17 frame execution
    Mid level launcher. -15 BL, KD on NH and CH
    Great launch tool that doesn’t require CH to create excellent combo damage. Choosing this as your abare tool will give the opponent some pause but will get you killed if you rely on it too much.

[2][P][+][K] – 15 frame execution
    Mid level bokutai set up - -6BL, +4NH, +8 Ch
    Fast executing mid with Bokutai traps, full circular and BT traps on continuation, and a final attack that hits mid. Use when your opponent is guessing your lowblue fist and you want to keep bokutai or BT traps alive.

The second hit ([K]) is full circular but high. you can delay it if your opponent is wise to the stats.

WS [P][+][K] - 18 frame execution
    Mid level attack that has a mid follow up or the option to be back turned. - -6 BL, +4 NH, +5 CH
    If the first hit hits the second chains and knocks down.
    WS [P][+]:K[P] - 21 frame execution
    Mid level follow up. -15 on guard, KD on CH and NH.
    Try not to finish this move unless in a combo or because the first one hit.

2. KillaKen

KillaKen Well-Known Member

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7
    I'd like to add...

WS [K]

[7][K]

[1][K]

[3][P],[K]

I tend to use these a lot when fending off overly aggressive opponents.

3. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    [3][P]+[K] is 12 frames, not 14. That move is just incredible in my opinion, but its biggest drawback is the lack of range.

I would also like to add [6][6][P]+[K] and [4][6][K]+[G]. The former can be canceled for mind games and crumples on counter hits, not to mention how useful it is at range or even point blank. The latter gives +2 advantage on block and you can combo with [9][K][K] on hit. Will also slam when used during combos.

4. GodEater

yeah, changed it. I thought I proofed this well enough before posting but that's the second frame mistake.

it is an incredible move. I'm fine with the range. 12 frame with +2 on neutral hit and safe on block? I think it is right that she can only use it up close and not just spam it from distance.

one thing to keep in mind with this list is that everyone can add what they want! I wanted to ensure her fast executing, mostly safe (or unsafe but with reward, say, launcher) moves were represented. I think that if you're looking to create a pressure game and you're missing some of these moves you should probably revisit them. with all of the tools FS gives you to learn a character I'm still surprised at all the [P][P][P] delay SWEEP Pai's I see out there.

That said, I could keep adding awesome moves all day but what I really wanted was a small, manageable list that newcomers could look at and practice with. The world just keeps expanding from there.

had I more time I'd have updated my own thread before now (instead of just making corrections) but it is hard to find time most days.

Thanks for the feedback guys, Pai doesn't get a lot of love on the forums and I know I can't drive all the content alone simply because I'm not the best player out there and don't have the time I wish I had so I appreciate the comments and additions.

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I have been busy trying to get other stuff done, but having people post, discuss, and share information (and not be afraid or bothered by criticisms) is the best for everyone! Thanks everyone for posting! Hopefully we all can improve our Pai's together

[K] - Koushutai
    Positives: 14 frame launcher. -9 on guard, so nothing is guaranteed (except for Wolf's 9 frame throw?) when opponent blocks it. Great for punishing opponent after guarding a move that leaves him/her standing and at -14 frames or higher (most normal hit mid combo launchers fall into this category). At least 50 points of damage guaranteed. Because of speed and deceptive reach, it's not a bad move to use in unknown frame situations (both players not in any recovery/stun animation).
    Negative: Because it it a high attack, not the best option to use to pressure opponent during two-choice (nitaku) situations.

6. KillaKen

KillaKen Well-Known Member

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7
    Anybody using Pai's new stance? ([3] or [9][P]+[K]+[G])

After doing [P] out of this I've noticed many players immediately attempt a strike after blocking it, which sets them up for a counter hit. If they're crouching then this knocks them down, but there aren't too many combo options from this set up.

The grab out of this stance throws off people too, because it leaves them standing out of it.

7. GodEater

yeah, I've been playing with the new stance a lot. It's great for people that want to punish bokutai setups or [P][P][P]: into X because it can catch their interrupt.

on stance [P] Guard they get pushed back and you are +2. people who like to attack right away will get interrupted easily. your standing [P] will net you +8 in this situation (assuming a [P] retaliation).

on stance [P] hit (NH or CH):
    [P], [9][K][K] for 51 points. everyone.

[P], [P][+][K], [9][K][K] 63 point. light weight only
    [P], [P][+][K], WS [P][+][K][P] 66 points. Aoi and Eileen only.

stance in [K]
    NH +7. +10 NH side
    CH KD
    WS [P][+][K][P] 66 points. everyone
    [6][K][+][G], [9][K][K] 75 points. everyone.
    [6][K][+][G], [P], [9][K][K] 79 points. everyone except taka

I have (mostly) stopped doing throw for now because I get interrupted myself at this point in time. Throw nets you +9. mindgames galore.

8. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I don't use enough of Pai's new stance personally when I should I used it some yesterday when I sparred with a good Shun player and the mixups that came from it are nasty. I will have to play around with it more in the dojo. The more I use pai now the better she looks each time. That is why I love being a Pai player