1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonps, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    Hope it's ok to post here:

2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was really happy to see, that classic game return.
    Pray that it'll be fantastic.:)

3. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    NO yuzo. NO BUY

Stl_Tim likes this.
  4. beanboy

Now we need sequels, to Final Fight and Double Dragon.:)

5. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Isn't he involved? I thought he was, considering he also is doing the menu music for the Mega Drive Mini.

SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
  6. beanboy

They showed Adams trailer the other day. I have to agree with someone, who commented on youtube. He looks like Bullet Proof, from the COP's cartoon.:p

MadeManG74 likes this.
  7. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

I think that will be a day one for me.

8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I want skate to be in it. I'm hoping we can get the trio family in the game

Sonic The Fighters and beanboy like this.
  9. beanboy

Skate reminds me of Picky from Fighting Vipers. Heck, he kinda reminds me of Charlie, from Fighting Vipers as well.

10. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    As it's out, thread name changed to Streets of Rage 4. Thought we could discuss here.

How do people feel about this? I was initially very disappointed, but i have to say the game has grown on me. Now i'm just a bit disappointed. I think it's a good game but kinda spoiled by little things that make it feel a bit un-tuned and it makes me wonder what the devs were thinking.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the movement speed in the game and that there is not run for most characters. The devs went for a SOR2 style but to me the balance between player speed and enemy speed feels all wrong. It also feels unresponsive at times because the recovery frames of moves you do lock you in for a bit too long and you can't cancel out of them into other moves. This coupled with the aggressive enemy AI will lead to the player getting hit when they feel they shouldn't.

Another weird design choice imo is that loads of enemies have been given hyper armor on moves. It makes the game seem unresponsive when enemies decide to power through whatever you're doing to hit you. Fighting some foes can become a bit of a boring waiting game as you wait for them to become vulnerable, land a few hits and rinse and repeat.

Last big issue with the game is that the hitboxes are all over the place. Enemies attack on diagonals when you can't. Some enemy attacks have tracking, so it's even harder to dodge with the slow walk speed. There is nothing as heart breaking in a side scrolling beat em up as pressing attack and whiffing, then getting hit by the enemy you was going for and they haven't even moved.The consequences for getting hit are quite big in this. You can be bounced all over the stage, into hazards and other enemy attacks. You can no longer cancel your hitstun with the defensive special either, so if a bad guy gets yo you have to eat the entire thing. So you have to preemptively use your defensive special, which now always takes a chunk of health which increases as you raise the difficult. Only sometimes you can't because of the recovery of your moves including the defensive special.

On the plus side though, hitting people in the game feels good, and the combo system in the game is interesting and adds quite a lot especially if you're playing the game for score. Score attack seems like the name of the game as the levels are completely distinct in story mode with you being unable to carry lives or stars to the next stage. If you want the classic streets of rage experience you can play arcade mode, which is more traditional, but is locked to 1 credit no continues.

I'd give the game a frustrated 7.5/10

Dennis0201 and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  11. Tricky

to the frustrations, have you watched how the speedrunners are handling the annoying enemies? you're meant to use neutral special pre-emptively to stop hits that you know will be coming. And like the old sor3 characters play exactly as they used to if you want the old ruleset back.

12. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yep. The frustration is around what i feel are odd design choices, not difficulty. To be clear i'm 30 hours in and working on 100% achievements. Mainly just some S ranks on hard and 5mill cumulative score to go.
    Again, to be clear, I know this. It's just that this is a system i feel doesn't work with the recovery of characters and the pacing of the game very well. You can get put in positions where using the defensive special is a huge risk because it isn't invulnerable it's entire animation. You can have an enemy attack you from off screen. And if you're playing on higher difficulties sometimes taking all that recoverable damage just isn't worth it. Neutral jump is often better.

They really don't in my opinion. They've actually all been buffed for some reason and the SOR2 characters seem nerfed. The differences in the game system don't change for them. They have the run an the roll, which is nice. The reason they can feel so much better sometimes is that the game actually has SOR3 enemy pacing, which is why i find it so strange most of the 17 characters move so slowly.

Imo Floyd still feels good because of his jab range. SOR1 character also have massive range and good hitboxes. Other than that you're mainly fighting against enemies who can literally run rings around you. I don't think the game needs run and roll. It just needed to be better balanced with movement speeds.

13. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Finished it. Deleted it. It's nots sor and I dont want to unlock shit for the sor feeling. Once Lisa was made a boss and got armor properties. The difficulty was capped. Bourbon as boss for any other level after 1 is capped. I shouldn't be punished for doing half ass combos or clear outs with SFV type green health to be prematurely jabbed out of a nice flow losing double life. getting cheap damage especially when I'm doing everything right is not fun. Not only is the run and side roll dodge absent. So is the weapon specials from SOR3 with 4 characters. Sorry not sorry.. disappointed by what the devs did and one of the devs saying they hope this don't become a franchise is exactly why this garbage was published as is. I mean you cant even special out of hitstun and it doesn't have iFrames. That's beyond me.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Dennis0201 and IcKY99 like this.
  14. beanboy

Yeah I saw some similar comments to what MarlyJay and SDS_Overfiend1 said, from other gamers who played it. Interestingly enough, alot of them strangely mentioned, that while they enjoyed the game, they didn't like certain weird design choices in the game. And others saying the game is good, but it is a step down.

Wait,...what?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  15. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yeah, pretty much how I feel. I've also seen a lot of people saying it's perfect and that it's the best side scroller ever, but I just feel people are intentionally over looking the game's flaws because it is called Streets of Rage.

My biggest annoyance is that it could have been a lot better with some tweaks, or rather, not tweaking things that already existed. It feels like people had a bunch of 'great' ideas that they slapped in and no one in charge asked how all these different factors come together.

I feel like a play through on the retro soundtrack will tell you everything you need to know about how much the devs understand Streets of Rage. It's great that it's in there... but it's all over the place. It's like that with the entire game,

16. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Pros:
    • 70% of the music is dope the other 30% is meh or too much wubwub
    • I love having ALL SOR1/2/3 characters to play (I agree with SDS grinding for chars sux ass tho)
    • I personally love the juggle system (its not SOR but its fun)
    • New chars Floyd and Cherri dope as fuck and arguably the best in the game
    • Co-op is sick
    Cons:
    • fuck super armor for bosses its complete BS
    • Bosses also have too much HP takes forever if your solo and cant infinite said boss
    • some of the bigger normal enemies also too tanky (biker girls)
    • movement sucks if your character isnt skate/sor3/cherri/adam4
    • i wish they would have kept the Hit stun infinite timing the same, you can still hit stun infinite but you have to jabx3 wait a few frames then repeat its dumb.
    • rertro ost is cool but song order is weird af
    • game is hard solo

17. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

The game is not bad but somehow too difficult, especially if you just want to kill some time with brainless inputs.

I consider this as donating 20 bucks to SEGA to support VF6.........

IcKY99 likes this.
  18. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with the game's difficulty. More AI exploition and 30+ hit combos on the enemy are needed to get by. This sequel exceeded expectations.

nou and Tricky like this.
  19. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    For better or worse the game is harder than every other Streets of Rage game at the equivalent difficulty setting, outside of Mania which isn't that different from Hardest in SOR4. I'm not counting SOR3 here as it was messed up. Just BK3.

One of the issues i have with the game is that it isn't as instantly intuitive as SOR1 or SOR2. In SOR4 playing well is just rote memorisation of enemy position and whatever tedious way you beat them safely. Older SOR games were quite casual and are easily played through at default difficulty without knowledge of spawns, enemy tactics, stacking, etc... You could just play them and beat them. At the time of writing only 45% of players on steam have the achievement you get for beating the game. Not very Streets of Rage like at all.

Dennis0201 and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  20. Tricky

Interesting takes. My expectations for this game were exceeded by a large margin. Ther is some cheapness in the fights but it didn't bother me once I adjusted. I don't know what others wanted this game to be. Sor3 was garbage and never got my head hands on bk3. I think this game targeted my demographic and is why I enjoyed it so much

nou likes this.