1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SVGL vs UCLA (just a thought)

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by feixaq, Nov 27, 2001.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about heading down to LA some time to play VF4 with the LA regulars. Just an idea for now, but... it might be interesting, no? Maybe next weekend, get a group of 4 people, rent a car and head out on Friday afternoon, returning on Sunday evening... any takers?

2. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

well I'm on the LA end, but YEAH BABY! That's a top-notch idea.

BTW I just passed my written test, and I go for my Cali license on 12/12. Then I'll be able to drive to UCLA.

Wish me luck!

grib.

3. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

sounds like a good idea...... but i don't think i have the time....... either rent-a-car or hey what about amtrak??? but either way im just throwin out ideas and i dunno if i have the time.

4. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

Great idea!!! But, can you wait until I finish my finals? I was just thinking of heading down to LA after my final exams.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

When are your finals...? I'm heading back to Singapore on Dec 13, returning Dec 27...

6. segaduck

Too bad. My last final will be on Dec 14th. Maybe next time.

7. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I'll be out of town from the 13th to the 15th, then from the 22nd to the 29th.

I'd love to play with you guys, lord knows we need the practice! I was very glad to play with andy anf ben last week, but as cameron is busy most days, I've mainly been playing CPU :(. So I suck once again.

I'd love it if we could keep a monthly thing going, where we take turns visiting each other. Ben told me the scene at SVGL is really strong, and I can tell from his playing he gets lots of practice. Suddenly, everyone in LA has vanished, aside from Cameron and I, and most people are still shying away from VF4...

Whenever you want to come down, I'm definately game!

Spotlite

8. gribbly

Yeah I'd definitely be up for coming up to visit you guys too... what spotlite says is true: I don't have heaps of time available to play (and UCLA is not that convenient for me to get to). What works well for me is regular, pre-arranged things as opposed to spontaneous get togethers.

So if there was some sort of regular monthly "exchange program" where we take turns visiting and playing, that would rule.

Hehe I was playing DC 3tb this morning to kill some time and keep my hand in a little, and I kept trying to tech roll =]

grib. (cam)

9. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe we should target the first week in January...? Jan 4-6 (Fri-Sun). Is SHGL or UCLA better for VF4 gaming?

10. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    I think UCLA is definately better in terms of comfort for me. Both have stools and food, though. Yet SHGL is much further away from central LA.

The button layout is just so much more comfortable, using short, jab and strong from the SF setup. The layout at SHGL is basically horizontal with the G button a little lower, but they're kind of far apart. The sticks are comparable at both places, but UCLA's 2P side is a little loose, even though the switches are new. Tragic seemed to have problems with the SHGL machine. I got used to the buttons and sticks after a while, but I still prefer UCLA.

UCLA charges 75 to start, but once you get a vs game going, it's just 50 to continue. SHGL is 2 tokens, and for $5 tou get 5 extra tokens. UCLA is on a projection screen that's nice and big, plus it's cabinet is really roomy. SHGL's monitor is a little old, and the color is off. UCLA has stage select, SHGL has 3/5 rounds, while UCLA is 2/3, but maybe we could change it...

Overall, I think Grib and I would say UCLA is a better place to play, but after Jan. 31st, the point'll be moot ;).

For our first meeting though, either SVGL or here sounds good. And it would be good to get set up now, so everyone can plan ahead.

I'd love to do the monthly thing though, for sure.

Spodmiss

11. gribbly

I haven't played at SHGL, so I don't know what it's like. I'm generally pretty flexible (i.e., I will suck equally on both machines).

I take issue with your claim that the UCLA arcade has "food" =]

I think if we pester UCLA enough they'll put the machine up to 3/5 for a "tournament", especially if we emphasise that it's going to be a regular thing.

What I really don't get is why the point is "moot" after Jan 31st??

grib.

12. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Well, the food thing... Andy was eating food from the pizza place in there, so I figure they didn't mind, in addition to the candy etc. But I know what you mean.

But, I mentioned Jan. 31st because that's the release of the Jap. ver. of VF4 for PS2. I'm going to be getting it, and I'm sure some of the guys in north CA will do the same, so we can play in the comfort of own homes, on good sticks.

I think that if we argue that the average game of VF4 lasts around one minuite, while people play a match of CvS for two or three mins on the same ammt. of money, they'll put it to 3 rounds.

Spotlite

13. gribbly

ah of course :) VF4 at home... that's some sweeeeeeet action.

well, unless my milestone totally blows up in my face (shouldn't... we're looking OK right now) I'll see you tomorrow night. I've been practicing my VF3 pai, so look out!

grib.

14. segaduck

VF4 at home!!! Great idea!!!

I started to miss the happy day when I played VF3tb with you /versus/images/icons/smile.gif.

15. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    It's going to be really fun. Can't wait to fight your Lei Fei, although

My Akira is not strong enough!

Spotlite

16. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

spotlite, gribbly et al,

How about you guys come up to the Bay Area next weekend (Dec 7-9), and then we'll drive down to LA in January...?

17. gribbly

I'm interested, but need more info. How long does it take to drive up? I've never been! Where would I be going exactly? Spotlite -- if you're driving could you give me (and maybe Amy) a lift?

grib.

18. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Erm... around 5½ hours, depending on traffic. You'd be going up on the I-5 North for around 240mi, then take CA-152 West for 40mi, then US 101 North for 20mi, then a little navigation here and there to get to SVGL. Might make sense to crash at someone's place for the night, then head back the next day...

Sunnyvale Golfland is at 855 East El Camino Real in Sunnyvale, CA... you can use maps.yahoo.com for driving directions. If you guys are game on coming up, we can figure out the logistics etc. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

19. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

If you drive at insane speeds, you can make it in 4 and a half hours. Not that I did that or anything. *cough*

20. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Well guys, unfortunately next weekend is most likely out for me. I have a lot of stuff to do around here.

Actually, I will be in the Bay Area from the 13th to the 15th for my birthday. As I'm going up there with my girlfriend, ans will be in San Francisco, I'm not sure if I'll have time to get down to San Jose though. That's Thurs-Sat I'm pretty sure. If I were able to get to SVGL one afternoon, would people be down to meet me there?

Cameron, if we go to No Cal, I'd gladly give you a ride, but I drive a little toyota truck, so I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for you and Amy for 5 or so hours. Maybe after you get your car all 3 of us can fit ;).

Spotlite