1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Switch over to japanese movelist notation?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hayai_JiJi, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I think the VF community should switch over to the japanese style of movelist for VF4. I mean it is just much faster and easier to write or type. What are your thoughts?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Um, japanese style? What do you mean? For instance, 6+PP instead of f+P,P?

3. Hayai_JiJi

Yeah, The numeric system for moves ie 66+p instead of ff+p

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

4. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Is there really such need? Besides, some people (like me for instance) will always prefer the western style to japanese one... if someone wants to use the numeric system, it's OK - pretty much everyone understands it, as does the western one. So there.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Eh, I prefer f,f+P to 66+P myself. I use a laptop at work to post, and the laptop doesn't have a numeric keypad, and it takes me half a second to mentally convert, say... f,d,df+P,K into 623+PK.

6. Hayai_JiJi

Eh, I prefer f,f+P to 66+P myself. I use a laptop at work to post, and the laptop doesn't have a numeric keypad, and it takes me half a second to mentally convert, say... f,d,df+P,K into 623+PK

Yeah but look you saved yourself from hitting an extra four keys right there. This system really shines when typing moves with long commands such as b,db,d,df,f+p+g it is so much easier to type 41236+p+g. Using the western system I would of have had to hit 15 keys as opposed to only hitting 9 with the Japanese system

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

b,db,d,df,f I'd just abbreviate as HCF =P

Really, I don't mind either way, but I doubt you'd be able to convince *everyone* to switch notations. Heck, the QWERTY keyboard is inferior in terms of key placement, but the inertia is tremendous.

8. Hayai_JiJi

Well I was just using it as an example. I am goin to start using the system hopefully I can get a few converts:)

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Why the heck do you care so much about convincing everyone to japanese system? I'll be always using the western one :p Feel free to convince everyone else. Period.

10. Hayai_JiJi

I just like it better I guess. I dont care what everone else uses that much. So continue to use uneccasary commas if you wish impudent dog:)

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

OMG, are you fucking kidding me?! We painstakingly make our own notation and graphics for it and abbreviations and you want to switch? OK, everyone, all 2002 cars have the steering wheel on the right. This is to accomodate the new road rules. Keep left except to pass! And those black and white speed limit signs are Kilometers, btw. (end Ass Mode)

"You goddamn pansy, find me more gin or I'll fucking get you thrown off the production." - George Carlin

12. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

[Warning: OT post!]

I have trouble when I go back to Singapore and start driving on the other side of the road. Right turns suddenly become a whole lot more difficult! =P

I much prefer the metric system though. After 5~6 years in N.A., I can still barely figure out how much an ounce weighs or how many yards there are in a mile.

(You! Stop laughing over there! Yes you. Wipe that grin off your face. Now!)

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

jOO PH3@R thE IMP3RIAL SYST3M dOOd. IT rUkES yr ASS.

--
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate..."

14. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Download the l33t sp43k g3n3r4t0r here: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ryanross.net/leet/>http://ryanross.net/leet/</A> /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

yeah, that was just a toss-off attempt at it. i would dl the generator; i would find it quite helpful, but unfortunately i use a mac. oh well...

--
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate..."

16. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

There's a web-based version available at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/mnstr_2000/translate.html>http://www.geocities.com/mnstr_2000/translate.html</A>.

Don't even get me started on Macs... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. Guest

Guest Guest

18. Hayai_JiJi

Just thought I would toss out an idea for discussion. I still have yet to hear a reason why the western system is better. All I have heard is that we are used to the other one. Also you need to chill the fuck out. I did not start yelling and cursing up and down about the greatness of the japanese system. I just politely asked everyone's thoughts on switching over.

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. I was in ass mode.

The reason it's better is because it's *ENTRENCHED*. Did that fly right by you in the example I gave? It's stuck. It's popular. In a poll of US VFers, 9 out 10 preferred staying with something that works just fine over switching their long distance carrier to verizon. There's no POINT in switching. The 1.1324 seconds you save in typing are wiped out by the 10 seconds it will take for us to mentally translate into B,F,U, or D. Which we would be doing for the next ten years.
    Under our system, B is instantly translated into "Back" by our brains, and back is such a simple, easy, and versatile word that there is 0 seconds lost getting a mental image of what must be done with the joystick. Under the japanese system, the simple word of back is converted to a number and then has to be converted AGAIN to back so that we can envision it. This constitutes extra time and mental effort.
    =====================
    Ass CreeD.

"Are you ready to play "Maintenance Department" fella? I'm the broom handle." - Groucho Marx

20. Hayai_JiJi

Fine I see your point and you could be right but I dont think so. Just kidding, so I guess we will stay with the old system. Though I doubt the exactness of your poll:)