1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken 4 players

Discussion in 'General' started by adamYUKI, Oct 8, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    I think some of the players should take up Tekken 4 a little more seriously on this board (more compeition) :). It may be the reason why so many Tekken 3 players and Tag players abandoned 4 is because Tekken 4 is close counterpart to VF3. (of course will less elements in the gameplay still) However the game has been slowed down and much seems clearer. The addition of terrain and walls in the game is an added big plus. I hear Ice is getting good in tekken (Tag, 3 or 4?) So how about it any other VF'ers semi-hardcore or hardcore into tekken competition?

CrewNYC

[​IMG]

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I used to play T3 a lot, but I simply got bored I guess... I don't like T4, seems like the designers got lost in their own design (in lack of better words ;)

<font color=orange>You now speak to GLC.</font color=orange>

3. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Eh...

I don't think it's a good idea to get too involved in T4... at least not yet. And what's this about Tekken 4 being like Virtua Fighter? It's seemingly slower? Floats are longer? Overpowered jabs? I don't get it. And I thought Virtua Fighter reigned supreme in movement (at least VF3... I don't know too much about VF4). This thread pretty much sums it up:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20736

That said, I'm going to start a new thread here. (I'm just learning VF myself)

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying Tekken 4 personally. Been playing it quite a bit.

However, in my mind it doesn't touch even the VF4test...

VF4 is still VERY VF. But Tekken4 is like the general Tekken engine concept trying to emulate VF.

In a sense, this is nice as a stronger concept of initiative is in the Tekken games. Not just the player who fucks up anymore, but more or less, it's somewhat resembling VF. The problem is the whole compromise... Tekken's concepts just don't seem to be pure when trying to be more like VF.

With the game being much more up close (but a range game certainly exists, just not at all like Tag's or T3's range game), mix ups in the VF sense seem important. And they are... but the lack of single low attacks that do anything really significant makes the mixups feel strongly limited... For the most part, the single low attacks are either an annoyance move (which can usually be countered) or a strong move that can be seen a mile away. When it comes to the low attacks that seem to be more effective, strings seem to be the theme, and the low is mostly there to set something up. The universal low parry helps to sort of kill the importance of low attacks further.

Low attacks have their place in this game, but the applications are almost always something close to obvious.

Limiting the throws and making situations easier to get out of probably took some aspects out of the series. In T4, so far, I could care less if you do the 1+3 Surprise exchange throws, I don't seem to really be at a disadvantage (hope I'm wrong). So now it's a guess between 2 or 1+2 to escape throws, and most of the time you can poke your way out of them in T4.

Undulation has been nice for overwhelming okizeme advantages and some combo setups. The wall, when used properly has been something I've been abusing for an overwhelming rush, even if the opponent techs off the wall.

To be honest, I am enjoying Tekken 4. However, I admit it just doesn't feel like anything solid because the game compromises itself in so many directions. It's a system that is ideal for range play, but forcing closeness (which is fine for me, as a VF player). The escape mechanisms seemed to originally encourage fast reflexes and coordination, but they've been greatly slowed down so it's pretty easy to escape. Recovery frames are very important now, but it's no VF. Minor Counter situations are still strong in this game, but the close play limits it to a degree. The game has a lot more "exchanges," but a lack of mixup options to really push these exchanges further. The list goes on and on. Sort of an "unclean" (for lack of a better word) system that's trying to be cleaned up. Problem is, it took a lot of the nice chunks that put the series in its own special place.

Fun game, but it's no VF. Nor is it Tekken anymore (as far as I can tell).

I will still discuss the game with those interested, and I'll probably still play it, but again, it's far from what I even experienced with the VF4test (and as I've said before, I even prefer VF3tb over the VF4test, but love both games a lot).

-Chanchai

5. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

from what i played of the game tekken 4 is crap compared to number 3

'Drunken idiot walking or staggering HIC,

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, I play Steve. Trying to learn Jin on the side, but it's generally Steve all the time.

Kaz is a nice Steve killer though/versus/images/icons/smile.gif As for Paul, Paul's a bitch... But he can be dealt with/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

On a side note, I talked to the guy who runs the distribution around here. He's afraid of investing in VF4 since VF3 is seen as a $9000 mistake. But he'll take a look at it. I'll be keeping tabs on how well VF4 is doing with various audiences around... Hopefully I can get something concrete and convince him to invest in VF4. We talked about Sega's poor representation as an arcade distributor in general and at Las Vegas. Perhaps the reason CvS2 isn't distributed as much is because Sega is handling that, maybe not...

Tekken 4 is doing very well at OSU. Beating the other arcade games here, but is followed by.... Virtua Striker 2. I was hoping Virtua Striker 2 wouldn't do so well so I could sneak a Naomi 2/VF4 board in there. The setup of the machine is perfect, buttonwise and japanese sticks and all. Guess that won't happen (dead sure of it).

*sigh* this wishful thinking pipe dream called Virtua Fighter in America....

-Chanchai

7. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

T3 was by far the best part IMHO. We have two T4 machines here, they were VERY popular after they came but now literally no one plays them :) Oh well.

<font color=orange>I probably hate you.</font color=orange> /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

8. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

I prefer Tekken 2, than 3, I normally played Jun, but they killed her in T3, so I tried other characters, but none click, so never like T3. In TTT I don't like the Tag concept.

I haven't tried T4 yet :(

9. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Tekken 2

I deeply cherish Tekken 2 for every reason except the gameplay. It was a good step towards Tekken 3 (though ultimately I prefer TTT), but there were always somewhat-cheap guaranteed ground hits.

You can try Hwoarang... ^ ^

Download some small movies <A target="_blank" HREF=http://underactive.net/~jsison/tekken/downloads.html>here</A>...

10. Drunken_Master

Re: Tekken 2

The best thing about number 2 was the music the tunes were so much nicers than tekken 3s shit

11. capercat

capercat Well-Known Member

if you didn't know the orange statue stage in T4 randomly plays T2 music. its the stage that gets time released with jin.

12. Drunken_Master

great so does it have every tune from tekken 2 or only some of them?

13. capercat

capercat Well-Known Member

no idea if it has all of them or not. if i find out if i let you know ... i can't hear it at any place i play at very well.

14. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Well Im for one a very big fan of the Tekken series../versus/images/icons/wink.gif
    I started out with T2 on arcade and have basicly been playing ever since, im the danish champion in T2,T3 and Tekken Tag[on PSX and PS2]and placed 5th in the World Tekken 3 tournament back in 99[the only reason I diden't won cause we where playing the Fuc*ing PAL vision/versus/images/icons/mad.gif, anyways since I live in DK I have only tried T4 once in London, soo I can't really review it, as far as gameplay goes, but the 7-8 hours I have played it, I think it playes great..

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by chucky on 10/15/01 07:37 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

15. ShinJin

ShinJin Well-Known Member

nope, not all the tracks, so far i've heard , ganryu's wang's kazuya's and i think law's

i only win from your mistakes, not my skill

16. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Wassup Shinjin!, yeah I heard that you play VF now, after the dissapointment of T4, I played VF3 arcade with Vainj the other day, I took him like 20-0 with kage!!/versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    You any good yet??

17. ShinJin

ShinJin Well-Known Member

heh, kage was cheap in VF3, you can't count wins with kage :p, but anyways, yeah, i'm getting quite good now, i can't hang with hatim, ryan and dai just yet but i have beaten them :)

i only win from your mistakes, not my skill

18. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Yup Kage was damn cheap[still is in VF4] Anyways I also fought ryan once, he took me like 19-1 in VF3, like 4 years ago../versus/images/icons/wink.gif