1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Pai Moves

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Jiraiya_The_Sann, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jiraiya_The_Sann

Jiraiya_The_Sann Member

PSN:
    Jiraiya-Sama2390
    [P]
    [2][P]
    [4][P]
    [6][3][2][1][4]+[P]+[G]

I know it isn't 10, but it'll do until I find some of her other really good moves

2. Venussail

Venussail Active Member

Rising P+K is really good. It can lead to some nice, damaging combos and is her only safe launcher to my knowledge. Isn't 2P universal?

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

do you mean, WS[P][+][K]? This is not a launcher. it gives +4 and +5 on neutral and counter hit respectfully but it does not launch. There are a lot of reasons to like the move but, again, not a launcher.

4. Venussail

Venussail Active Member

I'm not entirely sure what WS means. I meant 2_3P+K.

5. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

usualy WS is While Standing. Pai has a WS move with [P]+[K].
    Just crouch then release [2] and press [P]+[K]
    You can also input the command as [3][3] release the stick or dpad and then press [P]+[K].

6. GodEater

That's it. When I saw "rising" it was the only thing that made sense.

7. Venussail

Venussail Active Member

I need to get better with these notations lol. What about [3][P]+[K]? It seems pretty good IMO.

8. Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu Active Member

Not in any particular order some moves that I think are good. Maybe there are better moves, but these ones are what I found to use often.

[3] [P] + [K]
    [​IMG] [3] [P] + [K]
    ws [K]
    [4] [6] [K] + [G]
    [3] [K], [P]
    [7] [K]
    [9] [K]
    [6] [P]

9. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Pai's style is listed as 'Ensei-Ken'. This is a Japanese name for the Chinese art of Mizong Quan. The art itself is based on quick movements aimed at confusing your opponent. Mizong Quan is often translated as 'Lost-Track Fist', which should give you the picture. Wikipedia even suggests "Labyrinthine Boxing" which is my favourite!

Check out this video of a form, and see if you recognise any moves:

http://youtu.be/2bCBSYLvnk4

With all that in mind I'd say Pai's top 10 moves are those which most confuse the opponent!

ENTER THE LABYRINTH:

[4][P][+][K][+][G] gives you a core of 3 options, one of which can lead to Bokutai which gives you a core of 4 options, one of which can finish back turned which gives you a core of 8 options, one of which is
    [P][+][K][+][G] and so on via many different routes and starting points. Are we in the labyrinth yet?

[2][P][+][K] needs careful spacing but will duck High [P]s and offers 2 pathways into the labyrinth: [4] to bokutai and [K] to back turned (with optional (but risky) follow up [P] to outsmart crouchers).

[6][6][K][+][G] gives similar coverage to [6][K][+][G] but recovers 1 frame quicker and BACK TURNED.

[6][6][P][+][K] covers good distance giving a powerful low hit with [4] into the labyrinth or [G] to fake out (which is also a way into the labyrinth!)

WHEN IS A CROUCH NOT A CROUCH?

Pai's movelist suggests she has 2 'while standing' moves and 2 moves from [​IMG] crouch. The truth is that all 4 of these moves can be performed while standing (although the listed WS moves cannot be used while fully crouching, geddit?!)

Furthermore, after the animation of many low hitting moves (e.g. [2][P], [2][K][+][G]) Pai is immediately in a WS state, so you have 4 powerful options at your disposal: [4][P] is a safe check, [K] is safe with a knockdown on hit, [3][P][+][K] is safe and floats on hit, and [P][+][K] takes us... back into the labyrinth!

[6][P][+][K] [P] is a powerful, safe mid string that opens up the space Pai needs to shine.

And lastly...

[1][P] is a move specifically designed to dodge your opponent's [2][P] and counter for a float. Can you find it in the video above?

See you in the labyrinth...

DS

PurpGuy and Andramelech like this.
  10. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    [6][P]
    [3][P][+][K]
    [3][P]
    [9][K]
    WS [P][+][K]
    [2_][3][P][+][K]
    [3][K][P]
    [4][6][K][+][G]
    [6][4][P][P]
    [6][P][+][K][P]
    [4][P][+][K][+][G] (so many options to do with it)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    AZYG4LYFE likes this.
  11. GoTigers9999

GoTigers9999 Well-Known Member

I agree with your list 100% sozos.. I honestly think for online purposes 3P full Charge K could have a place near the top 10 as well

BobbyVF likes this.
  12. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    yes gotigers9999..u can do many options with the full charge [K]..for example after [2_][3][P][+][K] -> [P] -> [6][K][P][4][K] u can dash and tap [3][P]..so if opponent recover after [3][P] u have the chance to reset combo with [3][P] Full charge [K].. so [2_][3][P][+][K] -> [P] -> [6][K][P][4][K] -> dash -> [3][P] full charge [K]..like i said before that works if opponent recover fast after [3][P]..

13. GoTigers9999

Yeah I honestly never have to cancel the full charge K because when they recover, it tracks and a lot of the time it either staggers or connects and launches them.. I'm not sure if online enhances this but I'll take it..

14. BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory Well-Known Member

I found that, if they don't mash out of it quick, hitting them on block with the 3p full charge K will result in an instant launch with regular old K and then into a juggle.

15. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    1 move I wish I would see more Pais use is her 6P. It is basically her elbow based attack and it stuffs all kinds of attacks too. It is safer in general because of the reach it has over most of her other moves. Pai players that pay attention to frames can use this to basically set up her offense and since it is a mid people can't duck it on reaction like that could if you were using Pai's standing P. The FS Pai tutorial on the front page showed how much reach it had getting to people outside of their attack range normally and Pai would remain a good distance away from her opponent. I spam this move to death and if it hits I go after people afterwards if it misses or its blocked I can fuzzy after it too making it very safe as well. This is an under used move that should be 1 of the first moves a good pai uses to get frame advantage to make her game work as it should and yet many start things off a standing P or 1K,K and those moves tend to be easier to defend from than her 6P since a simple crouching defense can beat both of these moves easily. I am not saying they are bad choices but they are times where you might want to use something different to confuse the opponent like Vanessas that look to spam 1P on reaction to anything Pai does the second Pai starts to do anything as 1 example.

16. GodEater

Pai's that don't use [6][P] are mental. too many good things about this move although I really wish they'd kept her [K] continuation.

17. GoTigers9999

I think you gave me a great idea... I'm going to start using 6P more for interrupting mixups..

18. BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory Well-Known Member

yeah 6P is amazing against players like Shun and Lion who have a lot of strong low attacks. Hitting with 6P and then following up with a 3P mixup is really dangerous.

19. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I don't know how you play or who you play against but [6][P] should probably be one of the foundations of your offense.

20. GoTigers9999

I usually use 3P+K, 1KK, step or 2P to interrupt them.. [6][P] gives me another option though..