1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 General FAQ

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hayai_JiJi, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to that I'm quitting VF altogether thing? Good to see you've come to your senses:)

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

oh, be quiet -nt-

nt

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Here's my attempt at VF4 general faq. The doc is in it's preliminary version and rather incomplete - I'll be adding new stuff as soon as new info becomes available.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://zametex.pl/glc/vf4_general_faq_(glc).txt>GLC's VF4 General FAQ</A>

Comments, corrections and suggestions are welcome, especially from people that actually played the game...

Edit: this thread is no longer sticky<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Myke on 10/11/01 03:55 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Very nice FAQ so far. Keep up the good work. You and Mr.Bungle are the best at these things. At this point I think the NA VF scene would be in real trouble with out you guys.

P.S. Please pass on any Shun info as soon as possible I need it badly.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: VF4 General FAQ *sticky*

Hello GLC..
    I've once asked about this before..but no one was sure..
    Is Slow Replay still available in VF4? and is that true there comes a replay only after the end of total match, not after each round?
    I like your FAQ report, thanks.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

In the version I played, there are replays after each round. Win pose might be only in the final round (can't remember, pretty sure this is the case since I only remember seeing Lion's awful poses in few occasions)).

Just remembered a bit of detail:
    Seems like much of the traditional rules of throwing still apply with few exceptions. We've heard of certain Akira throws that interrupt attacks. Aoi has some attack that (in the version I played) automatically goes into some sort of throw upon certain conditions (MC or throw interrupt?).
    What comes to my mind however, is that I could not throw a staggered opponent. Maybe I did something wrong (like a HT instead of a LT), but my experience so far is that throws don't happen on a staggered opponent.

7. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

"Lion's awful poses.."

please tell me his and jacky's voices have been changed. why do they have to squeek in VF3? bring back VF2 voices, i say :)

- phil

8. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

update

From now on, the FAQ will be hosted at two places:
    - my site at http://virtuafighter.com/vf4_general_faq_(glc).txt (uploaded once in a while).
    I will also upload the doc to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://gamefaqs.com>http://gamefaqs.com</A> as soon as the movelists are completed.

The file name format may seem strange to some of you but it's been made like that to match that of Rich's archive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by GLC on 08/03/01 10:39 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Re: update

an excellent return..talk to you on icq.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

10. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

another update

I know it's shameless self-promotion, but if anyone's interested, I've made an index page of all my VF docs. You can reach them at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://zametex.pl/glc>http://zametex.pl/glc</A>.

11. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I've heard from a few people that the FAQ is too hard for newbies... any opinions on this? I'm planning to add "so you're a VF newbie" section but is it worth it?

12. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

not worth it, let someone else write a newbie guide if they feel people need to be spoon-fed.

13. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i think it's a good idea. there is nothing to lose by doing it, and will be appreciated by some.

14. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

You know, I was just looking at your FAQ, and I think that it's fairly accessable for newbies. The different techniques and features of the fighting system are laid out in plain English, and quite easy to understand. It's certainly far better than those Prima/Bradybooks (or whatever they're called) "strategy guides" that merely print out moves lists.

If there's anything to add, it would be a synopsis about each character; their fighting style, their unique strengths and weaknesses, and what you like about playing them. Of course, by then, you're talking about a whole new FAQ.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx

15. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for your comments. I'm planning to add more stuff to respective character sections, just later :) Expanding the movelists (by move damages, frame rates, additional properites etc.) is now the highest priority.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

hi. like the web site and the faq. i'm not registered in this web site but it's all right. my question is that you know in the old vf series when u press up u are 50 feet in the air. an i want to know if it has toned down in vf4.thanks

17. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Usually I don't reply to such posts but you have to be nice to people once in a while, no? So: big jumps are gone, now you can only hop.

18. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

hopping attacks

A question for people that played the beta... if uf+P or uf+K results in a hop without an attack, is a double-tap required for eg. hopkick? Let's take Kage's van halen kick as an example... what's the exact motion? uf+K~K? uf+K (hold K)? uf+K,pause,K? Should anyone be so kind and answer this ;)
    Chan?

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll add my ramblings to this thread...

Yes, you people seem to have forgotten that during the past 5-6 years VF has been completely dead everywhere outside Japan. Further compounding the situation is that only the people with access to the internet (especially usenet) or contact with those that did in VF's heyday ever managed to learn even the fundamentals of VF gameplay. All you ex- R.G.V.A. regulars seem to be taking the almost unwieldly complexity of the game totally for granted. So yes, I think newbies will probably need to have a guiding hand on more of the basic stuff you've left out or should have elaborated on.

Examples:
    Put something in there that explains how VF forces you to rely on your yomi in many situations, and how the fun of the game is based on the mindgames centering around anticipating your opponents actions. I mean, you didn't even mention that you're required to input escape or reversal commands for a throw or attack usually prior to seeing it on screen. Tekken people will think the system is broken or something. The only other fighting game that follows a similar yomi reliance that I'm familiar with is Soul Calibur and then that's not popular to begin with.

I think stance needs to be elaborated upon further in the current guide as it doesn't really mention its purpose or the benefits of keeping it in mind all too much. People just assume that VF hit detection sucks because they can't get f+K > u/f+K reliably with Jacky and elbows mysteriously whiff against crouched opponents.

Another thing I can think of that needs to be addressed is the role of G in cancelling canned combos in order to roll your own custom strings, since the delayability of combos will interfere with such attempts not utilizing G to cancel.

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be added and assuming that the above stuff still applies to VF4 but I don't see why it wouldn't.

20. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

aah the faq aint finished yet.....

[​IMG]

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>