1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 vs. Tekken backgrounds

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Which game do you think has better looking backgrounds?

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Looking - VF4.
    Useful - T4

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

T4, the majority of vf's look total crap if you ask me....

4. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Usefull as in sometimes invisible and bugged as hell .

5. plan17

plan17 Active Member

i like VF4's backgrounds personally
    Aoi's is beautiful and the other ones are really impressive
    Lau's is amazing.
    but whose background is that water one with the fence?

6. Shadowdean

Well, are we talking about wall paper...cause thats ALL vf4's backgrounds. Tekken 4's are actually backgrounds that you can use.

7. kbelanger

kbelanger Member

"but whose background is that water one with the fence?"

That is a stage that was added for the PS2 version and thus doesn't belong to any character in particular.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

you can use the walls in VF, dingbat. What else does a tekken background do besides make something for a body to run into? Can you pick up branches and smack your opponent with them or something?

Tekken's infinite stages in versions before 4 were truly wallpaper, but the edges of the ring and the walls make VF's walls make them more than something for spectators to look at.

9. Shadowdean

Hmm, elevation, poles...not just square and rectangular crap we are given now that is completely flat. Even if they are poor in exicution, they are still better IMHO than VF4's in terms of use.

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

nah, i agree with creed on the usage, the walls in VF can be used especially for a quick crumble which is overall deadly for setups and wall throwing, there are also wall pounces now, so the interactivity rises further than tekken 4's IMO which can only really be used to keep the opponent juggling with endless scrubby jabs.... (though not far off in VF4 either..)

looking however? VF4 needs some lessons....

11. Shadowdean

In defense of Tekken, the scrub jab combos are not a good indication of how the game should be played....
    The best backgrounds and stages were VF3, I don't believe ANYBODY can argue realistically otherwise..

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I'll give you that the best stages were VF3's, they were more interesting to watch.
    The important thing about VF3's stages though is that the slopes had little effect on gameplay. Attacks tracked up or down so the result was the same as if they'd been done on flat ground. A sidekick wouldn't whiff over your head when going downhill, nor would it be crouch-blockable going uphill. The square ring thing was supposed to remind people of VF2, but people's enjoyment of VF2 doesn't come from any fondness I had for perfectly square arenas.

As for tekken's utilization of walls and pillars and corners... watch the jin combo videos. Even with damage scaling it's comical to see 75% damage. To be fair, I don't know enough about tekken 4 to know if there's maybe some way it could have been avoided. Well anyway. Bleah. I was pretty nonplussed with tekken4's backgrounds, and I'm not someone to put blinders on for any game outside of VF. I was suitably impressed by DOA's new backgrounds.

13. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well... Slopes in VF3 certainly had an effect on my Lion's gameplay.

There were float combos that were slope only, but that wasn't really my focus. Basically, slopes completely altered much of my OTB combo game, some okizeme, and particularly uramawari.

Lion's d+KK was one of those otb moves I would whore out with the guy to tag extra damage to his combos... various combos would not work on slopes, and some would only work on slopes. Same went for pounces too, which was quite a deal. For example, if I was on Pai's stage, fighting Taka, and there was any hope of an opportunity to land df+P+G on the big guy, I would work quite a bit to position the characters to be fighting on a flat line (perpindicular to the undulation).

Regarding okizeme/uramawari... some options were way better than others in varying types of slopes... a lot of uramawari would either work better or worse depending on stance and slope.

Regarding float combos... Adam Yuki's Akira was scary as hell if he floated you (which he often did) when you were on the lower part of the slope. Way too many freaking hits in some of those combos, and the damage and range was HUGE. Pai's stage was a nightmare when you were too fearful of being wall-combo'd or flying downhill towards a ring out. Heck, seeing some of his Lau stage combos were a trip too.

To me, the slopes had a strong effect on gameplay, but I think it more or less depended on your style. I certainly couldn't rely on everything with Lion when fighting on slopes, but at times, the slopes at least compensated by giving me some situations where they turned out better.

On a side note, the combination of walls and ring out zones was VERY NICE in VF3's positioning game.

-Chanchai

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I don't find slope a big deal in terms of combos. You luck out and do maybe 10% less damage or 15% more for upslope and downslope. Basic bread and butter combos... PPPsweep or knee, P, knee... they worked up or down. Stuff that relied on scraping opponents off the ground (EG kage's running slide) maybe was a little less effective upslope.

I can remember a few VF4 vids where I can see "failing to TR/struggle cost this guy the match" but I don't ever remember thinking "slope (or a slope combo) won/lost this guy a match".

Which okizeme was better with slope? You mean you could cross the opponent's body or something better? Or a rising mid kick might miss more easily if the opponent is downslope from it?

15. Alx

Alx Member

Well sometimes in VF3 you can miss a hit because of a slope, so it can be important to watch the relative position of the characters when you choose your attacks.
    VF3 backgrounds were perfect indeed (those of DOA3 are great too, but that's not the point of this thread. It's a shame. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif ).

But since we're talking about stages, can someone explain me why there are so many common stages between Tekken4, VF4 and DOA3 ? Like the fenced arena with the big crowd moving behind ? Or the Aquarium stage ? Or the Colyseum with lightnings ? Or the temple arenas with breakable floor ?

Did all the programmers agree to compete on the same themes, or did they shamelessly copy each other ?

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

well, it sort of tends to get people worked up, but someone's always gotta say it:

I'm for the shameless copy bit, namely tekken copying VF...

17. J_Chuang

J_Chuang Well-Known Member

Actually I got the impression that vf4 removed slopes because it was too frustrating. Slopes make eblow and throw whiff at otherwise guaranteed situations, which is enough to change a match's outcome and make the loser feel a bit cheated. For most players there are already way too many things to keep in mind during the fight. Then again, vf4 is supposely the "simplified" version so more people can get into it.

18. J_Chuang

J_Chuang Well-Known Member

Actually I got the impression that vf4 removed slopes because it was too frustrating. Slopes make eblow and throw whiff at otherwise guaranteed situations, which is enough to change a match's outcome and make the loser feel a bit cheated. For most players there are already way too many things to keep in mind during the fight. Then again, vf4 is supposely the "simplified" version so more people can get into it.