1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5:FS Offtopic - Sega, and Evo Tourney, etc.

Discussion in 'General' started by tex, Jul 11, 2010.

1. tex

tex Well-Known Member

Will this game be in tournaments like EVO?

2. nou

nou Well-Known Member

^as long as it comes out and enough people sign up for it(and show up), then yeah.

3. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

In conjunction to what Femto said, if SEGA doesn't sue the guys at EVO, and put in as much support as NAMCO and CAPCOM, then yeah it might every well be in tourneys like EVO...

4. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Namco and Capcom make an appearance at these events, showcase beta's of their new fighters and in Namco's case even increase the prize pot. Can't see Sega doing any of those things.

I think it was Sabre on SRK that said the turnout at Evo when they last had VF was not good enough. He also said that they'd never have it on again.

Did Melty Blood get a good turnout?

5. 124

124 Well-Known Member

can i ask a question?

Is VF5FS still in WCG ?

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    ...the game was never in WCG.

7. 124

124 Well-Known Member

No, I mean after VF5 was in WCG, will VFFS still be there?

Okay, its not! DOn't bother me.

8. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Isn't Capcom of America the one that headed the relaunch of SF? Is there even a Sega of America?

9. nou

nou Well-Known Member

There is but it's not like they have somewhat competent business people like CoA.

Forgot about SEGA suing EVO in 2004...ugh...

10. tex

tex Well-Known Member

Sega Sued EVO? For what? Sega is going to die if they keep acting like donkeys.

11. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Evo sold DVDs of the matches, some of which had VF (lord knows which one) and Sega took exception to their material making others money.

Or something like that.

12. RaishinX

RaishinX Active Member

If it was 04 I'm pretty sure it was VF4:EVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SfT1bf5QY

13. Emerald_Wolf

Emerald_Wolf Well-Known Member

That's a good way to burn a bridge...

14. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Is that really true of Evo? I'd read about this happening to Beat Tribe but Evo as well? WTF

I remember Sony of America made a fuss about Sega releasing VF4Evo at full price because it was an upgrade of VF4 not a full sequel. It eventually got released much later in the US compared to the rest of the world but at a budget price. In terms of competition (if not commercially) VF4Evo did well here so I dunno how much that delay hurt the US scene.

15. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Nintendo did the same with smash as well.

16. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

Sega needs to build those bridges they burned like Nintendo (kinda) did...

17. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Technically it is in Sega and Nintendo's rights to sue for the sale of DVDs, same with Capcom. The difference is that Capcom and Namco realize that allowing them to publish it works in their favor because it spreads the word about their games.

18. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Not only does Capcom not sue over things like DVDs but they even encourage them or thank the community for them. The legendary Kuroda DVDs for 3S are widely acknowledged as being amazing by tons of Capcom employees. Instead of stopping the sale of those DVDs, Capcom embraced them, and it easily paid off because Kuroda is considered the god of 3S and his DVDs keep people playing the game and keep the scene alive. Kuroda is almost entirely responsible for making 3S what it is today. 3S is one of the only games to be at SBO every single year because it has such a devoted following in Japan. Without Kuroda and his DVDs the scene wouldn't be close to what it is today.

Capcom knows full well about GGPO and they aren't suing over that either. You can play emulated arcade games on GGPO for free. Capcom gets no money. Instead of dropping lawsuits they licensed the netcode used in GGPO for one of their recent XBL/PSN games. Amazing community outreach.

By the way it was EVO2003 that Sega sued EVO to stop a DVD being made. I'm not sure when Beat-Tribe was sued but they were threatened to stop creating DVDs without a paid license from Sega as well. It's not like either operation directly generated a lot of money so Sega's action really were pointless. All it did was alienate or upset a significant portion of the competitive community. Even if Sega wants places to have an official license they should just charge a $1 fee and not try to nickel and dime every single fan. Of course that would make sense so Sega has to go the other direction.

How much money do the EVO and Beat-Tribe DVDs make? Less than $1,000 between the two if you add up all of the profits over the years? Now how much money does Sega make from the free promotion of VF from those DVDs and continued play of VF in the arcades and on consoles? Probably more but Sega isn't interested in thinking in the long term.

19. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

So basically... you wrote in 4 paragraphs what I was able to write in 1 sentence.

20. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

So is this Capcom doesn't sue discussion now? They probably would have sued SEGA over VF if they hadn't already lost a major case due to their stereotypical characters.