1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS Akira - Overpowered??

Discussion in 'General' started by Junsuina Chikara, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. I've been maining Akira since vanilla. I was good with him back then but just struggled a little bit with execution but all these issues are irrelevant as I can perform all of his moves fine now. As many Akira players try, I spent a lot of time in the dojo on the GBoD and I can safely say that I can perform it 9/10 now but what bothers me is that it cannot be avoided. Even if the other player is respecting the VF system (attack -> blocked? start guarding etc.) all you have to do is wait for them to finish attacking and punish with GBoD and you got yourself 70 pts of damage. The only option to avoid it is to not guard or evade but then the Akira player only has to attack or throw. This is also aside from all the damage Akira can pull off. I get at least 80 pts of damage off a NH Yohou or Knee on 90% of the cast.

So ultimately, is Akira an overpowered character and should be nerfed in VF6 or is it my lack of knowledge of other characters means that he's still a balanced character in comparison?

GustavoHeisenberg and Feck like this.
  2. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Inb4 99% of VFDC says YES! lol

But seriously, the principle of a guard break is ridiculously strong. But, using it on a player who stands there and blocks isn't indicative of the strength of the character, but the weakness of the opponent. Good players will find ways around it, and you'll have to earn your guard breaks.

Akira does need to get nerfed, but only a damage nerf. More accurately the damage after his GB's. Totally removing GB's from Akira would hurt him too badly, due to lazy TE and the fact that he lacks lows and strings.

Ytpme_Secaps and Feck like this.
  3. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Not overpowered at all.

Some of his signature moves were actually better in older games, faster exe on moves like 6p+k+g (12f, same speed as throws in vanilla), SDE (14f and more damaging when taking into account the changes to to health).

GBoD isn't a massive threat imo, plenty of ways to avoid it. Can be crouched or evaded ...hell moves that go under highs like 2p will beat it. If your opponent is stood there holding [G] vs Akira then he's playing the game wrong.

His damage is fairly average, he knocks out a pretty average 80 from 99% of his launchers. Could be wrong but i'm sure Eileen puts out more damage :/

I think the main reason he got a bump up the tier list in FS is down to how safe he is, moves like [6][6][6][P], his half circulars [4][6][P][+][K] and [4][6][P][+][K][+][G] & SPoD all gave the defender nitaku in previous versions, whereas in FS they are totally safe.

Risk is really low for Akira if he's playing it safe but the reward is quite high in the grand scheme of things.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  4. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    It's tougher to fight fs akira than vanilla akira from a defensive perspective. The threat of guard break forces me to play in a way I'm not used to playing.

SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
  5. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Nah, Akira's dmg is great, just not on Jacky/Goh/Brad's level.

Eileen can do slightly more, but that's off a launcher, which is -15 and poor, frail Eileen gets hit like a mack truck afterward. :(
    The fact that he's super safe is the real reason he's top. Akira + someone with good defense is hard to deal with.

GustavoHeisenberg and Feck like this.
  6. Feck

The damage itself really isn't great, Goh knee does more damage than any launcher Akira has (it's almost Akira wall combo damage lol) and the move is still safe.

I struggle to think of a character that can't put out more damage than Akira.

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The system favours him A LOT. almost like it was completely designed for him. It's not just the GB either. Some of his buffs are just unnecessary unless they were trying to actively make him crazy good.

DE is still +4 on NH. It's 13f. 3P+K now +7 on NH. Staggers with your opponents back to the wall guaranteeing Byakko. 66P+K gives him a free strong safe mixup on NH as teirou kanpo [P] is stupidly delayable.

Then we come back to the guard break. people will say that it's slower now, but this is actually the cause of the problem. If it was the same speed as throw (10f), there wouldn't be a problem as you fuzzy when you're meant to there is a good chance the move whiffs. As it is, you do fuzzy and Akira's GB will definitely catch you.
    If you assume that your opponent believes you will will guard you attack for max reward but against Akira his GB will stuff your attack leaving him at only -1. It's even better from sideturned situations.

So he has an attack that beats "proper" defence, and is pretty much neutral against attacks.

The other thing is his safety. He probably doesn't need to be that safe. Who else has fuzzy safe half circular mids in both directions?

Basically the character is strong because the system suits him MASSIVELY. I would still say Lei Fei in vanilla was a better character though.

pana and Feck like this.
  8. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Also, what world is this where Eileen is doing more damage?

9. Feck

So basically you're saying that the game is broken but Akira is fine :p

SDS_Overfiend1 and BlackGeneral like this.
  10. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm saying little to no thought went into how the system and character changes within the system would affect play. As it is it massively benefits Akira, making him overpowered.

Unicorn likes this.
  11. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Akira and Jacky overpowered... Ill keep my mouth closed on this one...

12. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Where does anyone suggest that Jacky is overpowered here? Not that i think he isn't or anything.

13. Katsuro

Katsuro Well-Known Member

Weirdly, despite being a bit crap at VF and fighting games in general, I find Akira's moves the easiest to predict out of all the VF cast, which is handy with Aoi "Reversal" Umenokouji as my main. So in my very-not-expert opinion I'd say anything that makes him potentially overpowered is very heavily mitigated by his predictability.

I still loose a lot online to him but when fighting Akira it tends to be the few times my defeat is not a complete curbstomp (if I'm fighting against Shun of Lei I basically might as well put the controller down and go for a walk). And I can reverse everything AI Akira throws at me all day long, which I find highly amusing to do because I'm strange that way.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  14. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Akira is so broke, his users make me single palm my own face when they complain about anything.

15. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    No reason to complain, because no one exploits his weaknesses.
    I'm kool with that :D

16. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    He has weaknesses?

Mold_Monkey93 and BlackGeneral like this.
  17. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Of course he doesn't. He's OP and of the two omnipotent characters in this game.

18. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Exactly. Tool for pretty much every situation.

Not to mention vs. Jeffry match up.

That's purely up to the Akira player. You lose, you're doing something wrong.

19. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Sooo picking Akira means I win automatically? Annnnddd no amount of skill can change that?
    And If I lose, I'm doing something wrong... Not my opponent doing something right, and vise versa...
    I'll never understand that mentality. regardless if this is the scrubbiest VF ever made, skill makes I difference.

Ytpme_Secaps and Mold_Monkey93 like this.
  20. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I speak from the perspective as a Jeffry player. Other characters have waaaaaay better tools (all of them).

You could only understand when nearly all you mids can be ducked under. So maybe it isn't so much an Akira problem, but rather Sega really hates the black man.