1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC Online Events Feedback - Poll 1

Discussion in 'VF Circuit' started by akai, Apr 4, 2012.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    With the release of VF5 Final Showdown, there will be organized online events. These will be regular occurring, region specific, point-rewarding tournaments for VFDC members.

Ultimately, this is mainly done for good-will and the VF community (which is fairly small and spread out) and not to determine who is the strongest. If people really care about who is the strongest, I hope these online events will encourage people to participate in actual offline events.

As this will be the "first season," I am expecting there will be a lot of kinks to work out. I will be using this thread to gather feedback. More concrete information will be out in May.

Update: More polls for feedback -
    Polls 2 + 3 Thread
    Polls 4 + 5 Thread

Poll to get Feedback on Tournament Rules/Formats
    Please click on every item related to tournament format/rules that you will be ok with for regular online events. One of my first goals with organizing these events is to make them time-efficient. If there are certain rules or formats not included in the poll (below), but you would like it to be consider, please click "other" and post in the thread your ideas/suggestions.

Already know and committed to participate in these events?
    If you already know you will participate in these events (it is not required that you participate in every single event scheduled), please Send a PM (private message) to me with the following information:

1. Preferred User Name for the Tournaments:
    2. Game System (PS3/Xbox360/Both):
    3. PSN and/or XBL account ID:
    4. Email Address (that you will actually check):
    5. Location (City/State(or Province)/Country):
    6. Time Zone:

Having a preliminary list of people participating will help me in setting up the different regions for the online tournaments.

New to the site and/or not familiar with how to Send a PM?
    1. You will need a VFDC account to be able to send a PM. You can register onto VFDC by clicking at the Log In link at the right end of the menu bar just beneath the VFDC logo.

2. You can send a PM to me in two ways.
    Method 1: To the upper left of this post --> select my user name "akai" --> select "Send a PM" which is the third option from the drop down menu --> After writing your message and subject title, click the "Submit" Button to send your PM to me.
    Method 2: Click the drop menu arrow of "My Stuff" option in the menu bar --> select "Messages" --> select "New private message" just below the menu bar, to the left --> type "akai" (without the quotation) in the "Add Recipient" bar --> After writing your message and subject title, click the "Submit" Button to send your PM to me.

3. Once I received your PM, I will PM back to you to confirm that you have sent me your info to participate in the series of online events.

Thanks for any feedback and hopefully this will lead to better things.

------

Edit Notes: The poll have some errors. Unfortunately, once made, a poll cannot be edited. The spelling errors are: wtih = with; singel = single.

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    For tournament format are you just going to pick the one that got the most votes or the top 3 that got the most votes and cycle them for more variety?

Also I accidentally clicked on "other" so just scratch that off as I'm not gonna PM you anything regarding that.

3. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I will make the first event based on what most people prefers (poll results); however, changing tournament format is a good idea to give variety during the "season." It kind of also depends on what format works best in running an online event, so I will be constantly looking for feedback to improve this series of online events.

If the poll shows a very divided stance on what people like/don't like (for example, yay or nay to character switching seems fairly evening divided). That might be a rule that can be alternated to please (or not please) everyone [​IMG].

Thanks for those that have already PMed me that they will participate in these events!

4. Daikath

Daikath Member

Or different rules apply for different stages of a tournament, with in the beginning a 3 out of 5 structure, to pure elimination later. Like with the world cup.

Or changing of character early on but not later.

5. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Different rules for different stages in the tournament is a possibility.

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Other = First stage is random. Loser can choose next stage.

Akai, this is awesome.

7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I second this suggestion

8. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Hopefully this thing picks up steam!

9. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Character switching seems pretty close.

Why are people for/against it?

10. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I'm for it because I have balls, I'm confident enough about my own skills that it doesn't concern me if my opponent changes characters to try and get an advantage over me.

Come at me bro. [​IMG]

11. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Note taken.

1. People just like to play more than one character.

2. For some games there is significant differences between certain character match-ups that make it highly unlikely to be a fair match. Thus, advancement in tournament is based on 2 out of 3 matches allowing character switching. For some people, character match-ups in VF are believed to be relatively balanced (every character has options available to counter everything); thus, the option to switch characters to avoid unfavorable match-ups is not needed.

3. Due to uneven experience with the VF characters or the opposing player, players can make more logical guesses against a character they have played against a lot or seen the opposing player has used a lot; vice versa, the player can make less logical guesses due to lack of experience against certain characters or have not seen the opposing player used that character. Some people like to think character switching to defeat an opponent that lacks experience against certain characters as a smart, strategic move. Others see it as being gimmicky.

12. Xzyx987X

Xzyx987X Well-Known Member

I'm against it because I only play one character. Therefore, character switching can do nothing to help me, and everything to hurt me.

By the way, I am also for the idea of doing some team tournaments like they are always doing in Japan. The new 8 person lobbies should be ideal for doing a 4 player per team tournament. I know something like this was attempted in the past and dropped, due to hardly anyone actually showing up. But with a new game to motivate people, things might turn out differently this time.

13. Tricky

I like the team battle model too. It could be a way for sparring partners to group up against other online "crews". There also be character specific based teams too. Team Eileen anyone?

14. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

In what way? And I apologize ahead of time if I sound condescending which is far from my intentions. If you have problems with certain characters, it's your job to figure them out, just as the opponent has put in the extra time and effort to learn that extra character. This rule doesn't bother me one bit and shouldn't "harm" you if you have a solid grasp on the basics, it keeps you on your toes and makes matches more exciting.

Or Team El Blaze, or Team Aoi [​IMG]! I'm all for this!

15. Tricky

Team el blaze should be Team HOT DOG! or Hot Doggin', or Doggy Style.

16. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Well we did the team tournament thing a couple of times on the Shakedown. It was lots of fun but with the spectator modes and such running online events will be much easier.

I'm pretty hyped on seeing new blood enter the community, seeing them level out, and giving them the "Worst" beatdown they'll ever know [​IMG]

17. Xzyx987X

Xzyx987X Well-Known Member

Count me in. [​IMG]

The issue is more that after playing even one match with someone, they will learn your style to a certain extent. That's for the most part fine, as you will learn their style too. But, if they decide to switch, they will have more information on how to fight you than you will have on how to fight them. Especially if you are playing someone in a tournament for the first time ever, and the only experience you have with each other is one fight, switching characters to get a blank slate puts you at a major advantage. And since, in this game especially, many people only use one character, it could be considered an unfair advantage.

18. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

I'm neutral to most of the options. Switching isn't a big deal in VF in my experience. You take a bigger risk by changing characters imo.

I think RR pools would be a great learning opportunity in every tourney we do online, btw.

I'd also like to see smaller, more frequent RR tourneys separated by regions of the US to minimize latency, separate from any national ones. The problem with that is motivation, but maybe FS's features will make it a lot more enjoyable to do.

Random stage straight through please.

19. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    From my experience with VF it's far more common to find someone who can play with 2+ characters than someone who can play with only one.

I don't have any problems with character switching. It doesn't bother me when people switch characters on me. If I'm beating them it's usually because I'm out reading them and I could probably out read them regardless of their character choice.

If you have a problem with people switching up and blame a defeat on that then you need to work on your character knowledge. Not everyone is gonna be using Akira against you.

20. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I think the purpose is to make more people involved with our community, and the rules should not be too restricted.

Maybe we can have Dural match as well!!