1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter FAQ SHAQ (retro repository)

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by GodEater, Feb 6, 2009.

1. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

--> http://virtuafighter.com/faqshaq/ <---

since VF2 and VF3TB (DC) have found their way to being emulated I thought this was long ago needed and never done.

RSW/Mr. Bungle was instrumental in keeping information related to the older VF games alive and well and myke has hosted the website he maintained for all text documents on VFDC but it's never been really known or accessible. Really, outside of a handful of old farts no one much cares likely but it's always nice to see this stuff not get mothballed.

Getting into the earlier VF games through emulation or just looking for a nostalgic stroll through the time when men were boys (we really were a lot younger then) and counter hit damage would make you vomit? hit that link and satisfy!

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

just a note to the two or three people who find themselves looking through the shaq - there are many more guides out there (mostly at gamefaqs, some ancient ones from usenet can be found via google groups) but i originally set up the page as a best-of list of guides...the cream of the crop.

also, sorry for the fact that everything is double-spaced and doesn't wrap if downloaded. i have no idea why it's like that.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
  4. Mr. Bungle

i don't have the patience for managing all the old info like i used to, but why not...if i find myself incredibly bored i might give it a try.

i actually just found the most complete/updated folder of all the text files, and they seem to not have the wrapping problems that other copies do. GE, you want them as well?

5. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Maybe this might be of interest to you. I'm in possession of a (quite) complete Virtua Fighter archive weighing about 4 GB of pure VF data including movies, FAQs, (official and fan) art for VF1 to VF4 (via VF Kids). Alone the text archive has about 600 files. For VF3, for example, there are about 180 FAQ text files (technical info, character-specific and general FAQs, etc.).

I'd be glad to share it.

6. Mr. Bungle

sounds like the virtua fighter archive. i actually put all that together myself a bunch of years back /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

there was a semi-failed attempt to distribute the VFA via CD-R's back when uploading and downloading 4gb of stuff was impractical but it's good to know that some people got the archive.

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    FWIW, I still have my VF Archive.

8. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess that's it. I think my offer to share it is obsolete then, if you compiled the whole archive. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

9. StupidIdiot

StupidIdiot New Member

Hello to you all. This here's my first post and I'm scared.

Mr. GodEater, you mentioned that there are emulators for VF2...what one do you use? If such a thing is allowed to be discussed. I have a genesis/megadrive emulator and VF2 (the megadrive version is truely awful - no offense to it), but don't know what to use for the "proper" VF2.

10. GodEater

please, "Mr. GodEater" is my father, you can call me GE.

for the emulation of the Arcade VF2 you need to go here and pick up the Model 2 Emulator. the program is legal, the ROMs holding the game data are not (unless, like myself, you own the actual board) so I can't help you there but I can tell you that "google is your friend".

Welcome aboard.

GE

11. StupidIdiot

StupidIdiot New Member

Fair enough, I suspected you might not be able to say where to get the ROMs. But I like google. Thanks for the link and the welcome!

12. TechRomancer

TechRomancer Well-Known Member

Please don't delete those!

Everyonce in awhile it is good to go back and review the VF4 information and flowcharts; one should always be acquainted with the basics.

13. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

I think it's extremely important to archive everything about the series.

Not just written FAQs but everything else, from interviews from Sega about the series, to the Japanese books with frame data, to DVDs like SBO, Beat Tribe, EVO, and even the videos from VF.NET or other gatherings. Even saving copies of magazine that have featured the game to footage of that WCG TV show in Sci-Fi that one of the VFDC members was on.

Having the history of VF is extremely interesting and it's always nice to look back on stuff.

I was very dismayed to learn that a user Creed had lost his hard drive containing match videos of VF4. I was looking for matches of Korea vs Japan in VF4EVO where famous brothers Shinz and Moonsuk played some Japanese VF players on Korean TV but it looks like those matches have been lost.

Now with stuff like YouTube having old videos of VF tournaments being readily available is very possible. There are matches of Kyasaeo, Chibita, and BBMaru from over a decade ago that were previously impossible to find on the internet.

Sudden_Death likes this.
  14. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    i've actually been playing vf2 lately thanks to the ps2 port.

it's incredibly interesting to see how much the series has evolved since then and the shaq has been a big help in helping me understand the game.

15. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
  16. GodEater

yeah, RSW requested that the entire hosting of the shaq be pulled for some reason so it was.

I've been meaning to port stuff over but it is a drain on time and would be for a, seeming, audience of three. :)

17. Terracrush

Terracrush Well-Known Member

Getting acquainted with the older versions of VF and I was wondering how I could get a hold of some 4GB goodness @Leonard_McCoy .Thanks guys