1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

what VF4 feature are you most pleased with over the previous VFs? ...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by BK__, Apr 21, 2002.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

for me, it's gotta be the ability to force-crouch the opponent, it's just sooo fun to do, and a variety of setups can follow..

jeff:= d+p+k (FC) ~ triple knee grab ...... ^o^ eeeevil!

bwahahahah!!!!

2. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Hmm, there is a couple of them:

First, the TR/QR. I like how the game can flow as a consequence of those two; TR/QRing is not the best solution all the time, so figuring out when to use what adds a lots of ways to attack and defend because of TR/QR. I meant to leave the discription general, as I am sure most of use here know how this works. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Second, Sabakis! Simply put, what can you do with a defensive move that attaks and defends at the same time?? It just opens up new possibilities... Lei-Fei happens to be a new character that has many of those.. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

What else? Hmm, I would say the way some combos and move priorities are changed. This helped to balance the game, and also keep it fresh.

There must be some other things, but those are the major ones I thought of of the top of my head. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

I thought Aoi's df+P+K was a force crouch move in VF3... at least it's more widespread in VF4.

I love crumbles... they're fun to combo off of, and they look cooler than simply another moderate float starter. Hey, they made Aoi playable /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

MC dodges... it ensures that well-timed dodges are rewarded (usually), and discourages lots of random use of dodging since nonMC dodges sorta blow.

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Re: what VF4 feature are you most pleased with over the previous VFs?

robyrt, you are right, however, in VF3, i don't think that force-crouch moves *actually* did much in comparison, the stagger animation ended before you had a chance to do anything so it was comletely useless.

i.e wolf's f+p+k, or jeff's d+p+k moves were force-crouch moves, but in actual fact, quite pathetic as there are next to NO follow-ups whatsoever.

what i meant was VF4 basically opened up new posibilities to this feature and gave the user more time to make of it, i apologize if i did not explain well.

my bad...

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i.e wolf's f+p+k, or jeff's d+p+k moves were force-crouch moves, but in actual fact, quite pathetic as there are next to NO follow-ups whatsoever.

<hr></blockquote>

The crouch forcing game is equally "pathetic", or advantageous, in VF4 as it was in VF3. Low throws are not guaranteed off Force Crouch attacks.

7. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

The new wall mechanics rock. Even though I can't remember to struggle a wall stagger and get raped I think it's makes the game more interesting overall.

The new stun animations also bring more to game as well and VF4 probably owns something to Kazuya (the man who started it all).

8. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Very well thought out thread, interesting if nothing else. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Let's see...

First off, the dash system.
    I was really pleased with the return of VF2-style dashes. The new dodge system forces you to rely more on in and out dashing than side to side dodging. Good stuff!

Well executed Improved floats
    One of the things I initially disliked about VF4 actually, and I still have some problems with it. Still though, it's the best over the top float system around. Could've been alot worse, it could've teared VF apart.

Other non-gameplay related features I like include:

VFnet profile system
    Completely brilliant, especially for the home version. No longer any problems with different controller setups (providing your mates also have memcards). The item and customization options are splendid too.

character models look cool again
    Oh heck, what can I say, the Virtua Fighters have never looked cooler. With the possible exception of VF1 Lau... (lol)

9. PlugAndChug

PlugAndChug Well-Known Member

This is just nitpicking, but oh well. In VF3, whenever Aoi did a ground throw with your oppenent's head towards you, your oppenent somehow mysteriously flip 180 degrees in an instant for Aoi do her leg break. It's nice to see that there is a separate animation now for head towards or feet towards in VF4. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Shun getting thrown while in handstand. I don't know if this was in VF3 also, but seeing Shun suddenly flip upside-down instantaneously bothers me.

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i also like the fact which you can g-cancel crouch dashes into eachother, VF4 really does have a smooth feel of movement put into it which impresses me.. i still miss evade ~ CD ~ evade patterns though.. darn it!

11. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

>Low throws are not guaranteed off Force Crouch attacks.

Do you mean because the low throw can be broken?

Or what do you mean - are you telling me that (Jeff) d/f+P+K (MC), d/fP+K+G is not guaranteed?

grib.

12. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

well, i think i gotta agree with CreeD, as i think the reduction of the evade's potential made the game a lot more balanced; now people have to think as to when they will evade, instead of the past where it was possible to just go nuts KSing and occasionally get lucky making the opponent's attacks whiff.

that's probably my vote, but runners up include:

1)QR/TR system; the fact that it avoids many OTB combos, but that this introduced a totally new form of okizeme; the backstagger; thus the balance of power is restored; QR/TRing all knockdowns is not the solution
    2)crumbles; i love this tekken feature, and when it was added, it was pure fun /versus/images/icons/wink.gif
    3)improved crouch dash system; easier to do(don't need to hold the 2nd input), can be done backwards, can be done from a crouch, etc.
    4)improved wall dynamics; easier to implement, made wall combos a lot more interesting

finally,
    5)K.O. hits /versus/images/icons/wink.gif no seriously, have you noticed how sometimes when you hit the opponent with a weak attack and they are K.O.'d, but stumble backwards instead of falling down immediately? you can actually throw them if you want during this phase; case in point, i K.O.'d the computer using sarah's PG, then ran up and clotheslined the opponent before he fell down.

13. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

*off topic* Actually, during that "KO crumble", you can throw them long after you should be able to... it looks rather strange as Sarah clotheslines an opponent whose head is at your stomach /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Lion_210

Lion_210 Member

well, my favorite new feature is obviously kumite

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

the second one, it's not guaranteed.

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

>Low throws are not guaranteed off Force Crouch attacks.

Do you mean because the low throw can be broken?

Or what do you mean - are you telling me that (Jeff) d/f+P+K (MC), d/fP+K+G is not guaranteed?

<hr></blockquote>

That's right, it's not guaranteed, even after an MC. And I mean the opportunity to throw is not guaranteed, like it would be in any throw counterable situation. Throw Guaranteed'ness has nothing to do with whether or not the throw can be escaped.

In the case of Force Crouch moves, any fast attack, standing dash or even a dodge will suffice to foil the low throw.

17. void

void Member

Aois (MC)df+p+k IS a guaranteed low throw....I know that Wolfs FC is not, no clue on Jeffs.

18. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

VF.net -- I think the arcade version is more of an accomplishment than the home version. the fact that you can save your data at the arcade and play it anywhere in the country is amazing!

19. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

saddly, yes gribbly, myke's right... the force crouch can be struggled, and the low throw can be escaped.... but there still is better use of this move than there is in part 3, i think a knee can be exicuted successfully into a combo of your choice even if you don't have time to go into a throw...

meh, if you do successfully pull it off, it's well worth the feeling... three knees going straight into jacky's head! OHHH YEAHHH!!

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? Aoi's only +6 after an MC d/f+P+K...