1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Where do the good players play in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Ellinas, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

The competition where I play is rather pitiful, consisting of mostly button mashers, and despite playing 4 days a week for like 3 weeks at least, I haven't seen even seen 1 human akira, shun, aoi, or sarah. It's all lau, pai, or jacky. I must have like 90% overall winning percentage there. Naturally.. I'm seeking some competition, and I'm wondering.. which arcade do the good players go to?

2. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Only place I know they got a VF4 machine is "Amusement 2000" corner of crescent and st-catherine, downtown, Montreal. Some good players occasionally stop by, ( 3 of them heh ). 1 very good Jijii player in that mix aswell.
    We kept pumping in quarters to beat each other for an hour yesterday. Im guessing I've seen 6 decent players, everybody else seems to be popping their cherries...
    p.s. Im going there tonight after class like after 9 pm, i usually play there late night

3. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Well, the place i play at is in st laurent, on decarie, around the corner of decarie and cote vertu. It's around decarie hot dog if you know the place, just a bit further down. Set to 3 out of 5 rounds for vs, 50 cents. Both sticks and sets of buttons are in perfect condition (as far as i can tell). The typical player there is very funny. The lau players who get hit by 7 low punches in a row at the start of the round, one after the other (i'm not kidding, i counted 7 once) The lei fei button mashers... he's kinda like maxi in soul calibur in his randomness when played by a masher, so almost dangerous, haha. I guess i'm not surprised considering that the arcade isn't in downtown.

Well, I might stop by there sometime, but not tonight (it's 8:30 as i post this, hehe) Downtown is a bit of a trip for me to play VF4 (even tho i'm horribly addicted, despite poor challengers) I probably won't be going anytime soon.. I dunno.. School ends tomorrow, so I might during the winter break. Hopefully we can coordinate, because i definately don't want to go and get sucky challengers.

Are there lots of ppl playing the machine? All the ppl at the arcade I play at stick to the 2d fighters, not many play VF4, which is a shame. Well.. I'm not very good I think, but I'm a fast learner, my Akira DLC is about 80 - 90% When i'm playing well if that says anything, despite not really playing virtua fighter series before 4. (I get lots of practice against the comp, haha, I think i scared away all the challengers)

4. MrWhite

Dont know the place, sorry E. As for machine standards, we dont get much players at night, so I get alot of comp practice aswell. A few guys show up, stack 2 $ and we beat each other out. Most guys play with akira, aoi, wolf, shun.. I have a tendancy towards kage | akira, but my best player is wolf, though i stopped playing with him. The place is usually busy towards 17:00 until 19:00 for most fighting games. I dont know if you know JFL? Canadian CVS2 champion? He plays occasionally aswell. He's annoying as fuck with lau | wolf. Least its not cvs2, cuz there its pointless...
    Well i hope you pass by one time and get some good competition!
    btw, i've been experimenting with kage & akira's off the wall jump kick...its so gay! But do you know any good setups with it?

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Je me rappelle Montréal!

MisterWhite, I was a good friend of JFL during my stay in Montreal (Jan-Aug) and I know he doesn't have net access so could you please tell him Mike from Australia says hi, and I'm glad to hear he's into VF4!

JFL, myself, and a bunch of others went to all the SF majors during this year together. The big event was B5 where he really made a name for himself and it was awesome to see him go so far. So you mainly play at Cote Vertu? Although I never played there, I knew most of the people from Cote Vertu, particularly the ones that came to play downtown often (Vaesna, Mao, Andre, etc) so I was wondering if I knew you by any chance?

It's a shame that I left Montreal before VF4 arrived, but I do plan on visiting again, hopefully next year.

Keep VFing!

6. MrWhite

Re: Je me rappelle Montréal!

Small world Mike! Shame you left in august, we could've met at Daniel Amusement for one of the cap vs. snk competitions. As for JFL's gameplay, I still say he's a pain in the ass. I liked arcade kid's style better. Havent seen JFL in a week or so, but Ill tell him about you.
    Ellinas, mutha..You been to Pinnochio Amusement dowtown st-catherine? Son, bring a gatorade bottle and some towels : theses muthas are good! Busting Vanessa counter 3 hit combo/grab in your face...Anyone missing a DLC there is looked upon with shame, same goes for SPoD and Fujin. Tough, tough crowd man... Whats cool is that I win as much as I loose so its the best place to be in my mind when it comes to fun. Plus you get to witness nasty moves & get advice. They have 2 VF4 machines, one Japanese, one American...Nippon one has a HUGE screen.
    Glad to see Pinnochio got their thoroughbred's back ! Pinnochio ( back then it was called Atlas ) had the original Montreal VF2 tournament in 95 I guess. They've always had the best vf players in canada back in the 90s, looks like a revival...Thats right T.O. !! You heard me ! lol ..and I'm not even gonna talk about Vancouver.

7. MrWhite

T.O. + west of the prairies

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!
    (just some friendly competition, cuz I'm jealous we dont have a montreal video highlight setup yet :)

p.s. To clear up Myke, I know Vaesna, but I dont think we know each other because I came back to MTL in late august from Boston. Shame really...

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

So Alex (ArcadeKid) is playing too? Wow, that's great to hear! I can only imagine how painful it must be to play against JFL. He's the best turtle player I've ever known! :) Say, you must be playing with BigCat too, no?

Anyway, nice to see you stir up the Canadian rivarly, heh. And I agree, there's no need to worry about Vancouver ;)

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Re: T.O. + west of the prairies

Well there's a Toronto tourney coming up on Sunday December 16....any of you guys want in? It would be great to start the inter-city rivalries once again!

Pass on the word at Pinnochio. I think BigCat knows already but I;m not sure.

cheers,

10. MrWhite

No knowledge of BigCat. And as far as Arcade Kid and JFL go, heh, ones a turtle & the other has some nasty grab sequences. Ill spread word about dec. 16 at Pin, but I know I cant come. I have graduation on the 17th. Inter-city sounds cool though, although a few cats from T.O. showed up for the Capcom trials in MTL. So I think the wheels are rolling. Also setting up for highlight reel... One more thing, where is the tourney, and the specifics...