Where do the good players play in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Ellinas, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

The competition where I play is rather pitiful, consisting of mostly button mashers, and despite playing 4 days a week for like 3 weeks at least, I haven't seen even seen 1 human akira, shun, aoi, or sarah. It's all lau, pai, or jacky. I must have like 90% overall winning percentage there. Naturally.. I'm seeking some competition, and I'm wondering.. which arcade do the good players go to?

2. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Only place I know they got a VF4 machine is "Amusement 2000" corner of crescent and st-catherine, downtown, Montreal. Some good players occasionally stop by, ( 3 of them heh ). 1 very good Jijii player in that mix aswell.
    We kept pumping in quarters to beat each other for an hour yesterday. Im guessing I've seen 6 decent players, everybody else seems to be popping their cherries...
    p.s. Im going there tonight after class like after 9 pm, i usually play there late night

3. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Well, the place i play at is in st laurent, on decarie, around the corner of decarie and cote vertu. It's around decarie hot dog if you know the place, just a bit further down. Set to 3 out of 5 rounds for vs, 50 cents. Both sticks and sets of buttons are in perfect condition (as far as i can tell). The typical player there is very funny. The lau players who get hit by 7 low punches in a row at the start of the round, one after the other (i'm not kidding, i counted 7 once) The lei fei button mashers... he's kinda like maxi in soul calibur in his randomness when played by a masher, so almost dangerous, haha. I guess i'm not surprised considering that the arcade isn't in downtown.

Well, I might stop by there sometime, but not tonight (it's 8:30 as i post this, hehe) Downtown is a bit of a trip for me to play VF4 (even tho i'm horribly addicted, despite poor challengers) I probably won't be going anytime soon.. I dunno.. School ends tomorrow, so I might during the winter break. Hopefully we can coordinate, because i definately don't want to go and get sucky challengers.

Are there lots of ppl playing the machine? All the ppl at the arcade I play at stick to the 2d fighters, not many play VF4, which is a shame. Well.. I'm not very good I think, but I'm a fast learner, my Akira DLC is about 80 - 90% When i'm playing well if that says anything, despite not really playing virtua fighter series before 4. (I get lots of practice against the comp, haha, I think i scared away all the challengers)

4. MrWhite

Dont know the place, sorry E. As for machine standards, we dont get much players at night, so I get alot of comp practice aswell. A few guys show up, stack 2 $ and we beat each other out. Most guys play with akira, aoi, wolf, shun.. I have a tendancy towards kage | akira, but my best player is wolf, though i stopped playing with him. The place is usually busy towards 17:00 until 19:00 for most fighting games. I dont know if you know JFL? Canadian CVS2 champion? He plays occasionally aswell. He's annoying as fuck with lau | wolf. Least its not cvs2, cuz there its pointless...
    Well i hope you pass by one time and get some good competition!
    btw, i've been experimenting with kage & akira's off the wall jump kick...its so gay! But do you know any good setups with it?

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Je me rappelle Montréal!

MisterWhite, I was a good friend of JFL during my stay in Montreal (Jan-Aug) and I know he doesn't have net access so could you please tell him Mike from Australia says hi, and I'm glad to hear he's into VF4!

JFL, myself, and a bunch of others went to all the SF majors during this year together. The big event was B5 where he really made a name for himself and it was awesome to see him go so far. So you mainly play at Cote Vertu? Although I never played there, I knew most of the people from Cote Vertu, particularly the ones that came to play downtown often (Vaesna, Mao, Andre, etc) so I was wondering if I knew you by any chance?

It's a shame that I left Montreal before VF4 arrived, but I do plan on visiting again, hopefully next year.

Keep VFing!

6. MrWhite

Re: Je me rappelle Montréal!

Small world Mike! Shame you left in august, we could've met at Daniel Amusement for one of the cap vs. snk competitions. As for JFL's gameplay, I still say he's a pain in the ass. I liked arcade kid's style better. Havent seen JFL in a week or so, but Ill tell him about you.
    Ellinas, mutha..You been to Pinnochio Amusement dowtown st-catherine? Son, bring a gatorade bottle and some towels : theses muthas are good! Busting Vanessa counter 3 hit combo/grab in your face...Anyone missing a DLC there is looked upon with shame, same goes for SPoD and Fujin. Tough, tough crowd man... Whats cool is that I win as much as I loose so its the best place to be in my mind when it comes to fun. Plus you get to witness nasty moves & get advice. They have 2 VF4 machines, one Japanese, one American...Nippon one has a HUGE screen.
    Glad to see Pinnochio got their thoroughbred's back ! Pinnochio ( back then it was called Atlas ) had the original Montreal VF2 tournament in 95 I guess. They've always had the best vf players in canada back in the 90s, looks like a revival...Thats right T.O. !! You heard me ! lol ..and I'm not even gonna talk about Vancouver.

7. MrWhite

T.O. + west of the prairies

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!
    (just some friendly competition, cuz I'm jealous we dont have a montreal video highlight setup yet :)

p.s. To clear up Myke, I know Vaesna, but I dont think we know each other because I came back to MTL in late august from Boston. Shame really...

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

So Alex (ArcadeKid) is playing too? Wow, that's great to hear! I can only imagine how painful it must be to play against JFL. He's the best turtle player I've ever known! :) Say, you must be playing with BigCat too, no?

Anyway, nice to see you stir up the Canadian rivarly, heh. And I agree, there's no need to worry about Vancouver ;)

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Re: T.O. + west of the prairies

Well there's a Toronto tourney coming up on Sunday December 16....any of you guys want in? It would be great to start the inter-city rivalries once again!

Pass on the word at Pinnochio. I think BigCat knows already but I;m not sure.

cheers,

10. MrWhite

No knowledge of BigCat. And as far as Arcade Kid and JFL go, heh, ones a turtle & the other has some nasty grab sequences. Ill spread word about dec. 16 at Pin, but I know I cant come. I have graduation on the 17th. Inter-city sounds cool though, although a few cats from T.O. showed up for the Capcom trials in MTL. So I think the wheels are rolling. Also setting up for highlight reel... One more thing, where is the tourney, and the specifics...