1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Which character to start with first?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by SlimTYME, Mar 28, 2003.

1. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm new to this BBS, and have just got evo on japanese import, just wanna know who's the best character to start to master first.

Any help much appreciated, I don't mind using any one, just wanna learn the 'engine' of vf and get to grips with the game (tekken 4 is gathering dust as we speak!)

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Two words for you: Training. Mode.

Pick whoever you think is a neat looking character. Watch some match replays and go from there. There's no 'best' character to learn. It's all a matter of preference.

cheers,

3. SlimTYME

Hmm, to training mode it is, thanks

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I bet he goes straight to Akira.

5. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

I have some ideas on this, but mostly I'm just bored. Take the following with a grain of salt.

Have you recently been scorned by a lovely young woman? Perhaps your current girlfriend is occasionally ornery & disagreeable. You may have the chance to exert vicarious control over her by picking one of the female characters. Beware that this makes you a despicable person and your friends may laugh at you once they figure it out. Huh William?

Do you want a character who can do just vicious things in training mode who's move inputs are sufficiently difficult to have everyone wonder why you ever thought it was a good idea to pick 'em in the first place? How about a ready made "man, I'd like to see you try modispod wtf" excuse every time you lose? Maybe you just like saying "fuck" alot. Then be like me and pick Akira.

Pick Lion and ignore the obvious.

Ever dream of being Magnum? Y'know, Tom Selleck from Magnum P.I. with those lovely hawaiian floral print shirts? Brad is your man.

Wanna flip out and kill people ALL THE TIME? Pick the ninja.

Love to be called cheap EVERY time you win? Leave it to the J-man.

Lau is pretty mean, so if you are really nice and cool and agreeable he might be what you need for balance. BigBoy & Jedi know what I'm talking about.

Heavy drinker?

Like the movie JAWS?

Familiar with the name Dusty Rhodes?

Listen to Marilyn Manson?

Pick who you wanna pick. Pick everyone & have a ball. Peace.

6. Cas

Cas Active Member

You might do better to pick a character without a lot of complex stances or moves with difficult inputs, if in your own words, you're just trying to "get to grips" with VF4.

*Thinks*. Let me give you my newbie perspective on some that might do you well.

Jacky (some people say Jacky is *designed* to help beginners get into the game)

Jeffry (he needs a good feel for the 'timing' of the game, or you'll get countered all over the place due to his slow speed. But he's great for forcing you to learn the rhythm of VF!)

Lau (fairly simple and great fun)

Lion (as used by the kinda famous 'Chibita'. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif Fast, fun and with some fairly good damage.)

Pai (very fast, quite weak on each individual hit)

Sarah (again, not too complex gameplay. But she has two major stances: Normal and Flamingo, and you really need to learn both to do well)

The others are either too tricky to control or require learning very long move lists and stance transitions.. or like Aoi, simply take a lot of work to get good damage/flow of play.

Welcome to The Game. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. SlimTYME

I've devided on Akira and Sarah, who are both enjoyable to use IMO but in different ways, Sarah:easy to use, flamingo fun, Akira: constant challenge to master such a difficult character, but one reason, elbow heaven (plus STUNS). Thanks for all the posts (and the bizarre ones). /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I think if you ask me, pick Dural. She's better than sarah and akira. Easy to win with and difficult to master. Definitely use her if you think having the best character matters more than being good at the game.

Or maybe you can start learning Nina Williams, she has reversals and can dish out good damage. Wait, is this the right game? Oops.. I forgot to read through the forums.. should have done a search first about it...
    /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Jacky_San

Jacky_San Well-Known Member

Pick Lei Fei easy to use hard to master. Or Lau [P][P][P][K] he's pretty good. And if your a deeply troubled person pick Goh.
    If you like to impress the girls pick Brad.
    And if your a massochist pick Shun or Akira.