1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yakuza 0 is probably my favorite game this gen

Discussion in 'General' started by Ali, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Or is it Sekiro ? XD

I just wanted to shine some light on how well made Yakuza 0 is. I played the first Yakuza when it released ( I had no interest in Japanese story driven games or in anything Yakuza related) but the setting and the characters were just unusually strong and different than everything back in 2005. Then the series dropped.outta my radar and I somehow tried Y3 and I just didn't like it at all when it released.

Fast forward, I somehow ended up seeing a clip of the first Majima chapter in Y0 and I just couldn't help it. It has been a while since characters had lively personalities in them and I ended up buying the game. Let me say that, I couldn't for all the right reasons put the controller. I got hooked up to the game, the settings and the characters like no other game has ever done that since the PS2/pre PS2 era.

The pace of the game was just genius, Kiryu and Majima are well established yet they somehow start from the ground in the game. Tons of encounters from older era characters.

The 3 lieutenants are amazing. Kuze's encounters were amazing till the end.

But the character that mad ethe game for.me is Sagawa.

There is a part of the game where he invites you to a street restaurant and then he makes comments on how a certain super affordable meal still tastes tons better to him than high end restaurants.

It's these moments and chats that defined the game to me..

So what happened ?
    I ended up playing the rest of the series... There are very good ones and ones that are just not as good but I think Yakuza 0 is my favorite and probably will remain so.

ChiefGutti and jimi Claymore like this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Aye! Cool!
    I've never played the Yakuza games before, not my style of game, but they look like fun. The other day, I watched that canadian youtube girl meghan yeah, play and livestream the one, where Majima is the star of the game, and he needed a phone bag, from some fat Japanese kid who wears glasses. I think she might be streaming again today. She played Judgement a few months ago and beat it.

I definitely want to play Sekiro though. That game looks sick!

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It's Sekiro ;)

4. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Sekiro yes., I'm still dealing with that big monk near Mibu Village:ROTFL:

Awesome game far deeper than it appears on the surface.

beanboy likes this.
  5. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Sekiro is definitely game of the year and is absolutely one classic that I expect will age very well and will get more peeps playing it as it ages.

No love for Yakuza around here ? o_O

beanboy likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Used to be a big fan of the series, but I think I fell out with Yakuza 3. Maybe it's more a reflection of my taste (or distaste) in all the fluff, super long cut scenes, and menial / grinding task-oriented gameplay. I just remember feeling exhausted by all the tedium that was becoming increasingly inevitable with each new title. It wasn't a game I could just pick up and play for a short burst, often requiring a long time commitment to make any meaningful progress (thanks to the long cut scenes) which is a massive obstacle to enjoyment for someone as time poor as myself. So, eventually, I just checked-out of the Yakuza series altogether.

But Sekiro, on the other hand, I could just pick up and play all day...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I absolutely understand after all 3 is probably my least favorite and I think it's the weakest.

I too don't like long cutscenes and wandering around to look for food for a dog only to look around again for more another type. I remember stopping playing Yakuza 3 when it released because of this but I returned after I played 0.

In my opinion, 0 is just much better and could be the best in the series in my opinion. It had the best fighting, more memorable dialogues and characters.

It DOES have a bit of grinding and long cutscenes but nothing compared to Y3/4.

Sekiro is genius... It has little beautiful touches that make it deeper than it looks.

I absolutely loved the world design and fell in love the moment I discovered the first headless encounter where you had to platform a bit to reach him. Video games don't do that anymore and it was such a nice touch.

The deflection mechanics are top notch... Very satisfying.

masterpo and Myke like this.
  8. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I played them all except 0. I like them all. My only criticism with Yakuza (as with VF) is that the fighting should move to be more realistic. I would love to have a Yakuza that had the same kind of hit physics that is in Sleeping Dogs.

Are you playing Judgment? If so how does it compare?

9. beanboy

For some reason, that Sekiro guy, strangely reminds me of Wolverine, and the Wolverine actor dude, Hugh Jackman.:p

10. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

It's a Yakuza with a different cast + superficial investigation gameplay. It plays great if you are jumping in with the whole investigation tools and stuff.

The story is good enough ( better than Y3-5), the mechanics are improved upon 6 and Kiwami 2 with better animation and impact.

Some great moments on story. The protagonist was the biggest surprise to me. I thought I would really hate him but turns out really well written.

I'd easily recommend it if you live Yakuza and the way it's structured but keep in mind, it's just ABSOLUTELY a Yakuza game with new cast.

11. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    kewl, I was waiting for an excuse to buy it:cool:

12. beanboy

I watched Meghan Yeah play Judgement late last year. I was surprised, that the game was really good, and was even more surprised, when I realised I had fun watching it. The game has a good story. And the fight scenes in that game, put many chinese kung fu films, and Hollywood action films to shame. But that ending tho. No spoilers.:)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    ChiefGutti likes this.
  13. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

There are a few fighting sequence and cutscenes that just had me on my feet... Very very well done... Probably the best from the studio.

Hopefully the series continue... It's really good.

ChiefGutti and beanboy like this.
  14. beanboy

Me. I'm calling it now.
    We need Yakuza and Judgement characters, for Fighters Megamix 2.
    Make it happen sega.:)

15. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I'm on Yakuza 5 right now and loving it. I'm farther along than I thought I'd be, as I was going to slooooow, since I figured I would still be on Yak 3 still, or just starting Yak 4 but I can't put it down.

Seeing the VF assets in these games has been awesome.

Concerning Yakuza 0 specifically. I love it but didn't do a huge chunk of the side missions or only went, almost half way, with them. I still need to fully upgrade Kiryu and Majima and finish the Real Estate and Cabaret missions. I didn't really get into Cabaret until Kiwami 2.

16. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Finished Yakuza 6 the other night. Now I'm all set and caught up with Kiryu saga. Still have Amon fights to do in the whole series as well as doing all the karaoke songs. Still have Judgment and Fist of the North Star to go back and finish too.

Pumped for Ichiban's saga to finally drop in the U.S. (y) Game looks absolutely bonkers!

ChiefGutti likes this.