1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

your opinions please

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by uk_kid, Dec 21, 2000.

1. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

your opinions please

looking over some old(ish) posts/threads just now, i saw a thread asking 'who's the best shun player in the world?'. jo shun,mike skupa and, in particular, NYC's nelson were all mentioned as being 'the hardest shun player to beat/i have ever seen/played against....'etc, etc.
    so, basically i'm asking everyone out there for there opinions of the best examples of the OTHER characters (any) they have ever seen/play against. i don't want to stir any arguments between different 'crews', i'm merely interested in good examples of how skilled different people are with there designated character(s). i'm interested in the best US and japanese and even any reknowned european players, past or present, VF3 or even VF2.

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

Re: your opinions please

here we go again....

i predict 50 replys.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Good Shun Players I'm aware of (in no order):

-Mutant aka Mike Scupa
    -Ghetto Shun aka Nelson
    -Jo Shun
    -Ki Nam Kwon

There's no real use in comparing any of them. I just know that they are all respected as excellent Shun players in their prime. I have no clue about VF2 Shun players or Japanese Shun players of either game. I am interested in hearing about how Shun is represented in Japan though.

-Chanchai

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

piccolo: don't be cynical
    chanchai: thanks, but i was/am interested in information about good players who use(d) OTHER characters, i.e. not shun (because good shun players were already discussed in that earlier thread i mentioned). having said that, if anyone wants to mention any other good shun players, i'm interested in that too :)

5. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Umm I think there was a thread a month or two ago where Shota was saying that MN Aoi is probably the strongest player he's fought against or something and Adam Yuki thought he was talking about Brian Mak,so if you can find that thread I'm sure it answered the topic very thoroughly :).

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

don't be cynical?!

i was just predicting how many replys you're
    gonna get by that topic. there's already a thread
    about it. no need to bring that up again. imo

uk_kid: search for it.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Yeah...I recalled that same thread too....

There's a chinese saying ' no point in comparing a person against another person...it only results in deaths'
    Roughly translated

SummErs' 'Taking in cancer cells wayyyyy too much'

8. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i've just searched for - and read many of the posts from - that thread, which (coincidentally) i started. it doesn't really contain any information i was looking for though. it is all about how brian mak was devastating with aoi, and that's about it. by the existing replies i have received in this thread, i can see i have run into a dead-end, in that no one is interested in sharing their genuine opinions of different (highly skilled) VF-ers. BTW, are brian mak and 'MN AOI' one and the same person?

9. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

no one is interested in sharing their genuine opinions of different (highly skilled) VF-ers.

Sorry have got no time to do so around this time.

Ooops...replying to the above question does not mean that I conceive myself as a highly-skilled VF-er.... *grin*

BTW, are brian mak and 'MN AOI' one and the same person?

No, they are not.

10. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

ahh...it's fun to reminisce (sp?). from my personal experience through the years, the people and events that stood out most in my mind:

favorite/best VF player overall: joji suzuki

best VF2 sarah player: jim ross (yupasawa)

best NA VF2 [jeffry] player: mason wood

best VF2/3 wolf player: doug cole (superduck)

best VF3 [jacky] player: jo shun

best VF3 aoi/sarah player: brian mak

best VF3 akira player: shang yang, sometime around 97. he really was impressive. then he turned to utter shit.

best tournament/gathering: vancouver 12/97

worst tournament/gathering: oakville 4/97

best kage player: who the fuck do you think i'm gonna say?

most irritating [lion] player: jason "if i'm not pissing you off i'm not doing my job" cha

worst smelling vf player: matt kravitz (creed) @ vancouver 12/97

best frustrated-at-VF-pissed-off-smash-the-machine flip outs: three way tie between myself, jim ross, and joji, and only for that one time when he got pissed off at my kage (oh my god!)

best hair: godeater

sexiest VF player: there's just so many to choose from, i can't possibly decide!! *cough*
    (although there were the boston vf chicks..hnnnrrrgh)

ugliest motherfucker: there's just so many to choose from, i can't possibly decide!!

11. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

thank fuck for that - someone actually being arsed to answer me!
    and funny too! i remember you (bungle) saying something in your vancouver 97 'report' about that creed guy not showering for about 4 days! what makes it funny is that you just come out and say it, regardless of whether or not he sees it. he he he.
    well it made me laugh anyway :p

12. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

sexiest VF player: there's just so many to choose from, i can't possibly decide!! *cough*
    (although there were the boston vf chicks..hnnnrrrgh)

<hr></blockquote>

You bastard! I will never forgive you for being mean to that cute Pai chick. She was soooo cute, came by every so often, every couple weeks. I'm trying to remember her name... kathy or something like that. really cute and blonde. had a "dumb jock" boyfriend who was always carrying a beer.

Anyway, so one night we're playing and she comes by and we chat a little, and her turn comes up, and you have to turn and kick her ass without even giving her a chance to really play much less give her a round. I mean, come on! this wasn't like the first time we had played her or that she was a completely dumb scrub. Gahh. I don't think we ever saw her again.

Bastard.

-Jason

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

damn Rich... explain yourself!

Reminds me of {Doomboy} relentlessly killing Yuhi (absolute beginner) while I was in Melbourne. OK, Yuhi wasn't a cute chick, but still! ;)

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

I'm not sure what you're really asking here. I think most people read your post as a request for a "best of" list, which I think serves no practical purpose. But in your last sentence you ask for "good examples of how skilled different people are with there(sic) designated character" which nobody has given.

The people who are/were considered a "master" of their character all share similar attributes anyway (ability to read and adapt to opponents, knowledge of the game and characters, technical proficiency, execution, performing under pressure, etc, etc).

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

15. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

myke: i guess you are right. i just asked because i enjoyed reading about different opinions of the best shun player in another thread, and so thought i'd ask for the same type of topic about the other characters. it doesn't matter now anyway, because: a) i guess you could say it is pointless, and b) rich gave me his opinions so at least i got a decent response from him.

16. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Why does everyone have to point this out at every possible opportunity :( the quicker I beat him the quicker I get a shot at you,plus It's not like the guy couldn't play,Mike I seem to remember him low throwing you twice in a row once :) hahahahahahahahaha he shall never get the opportunity to do the same to me and if a cute girl tried it she'd get stomped too like if I went easy on her she'd start tearing of her cloths "yeah right" (Oh man good thing I didn't go easy on Yuhi)Oh and once this girl kicked my ass at Virtual On man she worked wonders with those sticks don't try and tell me that's a turn off Mike.:)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by {Doomboy} on 12/23/00 08:13 AM.</FONT></P>

17. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

best hair?!!?!!

What about my VF2 dress sense or..or my ability
    to give up entire rounds at the drop of a quarter?!
    C'maaaahhhhhnnnnnnnn!

Now you got me thinking about the VF2 gods again.
    Mason was completely scary. he did something to
    Jeffery when he played him...made him fast and
    unbleievably powerful.

Yupa's sarah was the same (him and Mason became
    semi-regular sparring partners as I remember it).
    Quick Shun Puri, back turned dashing/crouch dashing,
    combos and super delays. True pioneer.

I think "worst tournament" comes with a tie and both
    belong to Oakville.

GE
    -'best hair'...sheesh.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't know who Brian Mak is, so no, I'm not him :)

Back when Ridgedale was still open, there was a guy named Jeff (last name Webber, I believe...) who got fairly good with a wide range of...er..."alternative" characters. He was best with Akira, if I recall, but also started playing Lion, Pai, Taka, and yes, even Shun. I guess he sticks out in my mind because nobody else in MN used those characters very often...which was a shame, really.

19. Mr. Bungle

jason has gotten on my ass about this before, but i seriously have no recollection of her and the incident. maybe i just didn't think anything of her - she wasn't the one i was referring to in my post, anyway.

20. Mr. Bungle

> What about my VF2 dress sense

i don't remember!

> I think "worst tournament" comes with a tie and both belong to Oakville.

i missed oakville 2 (as did everyone else); but after more thought, i personally think NYG2 tied oakville 1. maybe even worse.

i wanted to say colin leong and jo shun tied for VF2 godliness. i also forgot to add cody wood as best VF2 combo maniac. he seriously made akira kid look boring and old - i saw him do better combos even before i first saw the akira kid tape.

>-'best hair'...sheesh.

worst hair: rich williams

better?