1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Zero frame throw?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by tianyuan2k2, Jun 13, 2006.

1. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

I read about that in newest Arcadia. It says 0 frame throw was in VF3 and now it's back in VF5. I have never played VF3, so I am clueless about what's it all about. Could anyone explain how does it work?

2. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Which arcadia is it in? I'm checking #73 from June and I don't see it. Maybe it's in the July one?

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    tianyuan2k2 said:

I read about that in newest Arcadia. It says 0 frame throw was in VF3 and now it's back in VF5. I have never played VF3, so I am clueless about what's it all about. Could anyone explain how does it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would make things veery interesting...I wonder if the throw range required would also be like VF3.

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Alot of them seem instantaneous in the vids, but others appear to have more startup animation. The whole throw situation seems very bizarre and unclear at this point. Frame data should be very interesting in these next few months.

5. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

Here we go, from Arcadia 74:

[​IMG]

could anyone explain how does zero frame throw work back in VF3?

6. Pai_Garu

How it works is that under guaranteed throw situations, this is defined as when throws will definitely connect situationally, such as during recovery phase, in the middle of a failed dodge, standing G etc, throws will come out instantly.

There are situations when throws are not guaranteed, such as if the opponent is crouching, or attacking. Under these situations, the old throw animations will come out where you see a hand grabbing. I think right now people believe that throws take 14 frames to execute, and during the first 7 frames, it is possible to clash it with an attack.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

throws in vf1-3 didn't have execution time, meaning if you just went up to a standing opponent and pressed (x+)P+G, it was more or less instaneous (technically/arguably they had 1 frame of exe time but that's a discussion for uber technical nerds). in vf4 all throws were basically like catch throws in vf3, where they had execution and animation time. most throws in vf4 took 8 frames before you could throw someone, and you could be interrupted in that space of time, like catch throws in vf3.

when it came to blocking a move and then countering with a throw, in vf3 you needed to have +8 frames of advantage time after blocking an attack before you could counter with a throw (it was +10 in vf2 for anyone who cares and i'm sure no one does). this is basically the same as vf4 but you needed to be on your fucking toes to actually counter someone with a throw in vf3 with +8, because you couldn't buffer it in and you needed to be in range.

i hope this makes a bit of sense.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mr. Bungle said:

when it came to blocking a move and then countering with a throw, in vf3 you needed to have +8 frames of advantage time after blocking an attack before you could counter with a throw (it was +10 in vf2 for anyone who cares and i'm sure no one does). this is basically the same as vf4 but you needed to be on your fucking toes to actually counter someone with a throw in vf3 with +8, because you couldn't buffer it in and you needed to be in range.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm...

So where's the point in heaving 0 freame exe, if you need to e +8 to perform 0 frame exe throw? I can think only about counter-possibilities - 0 frame is not counterable plus opponent cannot break it on reaction... Did I miss something?

9. Pai_Garu

So as to not confuse anyone. VF5's throws are not exactly the same as VF3. So there's no point discussing the technicalities of VF3 throwing in light of VF5's system.

A simple explaination is that the game (VF5) determines whether or not the person being thrown can possibly interrupt or avoid the throw attempt by a clash or other methods, and in this case, the thrower will execute a normal throw with the grab animation.

In the case where there is no possible way for the opponent to escape the throw via methods aside from throw escaping, a zero frame throw will take place.

There is only one case where there might be a small impact on the way the game is played. When you get a move blocked that leaves you in small disadvantage, and you buffer a evade to do eteg, since the game knows an evade is guaranteed to be beaten by a throw, a zero frame throw occurs. In this situation, where you had an additional 8 frames to buffer the TE's, in vf5 you lose that window. So is eteg an even less useful defensive tech in vf5? This is obviously not a proven theory, so will have to wait and see.

10. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Well, maybe not. Let's say player A blocks player B's attack and player B is -3.

If player A immediately throws, it should be a slow throw. Since when player A presses p+g and the game checks for player B's state, he is still in recovery for 3 more frames, so he cannot be evading yet.

Now if player A waits for 4 frames to throw and player B buffers an evade, then it should be an instant throw.

11. Pai_Garu

Hmm, good point. It's hard to figure out exactly how it would work since player B may choose to do an evade attack. Anyways, details will come soon and it will be clear.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

My guess is it might just be an animation thing, and doesn't change the way you play. When the throw is guranteed, you simply do not see the arms outstretching. When the throw is not guaranteed, the arms extend and if the opponent is in a throwable state the animation then shifts to the throw.

BUT we'll see.

13. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Rough translation from my understanding of the Throw Section in the Black Book (Yanaga). So the stuff listed below may be incorrect.

Depending on the situation, the standard throws can be categorized as either 0 frame throws or "tuskami" throws. Tsukami is translated as "to grip." So bascially it is the initial grabbing motion seen when the throw misses the opponent or certain situations in VF5.

The situations in which 0 frame throw do not occur -

1. After a striking attack connect as a hit or is guarded.
    2. During a successful evade.
    3. After a successful evade.
    4. Throws attempted when a character is in a "crumbled state."
    5. Throw is escaped situation / after a throw clash.
    6. After a character rising up from down position.
    7. After an offensive move.

In those listed situations, the "tsukami" throw occurs. Since "tuskami" throws take 12 frames to execute, you can only get guarantee throws at -12 sitations in Situation 1 scenarios.

14. ElectricLeo

ElectricLeo Well-Known Member

In the case of a standing G resulting in zero frame throw, doesn't the standing G player lose his 11 frames of reaction time now? Previously, he still had some frames to press a button, which in this new version should at least result in a clash, surely? Zero frame throw on someone who is just pressing G is like robbing them of frames, isn't it? Or do we now know that zero-frame throw doesn't work on standing G opponent?

15. comoesa2

comoesa2 Well-Known Member

^if your trying to ask if you can still throw escape then yes .....i think

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I think you're asking if in a neutral situation, just standing and Guarding gives the opponent a 0-frame throw? That is what you're asking, right?

I don't think that situation gets a 0-frame throw. A neutral situation shouldn't give a 0-frame throw because for any of the 11 frames, the person who would get thrown can attack out of it. Therefore it's not registered as a guaranteed throw situation, so you don't get a 0-frame throw. That's my understanding anyways.

17. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The opponent gets a 0-frame throw if you are just standing and holding guard.

18. Pai_Garu

Or not holding guard.

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    ..and yes, the player standing guard loses their 11 frames of reaction time.

20. comoesa2

comoesa2 Well-Known Member

you can still escape right.