1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

EVO2K Site Launched

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 8, 2004.

By Myke on Apr 8, 2004 at 10:11 PM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [​IMG]

<font color="red">NEW</font>
    [*]Player Signups
    [*]See who's going

The EVO2K tournament series have officially launched their site. On it you'll find some basic information regarding the tournament, venue and other related details. Additional information and sign-ups will be forthcoming, so check back regularly and ensure you're up to date with the latest developments!

This year's EVO2K4 is gonna be huge!

Official site: http://www.evo2k.com

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Nashi
      Nashi
      Myke, the left picture in the tourney's site is from which game?? That kinda drawing resembles me hentai..
    2. _stroppa_
      _stroppa_
      soul calibur II I think.
    3. Heta_Akira
      Heta_Akira
      EVO2K Site Image

/versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif Let's just say that there are many details to see.

The game is Soul Calibur II and this picture is from the Japanese Magazine "Arcadia".
    4. DissMaster
      DissMaster
      Did anyone find their write up about VF to be a little insulting?
    5. Myke
      Myke
      [ QUOTE ]
      SgtRamrod said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

What did you find insulting about it?
    6. maddy
      maddy
      [ QUOTE ]
      SgtRamrod said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. I found it kinda well written as a matter of fact considering the fact that it's hard to explain about VF in short paragraphs.
    7. DissMaster
      DissMaster
      I think that their explanation is very simplistic. If one would define Vf as a guessing game, it is a guessing game with many different variables, not just middle hit or throw. Low hits, high hits, spacing, dealing with canned combos, reversals, recovery, baiting an opponent into throwing out an attack, then avoiding it and punishing him appropriately,and on and on. At any rate, there are way more mind games going on than the writer attempts to explain. I am not horribly angry about this; I just think that VF is rarely given its due.
    8. Myke
      Myke
      BTW, I wrote that article.

I found it hard to give proper justice to the depth in a couple of paragraphs. I just decided to highlight what I believed to be essence of VF mainly for the benefit of people who don't "get" what VF's about. I could talk about mixups, combos, canned strings, spacing, baiting, etc but these are features pretty common to just about every fighter out there. What I believe sets VF apart from the rest is the defensive game, and that, again, is necessitated by these forced 2-choice situations.

The nitaku, or two-choice game, is really the foundation around which everything is built upon IMHO, and that's what I decided to focus on.
    9. DissMaster
      DissMaster
      You really wrote that? Weird. I thought that it was written by someone who had learned of the game enough to give it an explanation, but did not like the game and therefore tried to make it seem like a simple guessing game, not the spupreme test of timing, reaction speed, prediction, and game knowledge that it is. I sympathize with anyone trying to explain VF- the most complex of games- in a couple paragraphs. Just ignore my griping here. Peace.
    10. shaboogen
      shaboogen
      the pictures on that site are the bomb, vf ones are the stand out, especially myke powah.

you da man iron /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cya
      D.S
    11. Vith_Dos
      Vith_Dos
      ROFL !

Myke, Chibita, Ohsu, and Kofu Magane's pictures are RIDICULOUSLY FUNNY!

Anyways. I'm new to the whole tournament set up thing.
      So here are questions :

A) What is bracket/player seeding?

B) It says no special commands can be mapped (burst, blah blah blah) but you can set buttons like kick and punch to other buttons. Are [P]+[K] or [K]+[G] or [K]+[P]+[G] considered special commands?

C) What is the cover charge, entry per tournament charge, etc etc

thats about it, sorry if any of these have been discussed before. And I dont believe in the search... its not real... a button to search for everything I want to know, yeah right. Some sort of fantasy creation.

Thx in advance
    12. Robyrt
      Robyrt
      A) The top players are seeded in different brackets so that they won't eliminate each other before the finals even start. Evo2K4 seeds one person in each round-robin pool of five, which also helps ensure there won't be ties (as the seeded guy will likely beat the rest). This sounds like favoritism, but it sure beats coming to a tournament and realizing that your bracket has three or four top players, then going 0-2 by default and waiting for your plane ride home.

B) Yes, P+K (etc.) are illegal to map to buttons. (Burst is just H+D in GGXX). This is a lot bigger deal in MvC2 than it is in VF (airdash button = easy infinites)

C) http://www.evo2k.com/guide/rules.php
    13. Vith_Dos
      Vith_Dos
      Thanks a lot! Bah, there goes the ability to use me pad... unless I change my style...
    14. Myke
      Myke
      Main post updated with links to Player Signups and a list of who's going.
    15. Siyko
      Siyko
      [ QUOTE ]
      Vith_Dos said:
      unless I change my style...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG world = ending
    16. Myke
      Myke
      [ QUOTE ]
      Vith_Dos said:

Thanks a lot! Bah, there goes the ability to use me pad... unless I change my style...

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to reply to this when it was first posted.

At last year's Evo the same rule applied, but it wasn't enforced simply because nobody actually had a problem with it in VF. I'm quite sure the same will apply again this year, so I wouldn't worry about it so much.

It's not like button assignments give an unfair advantage. I'll be having a more hands-on role in the running and organisation this year, but I'll run the idea by the other staff anyway to see what they think. Maybe even get the official rules ammended for VF.
    17. Vith_Dos
      Vith_Dos
      Woot that would be awesome! I would love to show Kofu Megane some Aoi pad luvin! lol .

I'm most likely gonna sign up and be there recording the VF matches and stuff. Now that I got all this capturing and dvd making equipment / programs I am going to try making a lot of VF fan stuff. Evo seems like a good place to start! Mad pad skillz to mad camcorder skillz , is there nothing Jersey can't do?
    18. GKaizerZero
      GKaizerZero
      yeah, Jersey can't seem to have any business stay open past 10 p.m.

Info about Myke from Evo2.com:
      "After extensive training with boxing kangaroos and hanging with his koala pals, can he take the grand prize this year or will he drown his loss in a refreshing bottle of Foster's with some fried kookaburra wings on the side?"

wow, i've never seen so many stereotypes packed into one sentence.
    19. Vith_Dos
      Vith_Dos
      Thats not true GKaizer, (here comes the plug), My cafe is going to be open 24/7! Poor Myke though, those kangeroos hit hard.