1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf Tactical Guide by Shiwapon

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by VolcanoShed, May 7, 2024.

1. VolcanoShed

VolcanoShed Member

Link to the original article on Shiwapon's blog: https://nantejaakuna.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/03/24/154800

Shiwapon's Youtube/Stream: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLaVUj3C3F48pWD2JozpuiQ

Shiwapon's Twitter: https://twitter.com/shiwaponkun

[This is a rough translation with the help of Google Translate and DeepL, and some edits to match english VF terms, it won't be completely accurate but I wanted to share this since this guide helped me. Additional comments are in brackets]

Wolf Tactical Guide

Beginner Level

First of all, let's lay the groundwork for throwing with small techniques.

Wolf is a professional wrestler, so his throws are extremely powerful.
    He has multiple powerful throws, so you want to be able to land them somehow, but the opponent tends to be wary and tend to crouch or lash out.

So, first of all, use small techniques to move your opponent so that they don't crouch or get violent.
    Basically, you should mainly use 3P, which is quick to generate and has a 1F advantage when you hit it [+7 on CH, +1 on crouch hit], 1P, which has a disadvantage but has derivatives [1PPP+G] that make it difficult for your opponent to take their turn, and 4K, which gives you a huge advantage [+8] if you hit their crouch.

Let's attack in the middle of these and wait for the timing to throw.

Make bold choices with throws and knees

When a 3P hits a counter hit or a 4K hits a crouching hit, you have nitaku.
    In that case, use 6K knee and powerful throws such as 41236P+G, 63214P+G, 63214789P+G and 41236987P+G to force your choice.​

Try using a half-circular that generates quickly.

Wolf has a lot of single-shot moves, and if his opponent can avoid his moves, he is likely to be at a disadvantage.
    In such a case, try using the 63214P Screw Hook.

This is a half-circular attack that occurs quickly, and if you hit it when you have an advantage, you can defeat your opponent's blows while also knocking down opponents who are evading to your back.
    It is difficult for the opponent to attack because of the derivative [63214PP], but the risk is high when crouched down due to it being a high attack.

Basically, try to stop your opponent with a single shot, and if your opponent tries to make a move, use derivative techniques to suppress them.

If your opponent evades to the belly side, use 3K to crush the opponent's belly dodge.
    If you get a counter hit here too, you can knock down.

However, this one starts a little later, so if you use it after your 3P counter hits, it will not be interrupted.​

Let's break down the opponent's fuzzy guard

For opponents who block attacks and throws with fuzzy guard, aim for low throws first.
    33P+G is very powerful, and 1P+G allows you to change position as soon as you grab it, so use either of these.

This character has a catch throw, which can also break down the opponent's fuzzy guard. Catch throws such as 9P+G and 66P+G are attractive because they cannot be throw escaped and can cause consistent damage.

It's a bit of a read, but if you can catch 46P+G, it's an option that can do a lot of damage.
    After 46P+G, Catch P+G is more powerful, and combo starting techniques such as 33P+K and 6P+K are guaranteed after the throw.
    Catch 4P+G carries the opponent far behind, and 46P is guaranteed. Aim when there is a ring or wall behind you.

Catch 6P+G gives you a chance to get behind your opponent [transitions to Change] and aim for a throw that does even more damage.
    From around the back [Change], you can use Change P+G to carry your opponent, while gaining an advantage that allows you to use big moves like 46P+K.
    Change 4P+G and Change 6P+G are both throws that can cause great damage.​

Intermediate Level

The wake-up attack is based on a strong middle attack.

When the opponent is down, it is a good time to attack their wake-up.
    First, we recommend 3K+G, which can start a combo on normal hit and will not receive a counterattack even if it is blocked.

Once you have made an impression on the opponent, a simple but powerful wake-up attack is to pile a low throw on the opponent's tech roll.

Since it tends to be a little overpowered, it is interesting to stack 43P on top of it.
    This move gives Wolf +1 even if it is blocked, and if it hits, it can start a combo or make a derivative throw.​

Aim for the opponent's low attacks

Wolf has a lot of string follow-ups that hit high, and it is easy for the opponent to hit low attacks in order to attack while crushing the derivatives.
    Therefore, let's stop a single move that has a high follow-up [G cancel the string before the high follow-up], and then add risk to the opponent's lower-stage attack with 9P+K or jump descending P.​

Let's aim for a one-shot reversal with slow P+K

Wolf has P+K.

By charging to the maximum, you will be able to remove the guard, and from there it will be difficult to recover to the point where you can almost guarantee a 6P attack. [While an opponent is staggering, 6P will crumple them]

If you land this they will lose a lot of health, so if you're facing an opponent you're not used to, try accumulating slowly and aiming for a one-shot reversal.​

Outwit your opponent with forceful choices!

Wolf has a hard time against opponents who crouches after fuzzy guarding, as they use fuzzy to dodge throws and mid attacks, and crouch under catch throws.

In such a case, take advantage of your opponent's defense without going wild, dash when you have an advantage , and then aim for your opponent's crouching position with 4K+GP+G.

This technique occurs quickly, and when it hits, you can set up a throw with three options: P+G, 4P+G, and 6P+G.

Furthermore, if this technique is blocked, a throw punish is guaranteed at -10F, but it develops quite quickly and is difficult to confirm.

Even if you are guarded, aim for your opponent's guaranteed mistakes with 62K etc.​

Recommended side attack

After evading your opponent's techniques, you have a chance to attack from the side.

The first option I would like to show you is the 4K mid kick.
    If you hit a counter hit, you will get a side crumple, allowing for further follow-up attacks.

After showing this and stopping your opponent from going wild, next time aim for a catch throw.
    Since the opponent has no choice but to crouch here, it can be paired perfectly with the middle attack.

Both have low unit prices, so if you want to show off your huge options, we recommend delay throw and delay 4K+G.

By taking the side and then delaying your throw, the opponent faces the front.
    From there, let's make a choice with throws that can cause great damage in the front and back.

Also, if you can use 4K+G strikes against opponents who crouch, you can put pressure on them.​

Advanced Level

Approach to the wall

● Opponent’s back is against the wall

When your opponent is against the wall, aim for 3P+K first.
    If you hit a wall, you will be staggered by the wall, and from there you can perform a wall combo with 46P or 4P.

If your opponent has a hardened guard, it is very powerful to break it down with throws.
    It also poses a threat to opponents who don't know how to break Catch P+G after 46P+G.

You can also aim for combos from KK on opponents who try to evade.
    ● Parallel to the wall, Wolf’s front facing the wall

With this foot position, you can aim for a wall combo with 63214PP.
    ● Parallel to the wall, Wolf’s back facing the wall

When using this foot position, if your opponent tries to evade away from the wall, you can use 3K or 3K+G to aim for a wall combo without letting them run away from the wall.
    ● Wall behind you

At this time, aim for wall stagger with 4P+G after 46P+G, and from there, use 46P to stick to the wall.
    Also, aim for a 2P+G down throw after a certain wall combo or when your opponent is prone, such as when you hit 1P+K.
    Even after this down throw, 46P is guaranteed and it is easy to stick them on the wall.

Use counter throws to deal damage to opponents who try to get through these. [Mix up with other throw directions from 46P+G, or do 3P+G instead of 2P+G when they're on the ground]

Let's make a choice from the jump

Wolf has a high attack return from jump, making it easy to use as an offensive option.
    If the jump descending P hits, the opponent will be crouched and unable to act for a while, so a low throw is guaranteed.

If the jump descending K hits, the opponent will be in a staggered state, giving you two more options. [mix up between attack and throw]

Also, if [jump descending K] hit while hardened [counterhit or recovery counterhit], it will knock down the opponent, and you can follow up with down attacks such as 3P+K.

However, if it is blocked, it is at such a disadvantage that the floating technique is confirmed, so the risk is also high.

Try to catch your opponent's attack with RAW

RAW Avenger is a P+K+G posture held by Wolf.

This is a technique that allows you to withstand your opponent's attacks while also allowing you to perform a special grab.
    After grabbing it, you have a chance to make a high-powered throw with three options.

The best time to use this technique is when you are at a slight disadvantage or when you are sideturned.
    Especially on the side, mid kicks [e.g. side kick that can side stagger] and similar moves are likely to be swung, so aim for them.​

Try back dashing

After Wolf gets throw escaped, he actually has a pretty good distance, so it's easy to make use of his back dash.
    After 6P+G or 41236P+G is throw escaped, try back dashing to 4P or 46P+K.

You may lose to middle kicks, but in that case, it's a good idea to catch your opponent's footwork with P+K+G RAW.

If your opponent is down, aim for a down attack.

This is true for all characters, but if your opponent goes down [and doesn't do fall recovery], aim for down attacks.
    Wolf's 3P+K is almost guaranteed to hit the opponent's sideways roll, so you want to score it if you see the opponent's lingering.

However, if the opponent can roll backwards it can be avoided, so in that case, aim for another down attack.​

Last edited: May 12, 2024
    erdraug, Mister, akai and 2 others like this.
  2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for doing this! All of these are amazing and will help get a lot of Wolf players to a powerful place! I will be training some Wolf players on these ^_^

Let’s bring up a new generation of Canadian Commandos!

3. Chanchai

I also want to point out the standard countermeasure against Wolf if Wolf throws the opponent behind him and attempts to do 46P to either ring them out over a short wall or wall splat them…

If the spacing is too perfect (the opponent doesn’t hit the edge, but stops just short of it), the opponent’s tech to avoid a wall splat or a ring out over short wall is to hold 2.
    • The opponent should just hold 2 (DOWN)
    • If the opponent holds 2G (DOWN+GUARD), the tech will fail because their character will attempt to turn around which will cause them to get splatted against a wall or knocked over the short wall.
    • But when the opponent holds just 2, they will stay back turned and simply crouch.

The person who taught me this tech was @PKGJimmy

4. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I like how the guide starts with 3P. I remember having a debate a decade ago with some Wolf player who insisted that 3P is not a good elbow-class move.

Chanchai likes this.
  5. Chanchai

That is an interesting debate. I imagine they were heavily valuing the knockdown potential and general damage of screwhook.

However, 3P is a very clean safe mid that forces nitaku on CH and at least gives Wolf interesting options on Crouch Hit. And 3P is a good way to deal with the 2G style of defensive play (which Shiwapon is the master of).

I imagine 3P is also less risky when it comes to whiff & evaded situations. It looks like 9 less total frames than single screw hook.

That said, good tools are good tools—it is interesting to ever think of 3P as bad (it’s actually really good), but I imagine that attitude was shaped by a lens of compare & contrast. I’m sure I would disagree there too

But nowadays I understand the game better than a decade ago too haha

Update: I have to admit that sometimes I’ve used funny language in talking about move to move comparisons. I’ve described Jeffry’s elbow as “the worst elbow” not because I thought it was a bad elbow—just that the stats (like Wolf’s 3P) are less impressive than other elbows. But this is also at risk of a great error in move evaluation. Yes, the opponent is not forced into nitaku on Crouch Hit—but the Heavy Characters have a high damage option directly against fuzzy guard (nitaku is basically the inability to fuzzy guard in a moment) in their Low Throws. But whenever I said these heavy elbows are the worse of the elbows, I really just meant “you don’t get nitaku as often as other elbows.” This was a nice moment to bring up this regret of my word choices in other discussions haha.
    (Jeffry’s elbow can be fuzzy guarded almost always, but his character design dares opponents to fuzzy guard)

Last edited: May 11, 2024