1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'General' started by Chanchai, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Are you the type of player who jacks up the brightness in-game to get an edge? Played Quake 1 on Software Rendering to nerf invisibility? Your competitive PC games are practically all white?

Turn on Colorblind Mode on BF3 (and jack the brightness up) to get that visual edge in game! Immersion bows down to competitive gaming :p

Actually, the game will more or less look the same! However, some interface elements are easier to read ^_^

So immersion is actually still fine :p So umm... Just turn on colorblind mode and try it [​IMG]

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

oh they actually put that in the patch?, cool. lots of people wanted this feature. good shit.

3. Chanchai

Yeah, the colorblind mode just tweaks some of the UI elements. However, the good news seems to be that DICE might totally let people tweak with video settings, in fact, they are planning to encourage it! Here's a link!

DICE to allow access to FXAA and SMAA Tools

A thumbs up to the very hardcore competitive players ^_^

4. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

DICE, a company that actually cares about it's userbase. Unlike Infinity Ward.

I just read on there that they are nerfing the FAMAS as well. Great news.

5. Chanchai

Yeah, it sounds like the main way they are going to nerf the Famas is by adjusting the foregrip's effect on the Famas since the conclusion seems to be that the Famas without a foregrip is actually fine--but the Famas with a foregrip is way too strong.

On a similar topic, it's been mentioned by DICE but I hope they do buff up some of the attachments to make them something worth considering. Heck, I'd like to see Underslung Rail buffed--I think it has virtually no effect on gameplay aside from the sight? I think a recent video showed that there was hardly any noticeable difference in speed gained for launching a grenade.

Here's an interesting starting point to the dialogue on how they should patch the attachments (source is BF3 Blog:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Foregrip: plans on adjusting the foregrip on a per-weapon basis, adding 34% reduction in horizontal recoil, based on the gun, and -20% “penalty to base accuracy when aimedâ€.

Bipod: a buff for the bipod is likely, since it has to be set up in order to receive the benefits (less recoil, less bullet spread)

Suppressor: added -50% “penalty to base accuracy from the hipâ€, +25% bonus to base accuracy when aimed and +10% reduced vertical recoil. Overall, Kertz points out that the suppressor will receive a minor nerf.

Heavy Barrel: increased max range (damage stays the same), +50% bonus to base accuracy when aimed, -25% penalty to base accuracy from the hip. Overall, the heavy barrel will have less recoil than currently.

Flash suppressor: Kertz points out that the flash suppressor is “underwhelming†and as a result, it’ll will receive +20% reduced vertical recoil, while getting a -20% penalty to base accuracy from the hip.</div></div>

This is only a starting point to the dialogue, not nearly an end.

P.S. One of the Community Managers for EA mentioned on the Don't Revive Me Bro Podcast how the guys at DICE are serious craftsmen (well, more like he said they were masters of their craft) and I agree--there's so much attention to detail with this (these) game and while there are kinks, they keep working at it. While some feel they listen too much to the community, it only shows how much they care.

6. AnimalStaccato

I don't get why the suppressor should have worse hip-fire given that it reduces recoil.

From a balance perspective I get it, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

7. Chanchai

I agree with you. Some thoughts on thought:

* There's game balancing, but then there's also just a drastic moving away from the intuitive. And while there's a lot of convoluted mechanics, something I like about Battlefield is that they nailed some areas so well in their system in terms of incentivizing teamwork and making some parts of it a bit more intuitive (though spot mechanics are never explained are very unintuitive for a new player).

* I personally think the suppressor is fine as it is and not overpowered by itself. I just think the other alternatives for that slot are very underwhelming compared to the benefits of the silencer. My approach is to give me a better reason to seriously think about the other attachments in that slot. Flash suppressor feels irrelevant when you have a silencer though. Even if they nerfed the silencer, I would probably still pick it over the others at this point.

That said, I would like to think that DICE is just fishing for responses since this is the start of the dialogue and not the end.

8. AnimalStaccato

Yeah considering that the suppressor makes your bullets dip at range due to the lower velocity rounds I think it's fine as it is. I have to take it off on big maps or use a sniper.

I'm looking forward to seeing the heavy barrel buffed just so that it will offer a bit more freedom in loadouts in that it could possibly bridge the gap between AR and sniper.

9. Chanchai

I'm bad at sniping but... as long as Assault Sniper doesn't become the new Sniper lol. But I love the Recon class for the equipment more than the guns anyways ^_^ Many games can be turned around with good reconnaissance (damn that word is so unintuitive to spell).

Where do you feel the place of Mortars are right now and where they should be in BF3? They haven't bothered me too much, but I do have a teammate bring them out now and then (especially on Karkand regardless of what faction I'm playing). I do feel that the hate is similar to sniper hate where people hate being killed from something out of their preferable range. Likewise they can get picked off from long range weaponry (or really gutsy aggressive play). Should they not be allowed to stand at the back of their starting zone?

Again, mortars have not ruined my life at all. Though I do find times when they are really strong tactically/strategically and people don't counter them much in pickup games at all. But I'm curious how you (and others) feel about them.

10. Chanchai

Oh look, crouch-dashing/wave-dashing is in Battlefield 3!

I've been playing a good amount of Squad Rush and Squad Deathmatch lately. Excellent modes! A bit spoiling, even.

Something I really like about these modes is that I have been learning much more in detail about how to use the various environments of the game while playing these modes. For example:

* How much advantage can be created by properly using the trees in Operation Metro (learned in Squad Deathmatch). We end up creating cover to shift where the frontlines of battle are and create defensive positions and zones. It really deals with the very open aspect of forest/park area of Metro.

* How to play hunter and using the higher ground and boulders as defenders in Caspian Border Squad Rush. I actually learned it by being the attacker on this mode.

Squad Deathmatch is actually a mode I like very much. 4 Squads of 4 fight each other on a decent sized map with 1 random vehicle thrown in the mix to fight over. It's much slower than Squad Rush, but still quite intense.

If you and your buddies can form a squad of at least 3, I highly recommend trying out Squad Rush and Squad Deathmatch!

11. AnimalStaccato

Do you win much squad deathmatch? I need some wins in that to unlock one of the guns from back to karkand.

12. Chanchai

I do on PS3 because I almost always play with a platoon. My current record is 19 matches: 14 wins, 5 losses. And I can assure you that about 3 or 4 of those losses were rounds trying to regroup my squad together or just jumping in on a lost game (so I was stuck playing with a random and what not).

That said, I'm not the biggest factor in my squad on that mode. My combat skills are merely average, maybe slightly above average--I will lose quickdraw contests 2:1 and I do have bad habits that still need correcting (they're improving but still need so much correcting). I'm a supportive player who will use various support tools like recon gadgets (usually MAV or TUGS and a good placement for remote beacon), repair tool for engineer (vehicles can be dominating in this mode), smoke grenades for assault, and even C4 for Support. My K/D Ratio sucks and it's a big factor in Squad Deathmatch, I just try to help the K/D hunters on my squad do their job better and it works well. You need at least one, ideally 2, great K/D hunters--people who play smarter tactically and will win quickdraw contests at least 2:1. But you can play the map in a lockdown way or through vehicle domination--it just goes way faster with 2 good hunters.

My 360 soldier is nowhere near ready to make much difference in a SQDM round unless we're fighting lots of pickups. But usually you find a few good people in the 16 people to a match.

Probably the most unique SQDM, without a vehicle, is Operation Metro. On this one, I highly recommend you create a sanctuary for your team with a fallen tree, mobile respawn + motion sensor of some sort, and your hunters can go hunt a bit but have sanctuary at the mini-base you create. The most recent one I played we used the park area along the shoreline near a big tree (not too far from the island). Beware of mortar strikss on your sanctuary but we had a big sanctuary and we kept our squad spread out. And of course 2 people would go out to attack and return consistently.

Tehran Highway can be pretty devastating with good vehicle control, but then you have to not hang around certain buildings too long as tempting as it is (because a team could camp behind it and try to take you out from there). If you hunt teams like that, send a soldier out to flank it.

Operation Firestorm can be pretty boring (or fun) because it's so big and open and you basically have to figure out where the kill house is since there are lots of warehouses.

Anyways, if I ever do level up my 360 soldier to a decent point and I start forming a regular playgroup on Live, I'd love to play SQ DM with you! That said, I'm not that great and I'm sure you'll get the assignment by then. But I really like this mode!

Also, I think you'll also be okay and able to finish the assignment within a day in pickup SQ DM. Just switch teams till you're on the one you think will work out best and shows some teamwork and that should be enough. There are a good amount of PUG players because of the assignment and there are often squads of 3.

Good Luck!

Update: I mentioned it before, but squad spawning is gigantic in the squad modes. This should be obvious, but not acknowledging it can kill you and your whole squad in this mode if you fall into a false sense of security. The time to redeploy seems to be shorter (not sure) as you have a smaller window to revive a teammate but it also seems like you get to redeploy on a squadmate sooner. Always be wary if there's a missing 4th enemy in a firefight. It's probably the one time on console where getting caught with your whole squad reloading at the same time might rival what PC squads probably have to be careful with lol.

13. AnimalStaccato

Those guys are called 'slayers' just FYI.

Meh, mebbe. All my FPS buddies play MW3 [​IMG] I tried SQDM with one but we couldnt get nething going.

Lol that seems a bit devious to switch to the winning team but I might do that, it would probably work.

Thanks!

14. Chanchai

On Slayers: Thanks! I didn't know that! I haven't put much focus on FPS games like this since the end of Quake 2! And there's a lot of jargon I didn't know very well. For example, when people said check your corners, I wasn't always sure what they meant (sometimes I thought it was the accepted definition of checking the corners of a room when entering, some other times I thought they meant corner strafing lol). Still learning!

On Switching Teams: Lol, usually the one that'll probably work does mean the winning team. But not always, sometimes it's just finding the team that works and you can usually tell pretty early on if your current squad is working or not. Unlike Squad Rush where the match can end in a blink of an eye, Squad Deathmatch is actually a pretty slow-paced mode. It's nothing like Team Deathmatch as far as my experience goes.

The funny thing about Battlefield is that more and more, it's like war... Sometimes you choose your battles. I almost never quit, almost all of my quits are legit server disconnects (especially frustrating when it happens while I'm with my platoon). But after one battle is over, I do reflect and make a decision whether I think I can contribute and ultimately win the next one or if I think my team just won't cut it against the enemy team (and I do admire really good enemy teams), I might decide it's time to go fight elsewhere. If I leave, it's only during the initial deployment when it's not counted as a quit.

That said, I've definitely hung in there despite fighting a really strong team. Usually because myself and some squadmates decide we want to try to break the challenge. The real "Battlefield Moments" happen in good games like that anyways ^_^

15. Kidvid711

Kidvid711 Well-Known Member

I created the VFDC Platoon on BF3. I'm on the PC version. I'm not sure if it will cross over to other platforms.

16. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Check your corners just means going into, and around, the corner sighted.

17. Chanchai

Sent an application to join ^_^

I have the PC version of the game but my computer can't handle it at the moment. Eventually I'll be playing it!

Virtua Fighter Dot Com (BF3 Platoon)

18. Chanchai

Some Random Tips ^_^

* When you spawn on your squadmate (or on an "indoor" beacon) you can actually move and turn during the time when your screen is blacked out. This is good for positioning or if you are spawning into a dangerous situation (you generally should not do this, but there are times when it might be warranted).

* When exiting a land vehicle, the direction you are facing (or have the gun pointed in) determines which side of the vehicle you exit. Want to know why you exit the tank on the wrong side and get immediately fired upon? Because you probably were shooting at your attacker and then exited right away when you should have turned the turret to the opposite side of the vehicle and then exited.

* Make use of available vehicles on the battlefield, even in contested areas. At the very least, you can stay in the vehicle as a gunner and force the other team to focus on you while you take some of them out--allowing your teammates to focus properly on the objective. The objective is always the top priority, but almost all vehicles (except the skid loader) have a use in serious situations and it's better to deny that advantage from the enemy (a common theme in these tips). Do you hate fighting against a vehicle gunner at times? If so, then you should understand why it's sometimes a good idea to jump into an open vehicle and use the gunner seat while capturing a flag or overlooking an MCOMM--even if you'll die in it. Vehicles do drive, but just about all of them have anti-enemy abilities.

* Javelin is a strong teamwork tool (but needs practice). In addition to land vehicles and laser-designated vehicles (via SOFLAM, CITI TV Station), you can also target Recon Equipment and Mortars. That said, for people who are new to Battlefield, it is a weapon that takes practice and you will not get mileage out of it for awhile. And without teammates to assist you, it can be almost useless too.

* Tanks hiding in sheds are really annoying for laser designated and heat seeking weapons.

* If your land (or sea) vehicle is being designated (laser locked) on to and you are the only one in the vehicle, you can break the lock by exiting the vehicle. You can then jump back in. That said, I highly advise you never put the vehicle in position to be taken by the enemy (I make an exception for jeeps though).

* You cannot cook grenades... However, you can hold on to them however long you want before throwing. While the grenade is still in your hand (but after you pressed the throw grenade button), press and hold the fire button. When you let go of fire, the grenade will be thrown.

* You don't always have to pilot the MAV. Often times, the best play with it is to just find a good and safe, but effective motion sensing spot for it and leave it there to act as a motion detector while you rejoin the battle. Unless it gets destroyed, you can re-pilot it at your convenience to further help the team if they need real spotting or your communication.

* Wave Dash exists on console, but takes some getting used to.

PS3: R3 (tap), R3 (tap and hold briefly), L3 (close to the time you hit the floor), X (almost the same time you press L3, this is the toughest part). You can also get up a little bit quicker from prone by pressing L3 --> X but you will telegraph your direction and location for the next split second.

360: RS (tap), RS (tap and hold briefly), LS (close to the time you hit the floor), A (almost the same time you press L3, this is the toughest part). You can also get up a little bit quicker from prone by pressing LS --> A but you will telegraph your direction and location for the next split second.

* Medikits and Ammo Boxes are also good for vehicles (well, the occupants). Tossing a medikit on the back (or anywhere) of a tank will help heal the people inside the tank if they have physical damage and it will heal engineers that repair in the back. Ammo Crates do the same thing. Tossing a medikit into a helicopter (you have to be outside of the heli to do this) also helps keep the repair and gunner teams alive longer.

* Helicopters are extra strong if they have a repair team inside. Engineers sitting on the exposed seats (not the passenger side nor the stationary guns) can repair the helicopter from inside--just aim the blowtorch at a piece of the helicopter.

* If an enemy vehicle is completely out of the battle (completely on fire and not just disabled but more or less destroyed), you can let it sit there so that it will not respawn into their deployment. Another form of vehicle denial is to steal their vehicle and either take it deep into your deployment or pilot it until death. If you're going to steal a helicopter though, I recommend you stay in it (otherwise if they knew where it was, they could parachute to it and take it back). Vehicle denial and vehicle stealing can, in the right games, create real permanent advantages.

19. Chanchai

The new Battlefield 2 Intro:

20. Chanchai

Say it with me folks: "The AMTRAC is your best friend!"

I feel like there should be a campaign to educate Battlefield 3 players that the AMTRAC is a ridiculously strong ground vehicle. It is not just a transport mobile respawn with a lot of wheels!

It is true that this thing is slow as hell, but it's also durable as hell and probably has the best gunner seat on the ground in the whole game.

"I don't see what's so special about a slow grenade launcher that I can barely control if the driver is turning like crazy."

Well, first of all that grenade launcher is amazing at getting splash kills and lots of suppression. Second, the AMTRAC has TWO WEAPONS: Grenade Launcher and a mounted Machine Gun.

You know what you can do when the grenade launcher is cooling down? You can swap to the machine gun and do a lot of precision shooting to take out infantry, and then swap back to the grenade launcher once it's cooled down! On top of that, the cooldown on the machine gun is so easy to manage, just shoot in quick bursts and you can pretty much shoot forever without stopping: "psh psh psh psh psh" <swaps to cooled down grenade launcher> "bom bom bom bom bom bom bom" and repeat!

"But what about not being able to control the AMTRAC when there's a bad driver?"

Well, ideally get a good driver. Another option is to know that at some point people that don't understand the AMTRAC (95% of the players in the game) will get tired of the slow driving and bail. I recommend training a friend to understand the AMTRAC. Even when this thing is stationary, as long as it's within sight of your target area, it's golden!

"But I'm a sitting duck, this thing will get taken out quickly"

The AMTRAC is ridiculously tough and will take a lot of rockets and more C4 than a tank can handle. Half the time a Support Guy won't do much with C4 and merely disable you while you still pound away in the gunner seat.

But there's more, the AMTRAC gives you the best repair options outside of a helicopter.

"A helicopter can be repaired from inside. What makes the AMTRAC any different from repairing a tank?"

On level land, an engineer can crawl under the AMTRAC and repair it from underneath--only having to move when the AMTRAC has been blasted by something heavy and shifted over a bit.

Also, the AMTRAC is pretty big and it gives you room to maneuver around while repairing. Practice makes perfect.

Understand that the AMTRAC is often misunderstood and there is a big benefit to having a mobile grenade spamming, machine gun wielding mobile respawn of death and destruction. Learn how to alternate between the two guns, you switch from your primary to your secondary often enough--you can do that without the reload in this thing!

But back to the original message: "AMTRAC IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!"

P.S. Yeah... I was just in a session where the team kept ignoring the AMTRAC available to us. Even after their lives was made into hell in the previous game by the enemy's correct use of the AMTRAC.