1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Box stepping and other wrist looseners

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Andramelech, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Andramelech

Andramelech Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Andramelech
    I just discovered the box step drill here the dojo, but not a lot of complete information. I'm not looking to learn crouch evade dash, or any of that stuff yet. I just want to train my hand to bust out with any combination of moves without thinking about it.

From what I understand, the box drill is:
    662448... or
    662448 over and over,
    and, I guess, it's reverse.

I saw another one called wave backdash:
    442448... and, I'd guess 662668...

are there any others? I heard of one that involved some diagonals, but haven't seen the pattern for it. I'm not really looking for techniques, but more along the lines of wrist drills.

2. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Just..drill it? Get repetitive, set little goals to keep you entertained, like doing ten boxes one way and ten the other way, alternating and going for as long as you can. More helpful is simply drilling at least a little everyday. Daily repetition of a short workout is better than the inverse.

For specific drills, you can create your own by deciding how you want to move in a real match. That's what drills should be based on, in my opinion. If you want to stairstep away in every direction, practice that. If you want to box around, do it. If you wouldn't use something like forward dash, backdash, evade, repeat, in a match, don't drill it. That's commonsense, but that's my answer to your question.

3. Andramelech

XBL:
    Andramelech
    Thank you, but that's not what I was asking for. Again, does anyone know some other step drills besides the two I mentioned?

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Just look at which dashes you can cancel and how then have fun with it, the two you mentioned and their variants are probably the most useful in FS so outside of that you're probably just practicing input speed.

Personally I like to train movements like [4][4][8][3][3] repeated or [6][6][8][1][1][G] repeated. Pretty tough to do consistently but it's a fun movement pattern, especially when you cancel them into from crouch moves.

5. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Replace standing dashes with Crouch Dashes on the ones you listed. Then mix and match. That's all there is to it really.

Do you know the priorities of the dashes?

6. Andramelech

XBL:
    Andramelech
    okay cool. I'm not sure what you mean by priorities of dashes.

These things are hard for me, but that's why I think they're needed. I play with mostly my index and thumb, and have to reorient my hand when making different moves. These exercises are showing me that I need to change the way I'm holding the stick. I'm trying to force myself to play wine glass style now. It's workable, but I have to get used to how weird it feels, and how it hurts my pinky knuckle.

With the info you guys gave me, I'll have plenty to practice. I'm kind of old, and play drums too, so I have to be careful. Thanks :D

7. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    If it hurts or you feel you have to strain yourself while playing, you're probably doing something wrong. Best to just be comfortable playing.

I practiced stepping by first getting the individual parts to come out easily:

662, 448, those kinds of motions. Then you can start putting them together. I dont really use my wrist, my thumb n fingers do all the work. Whatever works and feels comfortable is fine, forcing yourself into holding the stick a certain way isnt gonna make it easier. Its just something you need to get a hang of

8. nou

nou Well-Known Member

There WAS a dash chart in the old VF5 Wiki that still pertains to FS since movement is similar but a little faster.

Basically

Forward Dash can be cancelled into other movements off the first frame.

Back Dash is cancelled fastest with Evade.

Forward Crouch Dash is cancelled fastest with G.

Back Crouch Dash is the slowest dash in the game.

Along those lines.