1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Loyalty, Kage Power

Discussion in 'Kage' started by ice-9, Oct 27, 2004.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I forgot that the second hit was high. /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now it makes sense. -14 is still a bit harsh for no combo though.

Aoi's [6][6][P]+[K] [P] is mid, high and is -10 so the argument can still be made for that.

2. nin

nin Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I forgot that the second hit was high. /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now it makes sense. -14 is still a bit harsh for no combo though.

Aoi's [6][6][P]+[K] [P] is mid, high and is -10 so the argument can still be made for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aoi's [6][P]+[K][P] is -12 on block and it's Mid, Mid

3. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

first taka, then goh.

i agree with everything ge said. it's a good thing to have a character that breaks the rules. shun breaks a bunch of rules just by the weird movements he does. he's got drink points which no one else has. aoi can stop down attacks and counter crescents. vanessa has a takedown, goh has grappling and brad has a mix of the two. personally i dont see that many rules being followed anyway.

with taka, the easy way to balance things would be to simply give him a stagger animation that is exactly equal to a float (i.e. you can combo him from it and he would be able to block nothing from that combo but he would be able to ukemi so there is no forced knock down). that's the boring way to handle it.

the interesting way to handle it would be to play around with the properties of that stagger. for example, lau's [3][3][P]+[K] / sara's [9][K] / akira's [2_][6][P]+[K] would cause a stagger and any other hit after that would just be a regular hit (no down) with no real combo possibilities. in other words, moves that float other opponents only give you a one hit follow up on taka. that immediately gives taka a good (but not ridiculous) advantage (you should still be able to take a good 40 - 50 pts). to balance that advantage though, for other down attacks like pai's [2][K]+[G] / aki's [4][6][P]+[K] / lion's [6][K]+[G], don't allow taka to ukemi and force him to eat a pounce (or ground throw). of course this make some characters better against him and others worse, but that's true of any match up.

the point is, it wouldnt be that difficult to conceptualize a physics engine that taka could be balanced and work well within. it would be harder to implement, but i think it would be well worth it. taka would have the sweetest items ever.

as for goh and kage, i think it's generally pointless to compare "similar" moves. shang used to complain about how pai's middle kick was so much better than wolf's and i always thought that was silly. how come when wolf does a 270[6][P]+[G] he gets 80 points of damage + chance for a ground throw and goh only gets 70 with not even a ground punch? jeff only get's 65. bah, it's just silly to try and compare them.

overall goh is probably a little bit (or a good chunk) weaker than the other characters. that's not a good thing and we do need more balance. but i think just comparing one move to another is mostly unfair.

edit: i love creed!