1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dead or Alive 5 Announced for 2012! PS3 and Xbox

Discussion in 'General' started by Brisal73, Jan 8, 2010.

1. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Re: Dead or Alive 5 coming

VF >>>>>>>>>> anyting >>>>>>>>>>> DOA >>>>>>>>>> masterpo

2. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby

This is what I've tried explaining to people.

3. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

@Feck we are elitist. Its not my imagination. We (VF) is in the minority of fighting games and it happens to be the best, that's almost the defintion of elite [​IMG] I'm not ashamed of being elitist here. SC5 is fun very fun, still playin it. But visually VF looks boring compared to DOA5. @Tricky I'm with you (most of the time) on VF stages and music. When I need something a little different I venture out to Tekken or SC5. Now DOA5 will replace Tekken for me.

@Cozby, what games feel closer to VF than DOA? How so?

I know you're not referring to either Tekken of SC right?

"Apart from the controls I don't see much of a resemblance at all"

Dude listen to yourself [​IMG] the controls are one of the defining features of any fighting game. Do you know that many many noobs that choose Tekken or SC over VF do so because of the controls [​IMG] . I mean the controls are such a big deal that they can break a fighting game. Look what happened to Supremacy MMA last year.

1) The controls between VF and DOA are very similar

2) At one point they shared a fighting engine

3) Both games have resisted fireballs

4) Both games have resisted extreme juggles and combos

5) With a couple of minor exceptions both games aim for more realism than either Tekken or SC

Cozby, what are you talking about, what other fighting games feel closer to VF than DOA?

C'mon dude, don't disagree, simply to disagree [​IMG]

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

In your first post you just seemed to be bashing VF to get a rise out of us so called elitists.

You claim DoA's stages and characters are better simply because they have more going on than VF does but then you say something like this...

Simply bigger? Why not better? The stages in DoA have more going on than the boring stages in VF so they're better in your opinion right? If we're going with the kind of logic you displayed in your last post then doesn't that mean the mechanics of VF are better than DoA's because they have a lot more depth to them?

I agree with you that the controls help define a game but there's more to videogames than their control scheme, VF5's similarites with DoA5 end at the controls imo and gameplay wise they're nothing alike.

Speaking about the mechanics of a game, GG on mentioning as little as possible about DoA5's mechanics in all of your posts [​IMG]

5. Hyunster

Hyunster Well-Known Member

First of all, unlike VF and Tekken SIDESTEP DOESN'T WORK IN DOA. But but, you can sidestep in DOA, you say! You can sidestep but you can't sidestep any attack moves so it's worthless as a defensive option. I am not fully sure but I think Mortal Kombat 4 was like this.

Secondly, command throws can't be broken in DOA.

So just in these two regards, DOA is far behind in VF and Tekken in terms of defensive options, and very far from VF that distinguishes itself in complex defensive options.

Oh also, you may recognize me as the guy who used to complain constantly about the subpar character designs in VF. But DOA characters being more edgy? Most DOA characters look like sexdolls made for pedophiles. The sad part is that the makers of the game probably would not disagree.

6. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

This we already agreed on.

I don't think they did. Same hardware, maybe. Engine, probably not. Any sources to prove this?

In Dimensions, I'm pretty sure Hayabusa, Hayate and Raidou have projectiles, and Genra definitely does (he had them in 3 when you fought him).

Have you not seen combos in DOA? And I'm not just talking tag combos. VF has only just started getting proper double digit ones (ignoring the PKG combos in VF2) in R and FS.

DOA has never been that much about realism. Aside from juggles and Dural and some other stuff, VF doesn't really have that much that defies realism (except Eileen). DOA has teleporting ninjas, explosions, massive falls, demons, cloning experiments and all sorts of other nonsense that could never be classed as realistic.

Not bashing on DOA here, as I like it. I just don't think you've thought things through here.

7. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC

Aside from the control scheme the games have nothing in common.

A shared exception =/= similarity.

Fight Night has no fireballs.
    No insane juggles.
    It's realistic.

By your logic it's similar to VF.

8. Hyunster

Hyunster Well-Known Member

In the Vanila VF5 Lau combos can reach double digit hits with walls. In VF2, can't remember if it could reach double digit, but he could do at least 9-hit combo without PKG. Given that there was no damage scaling back then you were talking about close to 90% damage.

9. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Are we talking DOA5 here? because if so, thats factually incorrect stuff you wrote.

Sidestep has changed, and girls looks fairly realistic [well, more realistic than other fighters].

10. Feck

Didn't manage to find how to sidestep when we played it but from what i've read the sidestep function is useless, it just eats attacks all day.

11. MAtteoJHDY

LOL feck, try PGK 2 or 8

you can cancel charge blows with sidestep as well

12. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

Similarities of the two games actually go beyond the 3 button control scheme...

For instance, the movement in general is slightly similar in both games... You can go all over the place as fast as you can like in SC5 for example... You have ARM, but you still have to apply extra movements to either advance or retreat (both games have KBD and crouch dashing).

There are TE's in DOA... Sure there's no ETEG or MTE as in VF, but the way throws are escaped and the options available afterwards are similar. I know for a fact that if I escaped a throw in SC5, the animation is the exact same-- no variation whatsoever... In Tekken, the animation is different, but we're both at neutral and there's no real way for me to ensure that I can get at least a 1,2 (or 2,4 for some characters) to connect after throw breaking, even though my opponent's back is turned because they're too far out. There aren't any setups where if my opponent breaks this throw, he'll be close to the wall, meaning I can still apply pressure. For DOA, depending on where the opponent breaks the throw, they leave themselves open for a certain stage-specific stun (ice, water, "stage tier?" i.e.- like when they're near the edge of a cliff)...

Even now, DOA is more like VF in terms of sidestep movements. You now have to hit P+K+H and hit either up or down to sidestep accordingly. Sounds like OM to me... Yeah, they both have normal sidesteps and such, and then there are specific side manuevers such as these...

VF and DOA are generally do not have variety in combos. It's always recommended to get the max damage off of "this move" by doing "this combo". VF at one point provided those max damage combos in the game, and of course through the <insert color> books... DOA however showed them to you, by having the CPU do the combo on you when you played. Tekken and even SC have multiple ways of getting 1/2 life combos off of one specific move. I'll just say this: not counting the recent videos, when was the last time you saw a VF or DOA combo video??? How many of them are there on youtube anyway??? Things might change now with FS and DOA5 dropping because there's more variety in the combo department now...

The techrolling aspect was the same before DOA4.0

I'm pretty sure there's other things that they share, and I'm also sure Sorwah or Berzerk could school us all on the ins, outs, and in betweens of DOA and how its similar to VF... Honestly, I'm not too savvy on the DOA lingo as I used to be, but I do play the damn game, and can see what they share(d) for the most part... I think you have to at least try to learn the game first and play it well enough with an opened mind to see the similarities though... It's like trying to tie Last Blade with Samsho 'cause all you see are dudes (and chicks) with swords... Obviously there's more to it (deflect vs parry for starters), but that's some other talk for some other thread...

13. MAtteoJHDY

Guys, this is not a thread about DOA5 vs VF, cause we all know what we like best,

Its just that DOA5 might not suck as much as all the others DOAs and I am looking forward to it. I hate some aspects of DOA, but there is something cool about it that makes me want to play it...in short bursts. I didnt get SC5 because it looks crap and I know its going to be all but forgotten by the time FS drops.

What DOA5 needs is a better tutorial and some game mode that lets you learn the intricacies of its system. All the old DOAs just ask you to play to unlock costumes etc. but not a word on frames and system. I think this is going to change with 5.

14. Feck

VF5 isn't that restricted combo wise, off the top of my head from Akira's yoho we've got..

[3][3][P]> [P]> KNEE> [​IMG][4][6][P] 76 damage, this is the one you'll see most when looking at max damage combos.

[3][3][P]> [6][K][P]> [P]> [​IMG][4][6][P] 76 damage again, never see this listed anywhere.

[3][3][P]> [P]> [P]> [​IMG][4][6][P] 76 damage, probably easiest way to get max damage from yoho.

Again that's off the top of my head, there may be more and if you don't mind dropping 1 point of damage or so you can get more creative with moves like DLC and so on.

There's no harm in talking about the differences between the games Matt, apart from Po's post which started this discussion no one is shitting on either game [​IMG]

15. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

@MAtteoJHDY - I just felt to note what similarities both games had-- I'm not going for the VFvsDOA approach, that's for the other thread of course. I feel this DOA won't suck as long as Team Ninja keeps an open eye and ear to the FSD community... I think they very well might add some form of tutorial for newcomers, since this has been a trend lately, and you can't necessarily have a combo trial, unless of course they're based on guaranteed hits, or wall combos...

Team Ninja did release frame data for DOA3 or DOA4 (I can't remember which one)...

@Beligerent_Feck - I do remember seeing those combos, but they still not as much variety as say Leo's combos in T6, or Maxi's combos in SCV... I know those were the only ones that you could come up with at the moment, but just from that alone, there's not too much variety other than the combo with K+G:G. I'm looking at this from both a gameplay (inputs, etc) and a visual perspective. It would be nice if every character in VF had Dante-like ways of doing at least 30%-55% combos without the wall... As it stands, VF5FS might play like that imo, but as of now, VF5vC doesn't, unless you have someone like LeiFei, or Kage...

16. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

Feck you know I'm on record a few hundred times saying that VF is the best fighter on Earth. And that I am a fanboy so much so that it is hard to separate my life story from Lei Fei's [​IMG]

But I have recently had a change of heart about the deepness of
    Tekken, SC after playing or 2000 matches in SC and about 1500 matches in Tekken. I now thoroughly understand that both of these games are very deep in their own rights. Although I am still biased for VF. I can understand why Tekken ppl and the SC5 ppl stand by those games.

I didn't posted bigger not better because I realize that better
    truly is a matter of opinion, and bigger is more objective and can be proven. Their are ppl who can explain just why SC5 is better than VF5 and vice versa, but its a matter of opinion either way. But if we count things like system wide(for every character) offensive options and defensive options (now thats quantitative) VF wins in comparison to both Tekken and VF and DOA. So even though I personally feel VF is better, I know that it has a bigger fighting system.

The reason I'm not mentioning many DOA details yet, is that I'm just popping in and out of DOA5 and I don't know all the details. Here's why at the moment I'm playing:

Armored Core 5
    Mass Effect 2/Mass Effect 3
    UFC Undisputed 3
    Soul Calibur 5

So the DOA5 demo is kinding taking last place. However, I have noticed a weird kind of side step(if thats what you call it) stepping around an attack your character kind of rolls to the forground or background, I haven't executed it consistently enough to see exactly what defensive value it has outside of positioning.

DOA licensed Engine from VF2 back in the day

@seidon by my logic Fight night is closer to VF than both Tekken and SC. If you remember some of my long hard fought but
    lost battles with our folks, that was exactly my position. If you remember I was making the argument that one of the reasons
    VF doesn't sell as much as Tekken,SC5, or UFC is that VF is too realistic to satisfy many arcade fighting fans but not realistic enough to satisfy the combat simulator crowd.I'm playin UFC 3 heavy these days. IMO VF feels to me closer to UFC 3 that how it feels when I play Tekken 6. If you go back and look at that post, I posted proof that SEGA originally marketed VF as a "martial arts simulator" different that Tekken and MK etc. The fact that Sega originally marketed
    VF as a "Martial Arts Simulator" and UFC undisputed 3 is a "MMA combat simulator" it makes sense to me that I consider VF closer to these games than to Tekken or SC.

I play MK, SC, DOA, Tekken,Kengo, Def Jam FFNY, Def Jam ICON actually a lot. And VF just doesn't feel like these game to me. (IMO) On the other hand UFC is very complementary to VF imo. UFC has was I feel VF lacks. And VF has what I feel UFC lacks, an there is a big intersection in the middle (For me)
    so @Seidon for me UFC 3, Fight Night do feel closer. Maybe its because VF feels more like a simulator to me than the other games. But if I'm going to say which arcade fighters are closest to VF I'm gonna say DOA.

I'm tellin yall, If Sega was to change the cover of VF and make it look more "sportsy" or like it was a giant "mixed martial arts tournament" and shed the attempt to try to compete with the other arcade fighters it would sell more copies. From the point of view of visuals it fits more. UFC shows what VF would look like in the octagon. VF shows what UFC would look like outside of the octagon [​IMG] Look at like this:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
    (less realistic) Fight (more realistic)
    Realism
    <=============||=====================>
    MK SC5 TK6 DOA, VF UFC3
    SF FNC

</pre></div></div>

17. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Read that site again.

Key word is in bold.

18. neoKEN

neoKEN Well-Known Member

Blatantly similar rendering on both games. With the excessive time and cost to develop such engine on a system that is considered to be a programming nightmare as the Saturn, that rumor might as well be fact. If anything, harder to prove that it is not running on Sega's engine.

19. Feck

DoA 1 was developed for the arcade not the Saturn, right? Leading up to the first DoA games launch I read a ton of articles that stated AM2 helped out with the concept and design of DoA1 but never did I read that both games shared the same engine.

20. Hououin_Kyouma

Hououin_Kyouma Active Member

In fact, arcade doa1 was on the same engine as arcade vf2 as well as saturn doa1 was on the same engine as saturn vf2. Then there was doa1 for psone, made from scratch, and doa++ made on a psone based arcade(same as tekken3), where you play 2 characters on a kof way...