1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Drinks Vs. Damage

Discussion in 'Shun' started by WiidN1NJ4, Jul 23, 2015.

1. WiidN1NJ4

WiidN1NJ4 Member

[8][K][+][G]>[6][P][+][K]

This classic Shun move is a good example of Risk vs. Reward and Drinks vs. Damage. If your opponent blocks the launcher at the beginning you can expect retaliation. However if you connect and launch your opponent you can either build up your drinks by continuing to [6][P][+][K] or based on how the game is going, perform a linking combo to deal more damage.

Here are some examples of choosing damage instead of drinks.

[8][K][+][G][6][P][P]

Basic but effective.

[8][K][+][G] > [6][6]> [2][3][6][K][P][P]

you need 8 drinks to execute this combo just launch, dash forward while the opponent is bending then execute the combo

[8][K][+][G] > [6][6]> [6][K][K][P]

This one doesn't require any drinks but you have to dash in close to ensure connection. I use this on light/medium characters

[8][K][+][G] [4][6][P][P][P] [P][+][K]

Another variation, it's good to have options and to know which ones do the most damage. This can also lead to more craziness if you press [4] during the last [P][+][K] to get 2 more drinks and back turned SOU stance[6]

[8][K][+][G] [P] [P][P][4][P][P][+][K][+][G]

This string will have you ending up in KG stance ready to keep pressure with [P] or [K].

I rarely use this series because of the disadvantage from the launcher but it's a good starting point.

This decision of drinks vs. damage is going to be based mostly on the skill of your adversary. Speaking personally, when I face advanced players I focus more on attaining a specific drink level (usually around 12-17 or at least 6 or 8) then focusing on damage instead of trying to get 40x[DP] cause they know the 2 main rules of fighting Shun

1. Don't Let Shun Drink

2. Don't Let Shun Lie Down

That was a basic example I'd like to provide a few more examples

[6][P][+][K]

I have a strange relation to this move, I want to be able to use it more effectively but against more skilled opponents it becomes more difficult to connect. However on block it's -8 so I often find myself evading or dashing backwards due to the pushback.

Nonetheless, when you connect you are faced with the same basic decision.. drinks or damage.

For damage I usually connect with the headbutt [P] when the opponents are crumpling downward

[6][P][+][K]>[P] THEN [4][6][P][P][P]

A good option if you need some quick damage to end the round or to quickly push an opponent out of the ring

[6][P][+][K]>[P] THEN [4][3][P][+][K] [P]

Good for when you connect near a wall then the [4][3][P][+][K] could create a wall splat for another [6] [P][+][K] and 5 free drinks!!

[6][P][+][K]>[P] THEN [6][P][P]

Basic Damage Combo for your Heavies

This same theory could be applied to the hit from the following string

Here's my real world example

[P][P][P][K][4](SOU) THEN [P][+][K] [P]

One of my favorite strings to use. The beginners string with the final kick pulled which puts you into SOU stance. Then IMMEDIATELY after the pulled kick [P][+][K] deflect to deter counter attackers and the final [P] which has the same reaction as [P][+][K]. The [P] after the deflect has the added bonus of being +4 on block so you can keep the pressure on and even loop the string on beginners.

So basically it's a win/win. If you connect then you get up to 5 drinks or choose to keep attacking with your +4 advantage on block OR if your opponent tech rolls and tries to attack you then you can just headbutt [P] and you have the same options. 3 choices FTW!

This same series could be achieved by either [P][+][K] directly to SOU or by [K][+][G][4] (SOU) So you have options in how you get there.

Mixup example

[P][P][P][K][4](SOU) THEN [2][K](COUNTER)

during this string instead of going into the [P][+][K] deflect Shun performs a half circular low kick. If the low kick connects on Counter Hit, then Shun has 2 options

[6][P][+][K] 5 free drinks, it usually connects with a downed or almost downed opponent.

[6][P][P] or [4][3][P][+][K][P]

I think I've just touched on some of the basic options you have in terms of drinks versus damage. I can pull off most of my Shun game with 8 drinks. Depending on your opponent these combos could make the difference.

Drinking is an essential part of Shun's game, take every opportunity to get your drinks up, but remember damage is within range should you choose damage over drinks

-XBL:WiidN1NJ4

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Neonomide, Chill and Lulu Lulu like this.
  2. Lulu Lulu

Lulu Lulu Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lulekani
    I actually have Shun Di in my list of Characters I want to learn..... but I'm saving him for far off into the future.

I love that you took the time to put this together. (y)

3. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Nice stuff. Could you mark the damage difference here? It would elaborate things nicely.