1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Evade Cancel Throw Escape

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Lucky_GT, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna make this thread to clarify what basically replaces ETEG in FS. Some people are confused as there seems to be conflicting information on how exactly to achieve this. By using this technique you should always evade cancel your evades in FS and make them safer to attempt. It's fairly easy execution wise and very effective overall.

This is commonly used by : Me :p , Cha-Mame3, and most Japanese players. You should be able to pull up most any old match with Japanese players on Youtube and see people using this technique.

Alright, so basically in FS we can only input 1 TE at a time and can also TE while guarding by using lazy TE. To do evade cancel throw escapes (ECTE) in FS we basically combine lazy TE with evade canceling. To do ECTE your inputs should look like this in order to tech a neutral throw:

866[G](Hold), [P](Hold).
    or
    266[G](Hold), [P](Hold).

You have to hold [G] before [P], otherwise you will get a throw attempt. If done correctly, you're character should evade cancel in blocking. By using VF's lenient buffer window, you should tech the throw in it's late frames. For forward and Backward TE's, just add 4 or 6 when you hit [P]. You can also do this with a crouch dash as well, which will allow you to duck a delayed throw attempt sometimes. That would look like:

833[G](Hold), [P](Hold).
    or
    233[G](Hold), [P](Hold).

Ok, now on to the cheap (advanced) stuff. Post fuzzy guard you have options you can use that will help you defend against your opponents actions such as fuzzy crouch, fuzzy TE, fuzzy abare etc. These same followups apply after evade cancels as well making it possible to tech a throw, evade a mid and block a low full circular. To do this, you need to use ECTE and hold 2 after a few frames have passed. This is a bit more difficult execution wise but is still practical and useful. Teching a neutral throw, evading a mid and blocking a low sweep would look like:

866[G](Hold), [P](Hold), 2(3or 1 if preferred).

This works for 4 and 6 throw as well. ECTE with abare can help deal with opponents who like to sometimes delay their throw attempts in order to beat fuzzy.

EDIT : The arrow smilies don't appear to be working and are just replaced with numbers...

2. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

You ain't the only nigga to use this.. Stop ya Madness Bruh.. *Trollface* Good advice though. Lets see how many people use this....

Tricky likes this.
  3. Lucky_GT

Some of the people I thought were using this, apparently weren't. So I posted people I was 100% sure using it...like myself :D. Very few people are using that last bit though...

Tricky, SDS_Overfiend1 and Chanchai like this.
  4. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I think the last bit is not much used because it won't work in a lot of situations framewise.
    This is something I have to check but I'm pretty sure that around -6 you won't be able to block a 20 frames full circular low using the evade dash cancel low block tech.
    May be you already know at which disadvantage it stops working ?

Chanchai likes this.
  5. Lucky_GT

Yes, this won't work in certain situations frame data wise, but that will vary from character to character. It just depends on fast the characters low full circular is. Part of the reason Jacky is such a strong character is because he has the fastest low full circular coming in at 19 frames. Not only will it beat 2p at -7, it'll shut stuff like this down fairly easily.

I checked which disadvantages this would work from, but I've forgotten! Against most characters you can use this at pretty high disadvantages like -9. I probably use this at least once in every game I play. It's a pretty important part of Jean's post 66P on guard defense!

Chanchai likes this.
  6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    It's nice to have someone post this stuff. :)

Note: you can press G first and then dash, you will still get evade cancelled and are sure to block from the first possible frame. I find that also somewhat easier input to do. Like
    [8]~[G](hold)~[6][6_]+[P]

Its also possible to enter the first dash command as [6][P]+[G] and then release P for the second forward tap, but I find that hard to do and the benefits may not be worth the hassle.

ps. and no, Im not mostly bothering with this online yet for those who are looking at my replays :p

pps. To write the arrow smilies you need to use [ ] now instead of : :

Mazzic78 and Chanchai like this.
  7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The dash cancel takes a certain amount of time so is still vulnerable to fast half circulars. It's either 11 or 13 frames. Different people come up with different results, but i think the number noodals came up with here was 13f, so i'm inclinded to go with that.

Strong technique, but some characters can still hit you out of it if you evaded the wrong way. I don't think there is any reason to NOT use this though.

Chanchai likes this.
  8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the posts (GT) and the replies (everyone above)!

Your post gets to the points of using these techniques, why, and extending their applications--so very much appreciated and an excellent link I can pass on to more players in my region!

I don't consider myself on the level of the people posting above (don't consider myself bad either, just... sloppy and not as well-reasoned :p), but... I actually have been working on these techniques lately. Partly because I know ETEG is pretty much obsolete right now and my local offline metagame has been giving more incentive to use these. That and I'm more comfortable with the game.

There's the part of me that strongly prefers 866 ECTE (privately I was calling this "EDG, Evade-Dash-Guard," and implied TE was in it) overall, and then doing options after it--at least in the practical sense. So far to me, it feels like the more practical "safer" option in general situations until the mindgames escalate (unless they've already escalated--playing same opponent a lot before). At the end of the day though, I'm merely preferring it for how quick it is--thus getting me to other options sooner.

But I play Lion, and Lion really loves 833x (credit to STL Tim for pointing this out in a Lion thread a few weeks ago) when it is most viable. So many good options for Lion after 833, based on what the opponent is doing. I've only been messing with it offline and in Dojo (maybe a smidge online), but any place where 833 becomes valid, Lion can then choose to complete the defense but if he successfully evades, the world is his oyster and he's already prepared to do 336P+K when it will mC or he can just play a strong side-pressure game.

I also tend to call the 833 ECTE, "ECDG" (Evade Crouch Dash Guard, and imply a throw escape is in there). But that's what I've been calling it. ECTE sounds good, I think Chibiaya calls all variations of this "Evade-Dash-Cancel."

Anyways, thanks so much for the post GT and the excellent explanations!

As you have said, more people should be doing this! And also as I think I saw you post on Shout Box before, "we should not be seeing ETEG anymore" (well, you said it in a more personal way lol).

Cheers!

P.S. I'll keep working on it. But I still have a lot of basic stuff to fix too :p

9. Bilal

Bilal Well-Known Member

Manji, doing a regular TE here has some additional benefits too, you won't need to hold buttons like lazy-TE (hold [G] and then hold [6][P] till throw connects). Therefore, it makes it easier to move and/or attack after evade cancel as you are not forced to hold buttons for TE anymore.

Just wanted to share if someone isn't already aware of it!

Chanchai likes this.
  10. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    lol i feel like an idiot... i was already doing this lol

11. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I assumed everyone was as well. With only one TE, might as well.

12. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yeah, I wasnt sure if the throw escape still registered "around" the input like it did previously or not, or whether it only counts for as long as youre holding buttons. If the former is true, then its defo worth doing that way too..

13. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I've been inputting this like [8][6][P]+[G](release [P])[6] or [8][3][P]+[G](release [P])[3] for CD cancel, it seems to be the fastest way to get the evade cancel out but it only escapes neutral throws. Will have to look into the other inputs mentioned in this thread.

Chanchai likes this.
  14. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    This is a great thread GT and it's pretty awesome of you to take the time out and write this up in detail so everyone can grow.

I've known about this tech since day one when I stumbled upon it a few months before FS drop from one of Lettuce's YouTube videos. I guess the reason I don't use it much since FS has dropped is because I had major issues with FS movement and it took me some time to understand the system. It's funny, but I thought this tech and the tech Noodalls posted was something different which is why I asked about it a few weeks ago. After you were kind enough to explain I finally understood it was the same tech that I saw in the Lettuce video.

This tech is extremely useful, but in my opinion it's only useful against specific characters. Mainly characters like Lion, Brad or Vanessa (not full list) who have good mid / high and low circulars. Outside of specific characters I agree that it's not a tech you need to use but just a few times per match. Honestly there are a few variations of this tech that I'd rather use and have been using other than the original. I find the variations actually more impressive and way more useful. The problem for me is I have a wondering mind so I tend to lose focus and forget to implement this tech as much as possible in those -6 to -9 situations. Also maybe it's because I'm approaching 40, but my hands just can't input the way they used. I just can't step the way I want to because of bad input lol.

Anyway, I had a conversation with Adam like 3 weeks ago when he finally decided to start playing and get into FS. He asked me about this tech and whether or not I think it's the ANSWER so to speak. I told him no, because in most cases you don't really need it. A good fuzzy guard and of course the correct TE is usually enough. Despite my opinion Adam uses this tech all the time and has been using it since his return to FS. So to correct you original post that makes You, Cha-Mame and Adam who use this tech as much as possible. :p

All jokes aside really this is the second most awesome thread you have started since FS has been released. Keep up the good work man. It's greatly appreciated.

Chanchai likes this.
  15. Darksoul173

Darksoul173 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darksoul173
    Yeah Cha-mame does use this it a lot
    this is actually a well known tech that i've recently began to use it a lot

and on a sidenote Rodnutz soon will come day that ill be able to take more than 1 round from you

16. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

I have a question ive been meaning to ask cause its been bugging me for a long time. i need some confirmation on this:

ok lets say i do a simple easyTE (holg g first then hold p), when im at a huge disadvantage in which the opponent has a choice of a throw (which im trying to escape using easyTE) or a p,k. for example. You see, when the opponent decides to do p, throw......get this....my easyTE is DENIED! and im open to a throw or worse a launcher...all this time im holding p+g like an idiot, this is when i realized that my character is not actually blocking at all! The guaranteed punch made my easyTE dissapear and put me in a neutral state. the only way to defeat this would be to input ANOTHER easyTE right after his guaranteed punch. But that's a very short time to react when the guy decides to input p, throw.

what happens if the guy decides to do pp, throw?? reacting to every counter and inputing easyTE would be nuts. All this can be avoided if i simply holg G, sure i would eat a guaranteed launcher or a throw but at least i will not be a sitting duck not blocking anything. by choosing to use easyTE in this situation im forced to eat a shit lots of attacks until i start to do another easyTE.

its this cause im fucked anyways since im at a huge disadvantage? maybe this is a way to FORCE a throw when you know the other person is a throw escape yomi god.

Chanchai likes this.
  17. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Do you mean that you end up getting the throw whiff animation or worse walking forward instead of the easyTE? I haven't extensively tested this but I always assumed it was an input error on my end. Basically I needed to plink G~P later. Seems to work for the most part.

Chanchai likes this.
  18. Lucky_GT

My next thread will be about an option select relating to this that I know Rodnutz uses all the time! I actually prefer 866TE myself but have been toying around with crouch dash canceling lately. It's very strong when used with fuzzy guard if you understand how people will attempt to beat each!

@Rodnutz : I figured most people knew and understood the first part, but I just wanted to clarify just in case. The last part is the easy way to do the technique in the Arcadia article and honestly, I use it a lot more than I led on. I feel the evade cancel crouch dash is very necessary when used with fuzzy guard because a way to consistently beat it, is to throw immediately with the correct guess. At -5 or below, this will result in a whiffed throw if they used fuzzy guard. Aopai was very strong at putting you in this type of situation using this and punishing accordingly.

EDIT :

@Sudden_Death : I believe this is just an input error which is still do myself sometimes! You have to try and do the hold P as late as you can to avoid this or sometimes your character will do weird things specifically after a tech roll.

Chanchai likes this.
  19. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    Listen you dumbfucks, this is pretty much common sense in FS lazy TE system. LOL WTF is this talk about only you and japanese players do this? zzzzz get over urself

to add to your self-centered post, here's a real strat leek against low throwers,

33 fuzzy G, hold P. you can do this with regular ducking fuzzy as well.

GOOD DAY RETARDS.

20. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

thas exacly what i thinking, i though it was input error, maybe it is! who knows. and yes its the walking forward kind (when escaping forward throws ), no whiffs.

btw, i edited my post to make it a bit more clear, i added a bit more.