1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

EVO North Results

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Dan, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Courtesy of SRK forums

VF5
    1 otome AKA YOSUKE
    2 Sean Howard (IL)
    3 jesse howard (MN)
    4 Josh Ballard
    5 Scott
    5 ajay kumra (IL)
    7 AFROCOLE
    7 Adam C (IL)

While some of us might not have expected anything other than Yosuke at #1 still good job to all you guys, hope to see you all at EVO finals! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

2. syxx

syxx New Member

Didn't know there was an actual scene in IL for VF5.

I don't play the game but kinda interested in it. No PS3 yet though.

Oh ya i was there today but only to play T5DR casuals.

Thanks for being patient with us (had to kill time before I had to take someone to the airport). Much appretiated.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

No surprise, but still a very big congratulations to Yosuke! Glad to see he participated and it sounds like he had a great time (also won a KOF '98 tournament while he was at it).

WOW!!! Glad to see Jesse Howard played as well. Hope Jesse and Boyd are doing great! Still remember those guys though I met them way back in 2000.

Props to all who participated in VF5 at Evo North and also hope the VFers who were in town at the time had a blast (think they all had a private gathering).

-Chanchai

4. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Grats Sean!

5. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

here is my EVO and Yosuke roundup...

Business First - Tourney Round up

The participants was a small group as expected... and surprisingly, the St. Louis crew was not there .. Anyone know why ?
    The big surprise was seeing Jesse and Boyd from MN.. a blast from the past since we havnt seen you guys since VF3... Jesse is now with shun .... when he had our memorable flying jacky technique.

Therefore,, the from seeing the entries,, I had guessed the outcome correctly (not hard picking 1st)..

Highlights -

Prefight - Yosuke had made it his goal to not lose a single match , if possible not a single round, using his other characters of Akira and Pai. He used those two at first since he wanted to have fun and not think too much by using Jacky. He raped everyone so far with them... then -

Yosuke (pai) vs Jesse (shun) - I beleive it was a quarter final match ... Yosuke and Jesse were pretty evenly matched and it could have gone either way... and then Jesse beat Yosuke where it wasnt too close in the last round. Yosuke,, you can tell was frustrated and/or embarassed for his performance (LOL think'n how I was able to tell)... and selected Jacky .. Then the rapage began on everyone,,, and we have the 1st place story.

Best Match -
    SH_ (brad ) vs Jesse (shun) - since I knew Jesse had good experience and Sean has good skill,
    Jesse and Sean were very evenly matched so it could have gone either way. And it did, SH_ winning wiht a strong combo when he caught shun mid-move.

Players - there were a few othe players there that I didnt know... but met some new players with some potential and in need of compettition in their area. BIG PROPS to Chimera_Knight (Brandon) from Columbus, IN... You made this all possible by letting Yosuke, Jesse and I borrow your sticks.. You have a good place here in chicago.

Pleasure - Weekend Yosuke Roundup

First Yosuke is a trip... he didnt freak out with my comments at all.. and I like the fact that he like to hear and talk about ladies.... Yeah Yosuke... get u some.

Thursday :

Picked him at 10pm.. then he was a bit hungry and went for some Beefs at Portillo's (http://www.portillos.com/) ... My first experience with his eating ..... and MY GOD ,,, he scarfs $hit down... holy cow... But ,, I have a few other blue-collar japanese freinds that do the same... so it was no surprise... i just wanted to get an eating contest going.. Yosuke does eat fast, but he doesn't eat alot. He said he wanted to try different chicago $hit.. so that was my goal and easy to do for him.
    Then we headed home and traded Mixi notes (http://mixi.jp) about our freinds on there and who we can find ,,,etc.

Friday:

Woke up and lazy'd around for a few hours then went to have lunch. He had mentioned to me that he loves meat (Yes,, my first thought was maybe he can eat me )... so I asked him do you like beef, lamb, pork, man ??? what kinda meat. And he said anything besides man... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
    So we went to fogo's. (http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/chicagoIL.htm).
    He didnt eat as much as I thought he could,, but he had a good time.
    I went to drop him off at the arcade so he can meet up with the KOF crew (props to them,, they are all so cool).

Saturday:
    Yosuke had planned to spend the rest of the weekend with the KOF crew, but he felt they were too crowded in their room and told me he fell asleep on a regular chaif.. I was like " wasnt there floor space"... "Yes, but i have more room at your house and I can browse internet".. So I went to pick him and reminded him about my cuz's party at 8pm. He said "its ok,, i would like to see this party".. "OK,,, its going to be all guys and a few girls,, but i think you'll like it. We each pitch in some money for food".
    Then, it was yosuke's memorable moments... He enjoyed the Hold'em play we had there ,, but then one of the ladies came in. She was thick,, so not to Yosuke's liking,, but she had some weight up top to help her out. After dancing for my cuz,, whe put whipped cream on Yosuke's face and he couldnt get away before she forced his face to her chest.... LOL,,, I cracked up cause the look on his face was priceless... shock, amazement, disgusted, everything in one face shot.... He stayed with a napkin over his mouth the rest of the time she was ther.
    The next girl came and was pounding guys REALLY F'n Hard... by jumping on there chest ,, humping them with extreme force.. Yosuke stayed clear enough away as we were volunteering people for her action... Specially the belt spankings. "OK,, who's next ?/" ,, everyone said " Japanese guy,,, Yosuke.. Yosuke ,, come'on ,, it wont hurt "..."no ,, its ok.. im ok" and we moved on to some other poor souls... But he enjoyed himself.
    We then played pool and winded down at my house about 2am.

Sunday:
    Headed out to the tourney at noon and stayed there watching and playing VF, KOF and GG.
    left around 8pm and took him to eat Mexican food.. He hasnt had mexican in the US ,only a chipotle burritos... and the place I took'm too had burritos twice as big for $5 bucks and reallly tasty. He ordered the burritos and saw someone elses Huge plate of steak and 'chilaquiles" and wanted that instead. Obviously he couldnt finish it and but like it .. He wants to help promote the restaurant ... as I always do.
    I did have to school'm a bit on proper street manners cause we saw some people break'n into a car and he stared as we walked and loudly said ' What are they doing ?' ... I told 'm just look forward, and ask me quetly... ( we found out later they had forgotten their keys).
    In the restaurant,, it was like he was in a zoo, cause he's never really been in a restaurant full of immigrant latino's... but he was just curious and told him not to stare at anyone.

Monday:
    Woke up and lazy'd around again ,, browsed the internet , etc. Flight was tak'n off at Noon.. At 1030, Yosuke was like " I think we should get going" , "UHHH no,, you're staying here now" ,,, "why" he asked... "because you wanna stay here writing on the internet"... "OK,, but we should go" ... Rushed him to the airport.. and he's on his way to Japan..

All in all ,, Yosuke knows he is very welcomed in my house... especially since I got to see him in his sexy boxers and topless.. MEEEYOWW .... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ... He not wimpy look'n ,,, he actuallly has some meat to him.. (for those that care).. We had a great time I think because we were able to talk alot and just hangout. I didnt have a PS3 or any systems setup , and I had forwarned him about that, but he we still had a good time. And I'm glad we made a good freindship. Unfortunately though,, he did not want to go to the gay-pride parade on sunday,,, i could have hooked him up on a float if he really wanted too... but next time (right Yosuke?)
    He was worried about his behavior at my house,, but i told him to relax and dont worry about anything,,, you're cool... If you F'k something up ,, then ill beat your ass.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    He obviously is very polite and we had no issues ....and hopefully ill host him again next year... with more notice to set up some gameplay.

BTW,, didnt know he had a brother here,,, he's welcomed in my home too Yosuke.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Crap-stino

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Awesome roundup, MADrox. While we haven't had the chance to meet you, you're still one crazy dude in my book.

Sounds like you gave Yosuke a trip he'll never forget! I am also glad to hear about how Jesse played and that Boyd was there. I miss those guys! And Jesse now plays Shun. WOW!

Hope to see some of those "party" pics. I might have to pull a Reno and change my avatar if you post those pics!

Good stuff!

-Chanchai

7. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

<u>Friday Night</u>
    Very dissapointing turnout for vfers. When I reached nickel city on friday night I found no vf setups around, so I just looked and asked around for vfers that I didn't know, but no luck. I wanted to setup, but all the tv's were taken and I didn't have a chance in hell of prying anyone off. I said screw it and wait unitl the next day.

<u>Saturday Night </u>
    I woke up early and made it to nickel city when they just opened. I saw a tv opening and snagged it, but there was no power strips on the side I was on, so I asked the attendent for one, but he couldn't find it and so I was S.O.L. I looked at the far end and there sat a tv that wasn't being used, so I snagged it. However, the power outlet had one opening on the strip, so I had to find the main one to plug in the tv. On top of that it was barely staying in the socket due to lack of cable length all while sparks flying from the strip periodically. This is all going on during a tekken casual match and then trying to setup inbetween each round. I finally setup in my little corner out of the way of everyone and proceeded to enjoy 7 hours of straight vfing with new people that came up and asked to play. Most of them said that they just started and had been there for other tounrnaments, so I thought nobody was really there just for vf. Throughout our matches I noticed in the corner of my eye yosuke sitting in the distance studying everyone that played vf and not even participating in one match, what's up with that? Anyway, about the 7th hour I was told by some other people in the crowd I should get off the tv and they needed it for the tourney. I replied, "I payed my money to get in here and you have 10 other tv's to use. They just expected me to get up and leave, ok. About 30 minutes later Dark Geese a Kof tournament holder asked me to clean up since he had to and that the management said it was time to pack it up for the games not being played in the tournament (<u>Side Note</u>: Dark Geese and I spoke for close to an hour of how crappy the setup was and how he couldn't conduct his tournament. During this time I noticed many of his friends that came there for kof or other snk games just said enough was enough and so they left to go back home(I freaking wonder how much money and time they spent to get there and then having to deal with that. What a royal ass blaster!) I wondered to myself why this was not setup better for an evo qualifier?) <u>Back to being booted out:</u> I packed it up with eager players behind me and proceeded to exit the building. After putting my stuff in my friends car I went back in and to my suprise nobody was using the tv and it remained that way all night. It seemed everyone thought it was the stores ps3 and were shocked that I took my ps3 out, lmao. So here I was a vfer looking for vf players and the ones I played before had other tournaments to play, so I couldn't get in any casuals for the remainder of the night. Not only that, but after the tourney there was no way to get a setup and the tv I had previously used was still not being used, but the outlet space was gone for me to use. Later, I asked the players I had met earlier about casuals and one mentioned room 212 and the red roof inn, so I went over there and nobody was there, so I figured they were at nickel city. I went back and talked to the same guys again and they were all tied up with other games. After that, I finally got to see SH and talked to him for a little bit, but he appeared bummed about a guilty gear incident, so it seemed like he didn't want to be around anyone or play vf. As time past on through the night I gave up and played ST and to my suprise Jesse and his brother popped up and we talked while playing ST, but getting a place to play since I didn't have one at the time was a no go and getting one in the store was 0% chance. Everyone seemed to be there for many games and vf seemed to be the last one on the list from my perspective. I even bumped into madrox and syxx, but they were engrossed in a conversation and didn't seem like they wanted to get in any games. By this time, I asked myself, "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" I then talked with my friends and they wanted to burn out and go home since the tekken matches were over and they were tapped for money at this point. I was out voted since I didn't drive and decided to go home.

Congrats to the winners and I hope the rest had a goodtime on sunday. It was a pleasure meeting all the new players and I hope you guys stick with it. I hope the sponsors of evo read this and correct the inconvienences for all the future evo qualifiers or world tournaments this year. Goodluck to everyone and I hope your evo experience is a better one.

Peace^-^

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Shit. That sounds horrible. You didn't even get to enter the VF tourney? Was it on Sunday or something?

Hope things go better for you next time.

9. Stl_Tim

It was on Sunday at 3pm and everyone in the car had finished there tourney already. It's all water under the bridge now, so no biggie. I just hope this can be avoided for future vfers at evo functions.

Peace^-^

10. SaBrE

SaBrE Member

it was very unfortunate about limited byoc use. Lemme shed some light on the subject here tho. I was running all of North with DreamTR. I cant emphasize this enough, this is the MIDWEST Championships. MWC is historically known as an ARCADE tournament. It's not truly an "evo qualifier." you just happen to qualify for it if you place. all the other qualifiers are built from the ground up for EVO purposes. hence why they got hotel ball rooms, all console versions, and what not. Byoc would not have been an issue if the DR tourney wasnt running so long. 80 people in one tourney and only 4 ps3's, which soon went to 3 ps3's cuz one died, and mix it up with people that dont pay attention or take off for a while really mess with tourneys. it got so bad cuz we HAD to start cvs2 which unfortunately had to use more tv's. which really created a lot of clutter in that area. even so, even at other evo's, if you ever been to any, byoc is always terribly packed, regardless. but there are more tv's and the tv's are used for byoc only. unfortunately, we couldnt do that. and it sucks that vf5 is on a sunday, i feel you on that, but the most popular games had to be on the more convenient day, cuz, well, they bring the numbers, as you saw. unfortunately, vf doesnt, i really wish it did tho.

i woulda came to play hella vf5 casuals if i wasnt so busy with running everything. im suprised i even got 5th after being insanely tired from 16 hour days running north, i know i coulda done better tho.

either way, hopefully it doesnt stop people from coming again. we are new to running console at this event and we try to stay arcade as much as possible for historical and reputation reasons. of course vf5 cant be on arcade heh. the other evos are more suited to console casual play. mwc is not really console friendly, due to it being arcade. but hopefully, we can do something to make it better next year. we learned a lot this year

11. hardcorewolf

hardcorewolf Active Member

. . . here was my exp. at evo. I entered under the tournments under "kungfu hustle" i was the only black guy in the vf5 tourney outside of afro cole so wasnt too hard too miss plus it was like 16 people in it.

I actually lke the fact they used console versions. i hope i dont get flamed for that. I played this guy on sat. in VF5 which was i guess was you Kaminari_Oyaji. We played in the corner. But the setup for the consoles and tv's was so shitty. Some of those tv's were so bad some stages was so dark i couldnt see. We played for a min you showed me some things in the game i didnt know about. I dont own a PS3 so alli have for training is VF4 evo and we know how different that game is. i wanted to get more games in but we got kicked off for some oddball reason which sucked. I think for the tekken tournament but they never used that tv go fig. I was invited for more casuals but alas I was also in the Capcom vs Snk 2 Tournament. So I missed out on that. Didnt do well like i wanted in CvS2 so i figure i redeem myself in VF5.

Well sunday came and I arrvied with my own converter and a new controller, some PS3's were brought while i waited for the tournment cuz i was itching for some casual matches to let loose my lei fei. So I stared playing then other players started to trickle in. I was doing pretty good UNTIL I PLAYED YOUSKE! Yeesh. Never fought an opponent that hard in VF5 before. *sigh* that went well. Couldnt fight off his akira. I didnt like the out come of the tournament for me lost some really close fights. I got a few games in afterwards and played against the champ himself. And did.... . ok l got my ass handed to me so there. all in all tho i had more fun at this MWC and i wish they would be more console friendly. but thats just me and my 2 cent

Too bad there werent enough players only 16 people showed:( met a guy from indiana who played shun di he was cool and saw stino saw wasnt a total loss i guess

I really need a PS3 and VF5

12. YOSUKE

YOSUKE Well-Known Member

hm.

thanks for madrox so much, but I guess I should reply this primary one.

I don't really want to write....but it is too funny,and I can not laugh. you are pushing your thinking and view AGAIN which how VF5 is important just for you. as we know, VF5 just came out. there is NO WAY, NO WAY they can focus on playing VF5 as much as other games they are playing. you used to play VF4? you like VF5 so much? so what? vf5 is no important for them not at all. they just got interested in VF5, and they are just curious how we play because in order to know VF5 more, they would like to know how other hardcore players play.
    even most of them don't know what VF5 is

do you need an example?

I play KOF and st turbo, but there is no way they are avobe VF5 for me. if I am offered to play both VF5 and turbo or KOF, I would play VF5 of course.

I heard you changed something, but I doubt it after reading it. so... is it important that a lot of players want to play VF5 and they are there just for VF5? so ridicurous. all of us on VFDC know that the VF community is very small compared to other game communities.

if you think the number of players who can also focus on VF5 is important, no more players will get interested in VF5 in the future.

I am not selling any fighting. this is very easy answer, so I just wondered why no body pays attention to this. have you already given him up? lol

oh I almost forgot. why I did not attend the group which you guys were playing vf5 is so simple. I will never play players who lose on purpose. It was too obvious, and I could see it at a glance that you lost just 2 rounds, and killed the beginners so badly on the final round. how can we do a combo to beginners who can not take a roll???

is it a good way to play? I assume you have not changed a bit.

It is very disrespectful to lose on purpose for me,However, you may need it because....YOU, LIKE, WINNING! YAHOO!

you abandoned players in Chicago. On the other hand, I am pretty sure I made some players a little interested in VF5 by showing my skill on the tournament. in fact, dark geese is very looking forward to watching my matches at Evo final.

the ways how we can make players interested in VF5 is not only playing.

I am absolutely certain you will get mad at beginners without thinking how you lost when you lose some matches.

some KOF players and people who stayed with me were watching my matches even though they don't know VF5 anything and they had to go home. then they got a little bit interested in VF5. it is not to play yet. they will just enjoy watching, but not playing. I think it is OK.

I like watching GGXX, but I will never play it. so what? they play turbo most, and CVS2 second. they rarely play VF5. is it bad?

again. this is a very easy answer. it is up to you if you participate in a tournament. you can just watch if you want. this is one way to get interested. of course, you can go home before the tournament like you did. the tournament is for us. it is not for players who would like to watch or are not interested in VF5. if no one attend the tournament, you will be first! as long as other person holds the tournament, you don't need to worry about the number of players. According to my experience, the smaller players attend, the easier you will win.

as I talked with madrox, you are kind of wrong something from the beginning. Not everyone could come to Evo from friday through sunday as you managed. they had their own schedules, and if you know the schedule, you don't have to go. in fact, Chimera_Knight, Jasse, and someplayers came to Evo just on sunday. I was so glad chimera_knight finally had fuman opponents. I am really hoping we can play in the future like Evo final.

I am so so sorry for writing such a idiot thing on vfdc. but I could not stand it.

13. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Damn Yosuke I cant wait to see videos of you in Evo finals man. Good luck to everyone who participants.

14. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are no videos /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I do agree that the tourney was not run very well ,, and it takes good leadership to do so , either from the organizers or the venue. But with so many people and the venue,, they did just OK..
    I do wonder why they dont pick somewhere in teh city ?? if they are looking for cheap prices,, move the tourney to south chicago , where venues are comparable to Nickel city.
    I think we need more people like some of us on this board and Dark Geese, who can help run a tourney ,, not just for a game, but for a whole group of people.
    One thing they should enforce, is the 'you snooze you loose' theory.. if people are not there on time,, then they forfeit...
    They need to be alert. Good signage would help around the place,,, a good Fat magic marker would do way better than a pen.
    But I think when this stuff happens in any of our towns, we should take initiative and try to help the organizers out to make everythign smooth --- that is of course if they are open to it.

15. Stl_Tim

Some things I think that need to be pointed out.

1.Even if vf is an unpopular game they should have had at least <u>ONE</u> decent setup dedicated for each type of game on their list.

2.If they somewhat knew it would have been like that then drop the game from the list or relocate.

3.Evo or any gathering is a time to get together before and after the tournament to get games in, learn, and have goodtimes. By all means, it's not hide in the back and watch your opponent until tourney time. This imo is cut throat and shitty and displays your only out to win and not there to have fun or challenge yourself by displaying your playstyle. Oh yes, by not doing this your hurting our small community by not letting us learn from playing with whomever at evo north. If the person knows that their better than all of the rest I see no need for them to worry if they play before or after the tourney?

4.Why were supplies such as ps3's, power strips, and space such a difficult issue? I feel there was more than enough time to prepare for potenital problems before the event ever started or have staff on hand to deal with it.

5.I understand evo/mwc wasn't designed for vf or misc. games, so the fuck what. I am a regular joe paying money like anyone other person and I expect to be treated the same as any paying customer. I don't expect to be treated any different then person a or b, but from my experience the popularity of the game changed that factor.

6.I feel a tourney shouldn't be held unless there is a promoter/coordinator present for every game in the tourney. Time could have been cut down for all parties if each game had it's respective spot with information on whereabouts on players, rooms the game was being played in, times to meet, all setup from the respective coordinator. The internet does help alot with this, but in this case alot of people were either new or don't post alot, so having someone there could have helped out.

I felt after trying to get something rolling after a night and a full day and failing it was enough. Looks like I missed out on sunday, but what I wanted to get was a full weekend of vfing, so if I had to do it all over I just would have avoided going all together and spent my money going to NYC/SOCAL.

Lesson learned...

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    To Tim and Yosuke,

Gentlemen, I'm well aware of your past difficulties. They were quite public. Although it's OK to continue with unpleasant remarks at one and other, it's also OK to step back and start over again.

17. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Kam, you had a setup for 7 hours. I can understand being upset if you got no games at all.

I think I played under 30 games of VF for 3 days at Evo East and I brought my PS3. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

As Sabre pointed out, this was a MWC and not a full Evo production. Even if it was an Evo event, they only have a few setups for a game for casuals 30 minutes before the tourney. They leave players to setup their own system for whatever games in the Bring Your Own Console section. After the tourney everybody asked where to play VF and I gave them my phone # and hotel room.

I went to MWC '05 and I was lucky enough to have a VF setup on my PS2 using I believe one of Nickel City TV's for a few hours. I was asked politely to give it up due for tournament purposes and I did. I was glad I was able to get any VF games at all even though that was not my sole reason for going. I was planning to attend this year but I took to long to set it up.

It seems to me you had high expectations. I would have expected to only get some VF play on the day of the tourney. Its a video game tournament not a convention. Its a shame you couldn't stick around for the tourney but sounds like bad planning on your part relying on your friends to stick around for the whole weekend.

18. SaBrE

SaBrE Member

lemme re-iterate once again. MWC is an ARCADE, i repeat, ARCADE tourney, hence its being held in an ARCADE. the tourney is designed for arcade players in mind due to the tournament's massive history(longest running national in US fighting game history).

i dont know how someone could say the vf tournament was ran poorly? it was ran on sunday, where it wasnt that busy. we only needed 2 ps3's for the tourney. we didnt need to hunt players down. people played their matches, i mean seriously, wtf else could have been done to make it more smoother? That comment just makes no sense.

another thing about byoc, yes it did suck on saturday due to tekken being insanely large and having cvs2 start later on, clashing with tekken. I will admit, we shoulda scheduled cvs2 last that day the help avoid conflicts, but it was too late and people already had times in their heads, on when to show up.

friday night, i specifically remember damn near every TV was available for byoc the ENTIRE DAY, once again the entire day! as for power strips, yes it was initially a problem. but keep in mind that myself and dreamTR dont even live in that state at all and were not aware of it til we got there as well to set things up. we eventually got more strips on saturday. But honestly, if i was hellbent on wanting some comp, and the only thing that stopped me from getting comp was a $10 power strip, i woulda went across the street and bought one. hell, we probably would have paid you or given free entry or something for helping. yes yes i know what you are thinking "i shouldnt have to go get one." but if thats the case, then i guess comp isnt too important or something.

this is an arcade tournament first and foremost. we cant hold up the tourney for byoc. but like i said, other than like 2 or 3 tv's on friday without a power strip, all tv's were for BYOC use the whole day. saturday, yeah it sucked once cvs2 started. but i also still saw a vf5 setup the ENTIRE time in the corner. not in the best place maybe, but it was there. and then sunday, there were tv's available.

to be honest, our byoc was more accessible than evo worlds last year, and thats in a huge conference room. and they dont allow byoc on sunday, so you only get 2 days to byoc. which basically came out to the same ammount of time at north for the most part. jsut a little more scattered

plus like what was mentioned, there was people making it known that there was vf casuals going down in the hotel. and i would assume, most people that came for vf(minus me, jason cole, fubarduck and jesse howard), only came for vf, so i didnt see the need to be at the arcade waiting for a tv when you coulda been contempt in a room playing with no hassles. just speculation tho.

if youve ever been to an evo, byoc is still cramped, and tv's will be taken for an entire day cuz people will not get off due to side tourneys and stuff. you will encounter similar issues. thats how it is.

it takes a lot of time, money and resources to do all this. yes theres things that we can do better on our end for sure. but at the same time, you also coulda done things to better your time as well, which was stated above.

we want to please everyone, but its not easy.

as for moving mwc to downtown chicag o or something, its not happening. like i said, due to history, its always been at nickel city, for over a decade. this tourney is MAINLY for arcade players, and the fact its all nickels, and some games are free, its a deal maker for a lot of people. honestly, i dont know of any other arcade establishments in chicago that would fit the bill better. and if anyone says dennis' arcade, you will be shot =) but until dreamTR decides to fully go all console(which isnt anytime soon), its more than likely staying in nickel city. i do understand tho, cuz there aint shit to do or eat in northbrook. so i feel you on that.

19. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

I didnt mean it as an extreme negative comment , the fact that it was poorly run... i was meaning more towards the organization of the whole event.
    I think it can use help.. and i'm saying it can come from us, as a whole,, with the help of the organizers.
    I have helped organize city ,,(Which is why i am so anti-suburban,, that and all their uniqe ordinances)events and a couple sporting events , i.e. triathlons where i'm sure i can help make an event more successful.. hence i'm saying it is succesful for what it is,, but in comparison to Major events, it is not very well organized. I concider this a major event, mainly for gaming, that can be brought up a notch. If the organizers cannot do it alone, they can ask the gaming community for help (like what i said about just getting good signage,, that does not take much). WE are willing to help make it more successful.
    I know it does require resources,, but with limited resources, great planning and organizing, can make it better.
    Please dont get me wrong, i had fun at the event and appreciate everthing there. But like you stated, we do have lots of room for improvement.

With the BYOC item.. there should just be some setup designated for that. No matter what.. I'm not saying like 5 tv's or anything.. but 2 setups ,, almost like warmup stations. I know not ideal, but it is a thought, and something we as a community , cna help out with.

As far as the venue, I totally agree, the bargain and entertainment value at Nickel city cannot be matched. NO Chicago arcade can compete (if there are anymore worth going to in the city). But we can change the course of things and make the event the star instead fo the arcade the star. Obviously , im being selfish here, and i have no problem going to nickel city, its jsut an idea for change of venue. thats all it is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As far as an Arcade tourney ... then why not make everyoen play on stick ? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ,, I'd love to see that rule enforced LOL... just a quick kidding jab at pad players

20. hardcorewolf

hardcorewolf Active Member

well. . i thought the tournament went smoothly IMHO kudos to the staff

um. . hmm i never lose on purpose, espdically to boost my ego. I take my losses and and learn from them. I might bitch sometimes but i try to take those losses and learn from them to get better. The "beginners" that played me and were winning agaiant me did so on there own skill. I never held back against any opponent.

also im not a hardcore tournament player but i do like to compete and see where i stand against other players. I went to evo north to compete in 2 games i felt i was best at VF5 and CvS2. I like those games and i want to compete in them. Thats just me.

I see nothing wrong about makeing observations im pretty sure i made mistakes when i played and i can take the critisms. So if someone told me "yeah you should have done blah blah blah" in that match thats cool w/ me im there to learn to get better. I only have a hand full of people to play against in the game myself and I know how they play and some havent played as long as i have (since pt 4). If certain parties took offense to my observations im sorry. However i didnt walk in like i was flawless either. My last match i made a lot of mistakes, and lost but hey thats how it is sometimes.

Also i talked to a player and we traded info i gave im a little advice and he gave me some info on a character he was using and other stuff. I was a little disappointed that the turnout was low but i wasnt upset over it. I mean I KNOW VF is not the most popular game in the US.

I wanted to play some casual matches. I did want to play with a top players AND other players who competed to gauge where i am, what i need to learn and what i need to work on. And i dont believe winning is everything either. And lastly i live in the south suburbs and its a hard to get to Northbrook without a car on the weekends. So its not a picnic getting out there.

everybody have a good and safe july 4th