1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

FT in Toronto -- some thoughts

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by kbcat, Aug 15, 2004.

1. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Well FT has finally hit TO and I managed to get some play time in against the CPU and in good old-fashioned VS play yesterday. So here are some thoughts -- I'll try not to go over stuff that has already been said. But, I do have to say that kage's DP'o'Doom (DPoD?) has very tight timing nobody was able to actually complete the whole combo.

General:
    - SRCs are very difficult to observe and react to at the moment. It's more like "that hit seemed wierd" or "damn they floated high that time". Unless of course it's a move that has special properties on SRC like Jeff's [2]+[K]+[G].

Lion:
    - no trouble with any of his old combos -- they seem to work just fine.
    - [3][3]+[P]+[K]: is some sort of mid poke/swipe thing that seems to be uncounterable (maybe throw counterable) and best of all it causes a stomache kuzure on YC+, for a free [6][6]+[K][K].
    - His dance after [4]+[K] or [6]+[K] is neat but difficult to use against very aggressive oponents since they will clobber you out of the dance. I think it sabaki's some stuff but I'm not sure what yet.
    - The [K] follow up to the dance causes that Wolf "knee in the crotch" kuzure on RC+, for a free [6][6]+[K][K].
    - The second [P] of the [P][P] follow up to dance causes that "standing stagger" -- the I've been hit in the face kind of thing. But it's not as pronounced as lion's [3]+[P]+[K], and unfortunately it seems that lion winds up too far away to do anything with it -- it keeps the advantage though.
    - The [P] of [4]+[K][P] causes the same face standing stagger as mentioned above -- the only difference is that lion is close enough to play the the throw-attack mindgames.
    - His new [4][3]+[P]+[G] throw seems to only guarrantee a sidekick followup.
    - The most interesting change to lion is his [P]+[K]+[G] and [2]+[P]+[K]+[G] parries -- I call them parries becuse there really is nothing similar to them. If anything they are similar to Pai's inashis in VF3. When lion parries an attack the attacker continues on as if nothing had happened. In fact lion actually get hits by the attack (there is a very pronounced hit spark), but takes no damage. If the parry is successful lion gets to make a big dodge into our out of the screen. I'm not quite sure what it parries yet -- [P]+[K]+[G] appears to parry high/mid punches (I've successfully parried a single palm). and [2]+[P]+[K]+[G] just low punches.
    - I had a sneaking suspicion that they had made Lion's (catch throw)[P][P][P] easier to do, since I had seen it in a few videos. But, they haven't /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif Why do they make that move so difficult for so little pay off?

Brad:
    - I've mentioned some brad stuff already in other threads but...
    - He floats/slams as he used to and I had no trouble with the old combos.
    - The neck catch "catch" animation is different and much faster hence Brad does miss the catch as much (at all?).
    - His sidekick animation has been changed -- I don't think it looks as good.
    - His [2_][4]+[K] animation has been changed to resemble more a side kick instead of the big sweeping kick it used to be. The range and uses are similar except that the new animation prevents Brad from hitting on the ground or low floaters with it now.
    - The slipping stomach rush (slipping)[P]+[K] is, as people have noted before, very useful and hard for someone to deal with unless they either reverse it or dodge the right direction.
    - [P][P][P][K] appears to be only throw counterable.
    - I have trouble getting (sway)[P]+[K][P][K][3]+[K] out -- I find I have to really pay attention to the first kick and time my [3]+[K] on that. I don't think you can just enter it all in and have it come out.
    - Brad has definitely been powered up.

Goh:
    - I have to agree his [P][K] to backturned is virtually useless. He has an awful selection of backturned moves and the throw hardly makes up for it.
    - The Goh-SPoD is quite easy to do given 5 minutes of practice but that first punch is so slow that it is difficult to land it in combat. I found that doing safe move then going [4][4][6]+[P]+[K]+[G] was the easiest way to land it.
    - Goh's roll, just screams "kick my ass" since he doesn't have any moves coming out of the roll.
    - Verdict, what was sega thinking? Sure he's a bit better -- but only beacuse they agve him that new [6][6]+[K]

Jacky:
    - Jacky's "JF" shuffle step stuff is very easy to do, just buffer in [4][3][3][K] as fast as you can in the recovery of the shuffle step initiator that you are using (i.e. [K]+[G] - [4][3][3][K] as fast as possible - [P]+[G] when the [K] hits). This makes jacky a real pain in the ass now because even if you anticipate that the Jacky will shuffle you not sure if you should try and punish it or not. Since that hit throw does a considerable amount of damage.

Jeff:
    - While jeff has a bunch of new stuff he doesn't seems significantly different. The real addition to jeff is the throw out of threat stance. Llan was clobbering people with it when they would try and dodge or block the traditional threat stance follow-ups.
    - the air throw is neat but doesn't do enough damage to use regularly - I think it will be reserved for situations where jeff can air throw someone into a wall.

Well I think that's it for now -- more later
    kbcat -- forgive the typos

2. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    - His [2][4]+[K] animation has been changed to resemble more a side kick instead of the big sweeping kick it used to be. The range and uses are similar except that the new animation prevents Brad from hitting on the ground or low floaters with it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there's one important difference; it seems to stagger crouchers (can that be confirmed?). Also seems to have less recoverytime etc imo.

/KiwE

3. O_o

O_o Active Member

ft? toronto? where where?

4. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Seek and you shall find.

You'll discover a thread in the Jamboree section that is dedicated to Toronto VF...aka [TEA PARTY].

VF4 FT is at Metro Square...directions in the [TEA PARTY] thread. So, head over to that thread and introduce yourself and come on out...new blood is always most welcome.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

5. O_o

O_o Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Llanfair said:

Seek and you shall find.

You'll discover a thread in the Jamboree section that is dedicated to Toronto VF...aka [TEA PARTY].

VF4 FT is at Metro Square...directions in the [TEA PARTY] thread. So, head over to that thread and introduce yourself and come on out...new blood is always most welcome.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

well i'll be damed o_O

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yep, and yep. It could just be me, but the range feels longer too.