1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to learn NEW CHARACTER (Character TEMPLATE)

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by SUGATA, Aug 9, 2013.

1. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    VF5FS has 19 characters.
    I learning a character... Character has many aspects of learning:
    - command list of different moves with different range/properties
    - new frame data
    - new exclusive features
    - new combos
    - new scripts
    - ...and so on.

Every time when you begin to learn a new character - you decide what learning first, what second, what is the most needed, what is not...

OUR TARGET: to make a step-to-step UNIVERSAL ALGORITHM (TEMPLATE) of how to learn a new character to its fullness.
    Why:
    - its more complex character learning
    - its more effective, higher coefficient of efficiency
    - its more fast and methodical character learning.

Guys, lets make together a Template for learning new character >>> and then lets make a complex topics (constituted filled templates) for EVERY character based on this template.

beanboy and MakiLeSushi like this.
  2. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    Here is my working-in-progress Universal template for VF5FS characters:

I. Moves’ Range & Priority & Crushers:
    In VF – NO useless moves, they ALL are useful, just some – more wider variety of usage, others – more specific/unique usage. PRIORITY – is a frequency of usage; High – more often usage, Low – more rare usage. ALWAYS, ask myself why and when this Move is needed!

1) Long range:
    a) High priority: 1… 2… 3…

b) Mid Priority

c) Low priority

2) Mid range: ….

3) Close range: ….

4) High crush moves:

5) Mid crush moves:

6) Low crush moves:

II. Framedata:
    Excel with:
    - color markers (categories)
    - instead of Tot – write Recovery ( = Tot – Exe – Hit).

III. Combos:

IV. Execution moves roster:
    11F: P

12F: 2P

13F: 44P

14F: 46P; 3P …

VI. Follow-ups:
    +8:
    1) against AGGRESSIVE opponent “Masher”: (High attacks)
    1. 100%, 2. By 1F slower move (less %).
    2) against MORE DEFENSIVE opponent “Fuzzy Croucher or Low spammer”: (Mid attacks)
    3) against DEFENSIVE opponent “ETEG or Guarding”: (Throws, Guard breakers)

0:

-1:

After SPECIFIC MOVES:
    4P+K+G: 1. 25F 2. [15F]46P; 3P 3. Throw.

VII. Round Starters (RSs):
    1) Opponent with strong RS (Defensive):

2) Opponent rush on me:

3) Opponent rush in with High string or Throw:

4) Opponent rush in with Low string or Throw:

5) Opponent use Slow strike (>18F):

6) Opponent use Defensive RS aka Safe retreat:

7) Opponent rush in with very Slow strike (>27F) or Throw:

VIII. Okizeme:
    1) Stand up with Rising Attack (Mid or Low):

2) Stand up with Guard:

3) Ukemi:

IX. Option Select mix-ups:

X. Scripts:
    1) against 2P:

2) Follow-ups from unique Stance:

3) Poking (poke game, safest tactic):

4) Anti-Evade:

5) Provocation bait:

nou and MakiLeSushi like this.
  3. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
  4. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    Post to an old thread, but when relearning some old characters I created a simple system for myself to filter & remember all the characters important options that feels like as close as you can get to a template to systematically learning characters.

Going through the moves I filtered out a few often reoccurring situations and categorized the moves of various characters to fit those situations. Looking at Cozby's link, it is actually quite close to what was described on Tekken Zaibatsu:

1. Offensive tools
    These are tools you will be using when you're taking the offense. This happens after guarding a safe attack or connecting a move on guard, hit or counter-hit to create a situations where you have frame advantage. In this situation your opponent will be thinking about his defensive options: abare, guard, crouch, fuzzy, evade, sabaki, reversal.
    In this list I put attacks that are quick, close of one or multiple of these defensive options and give a positive reward when you guess correctly. Because of that circular and half-circular moves are also categorized as offensive moves because you'll often use them to "close off" their evading defensive options.

When:
    * after guarding a safe attack,
    * after connecting an attack with the opponent that leaves you at an advantage.

2. Ranged tools
    These are used in spacing situations. When both players are dashing back and forth and seeing what the other may or may not commit to, these are the moves you will be using here. They are often longer range, have slower start-up (because at range, the start-up is less important as you are not playing the "frame-game" and give rewards on normal hit.

When:
    * when both players are far enough apart that quick attacks will miss.

3. Punishment
    These moves are used to punish a player for doing an unsafe move or whiff a move just in front of you. Often these moves have high risks when guarded, but by only using them in punishment situations, you will benefit only the rewards. The rewards often leave the opponent knocked down or in a juggle state after normal hit (or minor counter hit.)

When:
    * after guarding or evading an attack that leaves the player open to a free attack.

4. Defensive tools
    These tools expand your characters options when in a disadvantage situation. Besides the basic system tools each character has (abare, guard, crouch, fuzzy, evade, back-dash) each character will have one or multiple moves that expand their defensive options and force the attacker to think more about how they can attack. Defensive tools are moves that can sabaki, reverse or crush highs or lows or are extremely fast, increasing the chance to abare. They often give reward in counter-hit or evade the opponents move and punish them on their recovery.

When:
    * after your attack has been guarded, but you are safe.
    * after they have used a move that gives them advantage.

5. Side
    As the side-game is a totally different beast for some characters, a section to cover moves that give extra rewards when hitting them in a side situation.

When:
    * after evading a move late or evading a move that recovers quickly.

6. Wall
    Some moves's risk/reward potential totally changes up at the wall making moves that are normal/uninteresting to use normally, suddenly perfect to use at the wall.

When: when your opponent (or sometimes even you) have their back against the wall. Special note for moves that only connect when you are at an angle because they knock you sideways.
    --

Using this system has allowed me to quickly look into a character, filter out the info I want/need to know so I know how to play with/against him and then after a playsession I would revisit this and add some information.

For example: when learning el blaze, for my first play session I only looked at his offensive tools. I didn't even use any of the other ones so I could focus on learning. Later I took one or possibly 2 of these categories into my game and try to add them where I felt after the playsession I needed more tools/information.
    The other way around too: I met a guy who plays brad and I have no idea how to play him: by organizing his moves like this, first I checked his offensive tools to understand his advantage/disadvantage and played against him, for the second game I added more info based on how I lost to him.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  5. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    added a 6th chapter on the wallgame