1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jean Q and A

Discussion in 'Jean' started by Izuna_Shoryuken, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

Ask each other about stuff and things here.

2. ikari263

ikari263 New Member

any anti vanessa strats would be greatly appreciated. also I cant seem to break her throws after i get tackled by her? are they still breakable or has the timing changed?

3. StickyStaines

StickyStaines Member

So whats the deal with 66P and it's post-counter hit properties?

Says its +18, but i can do 1P against most of the cast - a 21f move - and it will still CH, however the same setup won't CH Jacky. Seems that everything 18f or below can CH Jacky (which makes sense) but higher frame moves CH others (haven't tested the whole cast)

4. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

I also noticed that [1][P] will counter hit despite connecting past the +18 window, very strange.

5. Oruko_Saki

Oruko_Saki Member

I would like to ask which of Jean`s moves take away from Shun`s drink charge and how much.

Also is there any kick attack that stops a sidestep? Maybe 1P?

6. TeeZed

TeeZed Well-Known Member

http://virtuafighter.com/commands/index.php?ver=5fsa&chara=jean

On the far right hand side there's a column called "Sober" That's how many points it'll take away if it lands [​IMG]

7. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

I did some testing with [6][6][P] and it looks like even though it gives +18 on hit, the opponent can cancel his hitstun by guarding a move.

I set the CPU to 'guard and respond with throw'. Then I do a [P] (guarded), [6][6][P] which hits. No matter what move I do afterward, it's guarded. Doing a throw immediately doesn't work either because the opponent is in hitstun.

So it looks like you can't use it for a guaranteed followup, though you can set up a nice charged attack or [4][6][K]+[G] or something similar.

8. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Yes, you cannot evade either. You want to mix it in with [2][K][K] as it will lead to knock down. Also, [4][6][P]+[K] guard break is good here if you know the will block high. [6][6][P]/another mid if they try ducking.

9. StickyStaines

StickyStaines Member

So is there no real explanation of why his 66P post-hit properties vary/generally don't make sense?

EDIT: Okay, i've started to test it more and it seems that if you get hit by 66P and you do:
    - Nothing
    - High Guard
    - Press a button (attack, throw etc)

then you will can be put into CH state from moves more than 18f, however if you:

- Hold any direction (up, down, left, right and all diagonals)
    - Low Guard
    - Jump

Then you will be put into a normal hit state. I assume that when you try to move, you are put out of the stun state and it just acts like a normal move from there on. Whats really interesting though is that holding Guard doesn't put you out of that stun state, which is the goto option if you are in that stun.

There is a way around this. You are able to do stuff after 18f, such as try to hit a button, evade, try jump etc etc. However, just holding high guard won't take you out of the stun animation if you are holding guard before the 18 frames are up. But what you can do is hold guard AFTER the 18f. If you do that, then even if you get hit by a low it will count as NH and you will end up with the advantage.

Dunno how useful that info is. Might be good against Jean if they get 66P against the wall and don't want to risk evading, but don't want to get low hit staggered into the wall. It's at least interesting to see how it works.

10. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

It was just explained in the previous two posts.

11. StickyStaines

StickyStaines Member

It's not the fact that post-66P can be guarded; that's obvious. It's the fact that you get CH on moves more than 18f. I edited the previous post anyway explaining my findings.

12. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Oh that, my mistake.

13. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Why is it I sometimes see the stagger icon come up when I land 46P+K on block and sometimes I don't? When I don't does that mean they have shaken out of it before it has even appeared?

14. QuickWhit

QuickWhit Member

Is anyone currently working on updating Jean's command list to reflect some of the finer details? For example, I would like to know specifically what [4]+[P]+[K]+[G] and [2]+[P]+[K]+[G] sabaki and for what frames of the animation the sabaki is active. After what attacks down attacks are guaranteed would also be good to have on there. I'm sure there is more that can go in there...

15. 2ndFace

2ndFace Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_2ndFace_x
    XBL:
    X2ndFaceX
    Just did some testing with the [4]+[P]+[K]+[G] and [2]+[P]+[K]+[G] sabakis.
    The [4] Version beats high and mid single handed punches and elbows from frames 1 to 13
    The [2] version beats all low and special low punches from frames 2 to 16
    Next is the [2][3][6] [P]+[K] sabaki, but that might be a little trickier to work out.

On a sidenote: If You don't do the followup after the sabaki You get a higher advantage the later the sabaki becomes active.
    The low version ranged from +6 to +19 real advantage.
    That's a free launcher when the opponent tries to [2] [P] You when he's at -4 [​IMG]

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'm working right now, so maybe you can test this out before I get a chance to :p But I am wondering if the parries work or fail against knockdown (on normal hit) attacks.

If I get a chance to test it before you, I'll let you now!

17. 2ndFace

2ndFace Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_2ndFace_x
    XBL:
    X2ndFaceX
    The Parry works against Lei-Fei's full charged lunge punch.
    Did it on reaction in ranked a couple of times.

18. ninjakamui

ninjakamui New Member

i am a beginner in vf5, i would like to know if is possibile to change the right guard position in to the leff guard position without perform a punch or a kick.
    Thanks

19. Dae

Dae Member

XBL:
    Daemondym
    Jean does not have a position switch that does not involve some sort of punch or kick.

Luckily, Jean is also not a heavy into closed/open stance character, as his combos tend to work in either stance, so, don't worry too much about your stance with Jean.

20. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Here's an answer that no-one asked for.

[4][6][P]+[K](on F0)[K](F24-28)[P](up to F43)[P](up to F59)[K](up to F75)[P](up to F89)[K](F102-105).

[4][3][P]+[K][K](F19-25)[6][P](up to F39)[4][6][K](up to F60).

Feel free to put it somewhere appropriate.